The Fallen Angel

by Daniel Silva

Series: Gabriel Allon (12)

When a body is found beneath Michelangelo's dome, Gabriel Allon is summoned to secretly investigate the death that has been ruled a suicide--a case that brings about an unthinkable act of sabotage.

English (39)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (41)
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
Another gem from author Daniel Silva. Gabriel Allon is working on restoring a Caravaggio painting owned by the Vatican when an art curator falls to her death in St. Peters. Monsignor Donati and the Pope want her death investigated quietly because she was involved in a special project surrounding the provenance of the Vatican's collection. Gabriel discovers that an Italian mobster is selling stolen antiquities to fund terrorist activities of Hezbollah. Gabriel is almost killed by a bomb and thwarts a catastrophe as a feint to hide a bombing that would unite the Arab world against Israel. Great intrigue. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Maybe it's because I didn't realize this was right in the middle of a series. Maybe it's because I was interested in the mystery of who killed the lady in the Basilica but you find out less than half way through. Maybe it's because I felt like I was being told a history lesson every third page so was pulled out of the story. Or maybe it's because there were so many names (none of which were familiar) that I couldn't concentrate on the plot and instead was trying to figure out who everyone. Could be that I shouldn't have listened to this as an audiobook (has nothing to do with the narrator because I've listened to this guy in the past and have had zero issues). Either way, I just couldn't get into this book. I just didn't care about ANY of it. I really feel like it was me and not the book; I couldn't just give it one star if it was me. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
I'm a fan of Silva's, and I really like the Gabriel Allon series. This was another good story. Maybe 4.5 stars, but maybe one too many implausible, superhuman heroic acts, hence, the small down-grade. Well worth reading, and I look forward to the next book of his that I pick up. ( )
  Picathartes | Dec 6, 2020 |
This is a great spy series that combines fast paced action with some good historical background. I like the team that accompany Gabriel on his missions. Even as side characters, they're complex and have interesting diverse backgrounds. The plots for the different stories are clever and realistic enough to leave you wondering if there is some truth to it. ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 4, 2020 |

Daniel Silvaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóth, AttilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I warn against shedding blood,
indulging in it and making a habit of it,
for blood never sleeps.

SALADIN
For Louis Toscano, who has been there from the beginning. And, as always, for my wife, Jamie, and my children, Lily and Nicholas.
It was Niccolò Moretti, caretaker of St. Peter's Basilica, who made the discovery that started it all.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,344,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible