The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle (1)

I thought this was going to be a book about a girl, her first love, and the kiss that would kill him. After all, that was the description. But, instead, it was about a girl and her fear of that kiss, a boy and his dream of finding a lost King, another boy and his ambition, another boy and his deep anger, and, finally, one more boy who was more and less than anyone suspected. It was about a family, no, two families. It was about Blue and her mother, aunts, cousins, and all the women who live in her house and all their different types of magic. And it was about the family Gansey made, with Adam, Ronan, and Noah; the family that Blue joined without even realizing it was happening.

I dove into this book like I was following a ley line right alongside them. I wanted to see where it went; I wanted to find Owen Glendower. Mostly, I wanted to spend time with these characters.

There's a huge emphasis on money in this book: who has it, who doesn't. It's almost overwhelming the way they talk about it. I kept wanting them to recognize that it was more than money issues, it was classism, but I think the author showed that even as her teenaged characters didn't outright speak about it. And it does make sense, as Gansey, Ronan, and Noah are wealthy private school boys, while Adam works three jobs to supplement his scholarship to the same private school, and Blue and her family are not well off. But I kept waiting for it to make *more* sense--to be a vital part of the story. Since it wasn't, it felt a bit much.

Still, I loved this book. I'm here for the entire series. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Re-reading this was one of the best things I've done. The Raven Boys still is a book I thoroughly enjoy. Though it and its sequels definitely have issues here and there, Stiefvater's writing has really grown from what it was in The Wolves of Mercy Falls and The Scorpio Races. The boys still are amazing, the plot twist with Noah still has me sort of gasping every time I read about it and this world of Glendower and the leylines I just can't help falling in love with. ( )
  ancientbookbride | Sep 11, 2018 |
I have very mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it was interesting enough to keep me listening until the end. On the other hand, the plot was too jumbled, the writing was not that polished, and there were other issues that kept me from giving this a higher rating.

Likes:
-The twists (most of them). They kept me invested in the story and weren't predictable.
-Blue. I liked that she was a character surrounded by supernatural powers who possessed no real powers of her own, and who goes on a quest just to bring a little magic to her life.

Dislikes:
-The cross-genre. I like cross-genres in general (historical fiction plus fantasy, sci-fi plus fantasy, etc.). But for some reason this didn't do it for me, this paranormal plus...adventure? Treasure hunting? It just seemed strange and they didn't mesh well.
-Too many characters. Having a lot of characters works in some books. It didn't in this one. I couldn't get attached to all of them. I think the plot would have worked much better with the elimination of Calla, Persephone, Neeve, and Adam. All of their individual stories could have been combined with other characters'.
-The ending. I get it...you want to end your book on another twist. But it isn't really a "twist" if we don't know what you're talking about! Ronan pulled his raven Chainsaw from his dreams? What?! Obviously this little tidbit leading into the second book, The Dream Thieves, but seems tacked on solely for that purpose. Otherwise it's without context, especially in that particular conversation at the end.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
i love my sweet children, Blue, Noah, Ronan, Adam and uh *stares at smudged writing on my hand* Garfunkel ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
que raio de final foi aquele?!?!?!? ainda não sei quanto vou dar.
  Joana_v_v | Aug 10, 2018 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them--not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble. But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He has it all--family money, good looks, devoted friends--but he's looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little. For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,001,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible