The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle (1)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)
Recently added bybecca14, kpetz, private library, zayadamss, KaryssBetzen, ROGUE501, Khara2275, rena75, Slytherinlife

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater was a recommended read on some or other BookTube channel, and I thought: “Why not? It’s sounds like my type of book”, and golly gosh, was it ever?! The story started off a bit slow, which is understandable considering Stiefvater first needed to introduce us to the characters and whatnot, but when I finally got into the groove of things, it was a pleasant read. I love Maggie Stiefvater’s writer’s voice, I love the way the characters develop, and let me just say that I found the story to be quite unique. What I liked most was that although there’s a romance element in the book, it’s not overwhelming or corny. That’s a definite win for me.

Usually, one would expect a YA book to be of a lesser quality, because let’s face it the YA genre is one of the most popular genres at the moment, but Stiefvater has a way of using each word to her advantage. The story is beautifully written, it flows well, and The Raven Boys’ pace is just wonderful. In other words, you won’t be disappointed in the writing. The story itself is gripping enough to keep you turning the pages, and let me just say that as soon as you’ve been introduced to the main players in the book, you’ll fall in love with them. Adam, Gansey, Noah, Ronan, and Blue, are so lovable! Not to mention, the psychic women living at 300 Fox Way …

The Raven Boys is definitely worth a read, especially if you’re looking for something a bit different as far as plot-lines are concerned. The Welsh mythology is subtle, yes, but it’s woven into the rest of the story in such a way as to make it stand out without becoming a nuisance.

In other words, I loved it! ( )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
I listened to the audiobook and Will Patton does an amazing job bringing this well written book to life. I loved that it is written from all the different characters perspective, that makes it so much more interesting.

I listen to books while I am at work and typically go from one book to the next. Not with this one. My mind took a full day to process everything I had just read. . . well, heard. Thats when you know its a good book ( )
  mitsuzanna | Sep 26, 2019 |
Listened to the whole cycle on audiobook. The final book felt like it lost its way a bit, but I was so invested in the characters it didn't matter too much. Quests for ancient Welsh kings in rural Virginia are awesome. Love these books! ( )
  Zaiga | Sep 23, 2019 |
This book is splendid. It's sharp and canny and subtle and sly, it's full of characters with piercing wants and sensible reasons, it's a marvellous blend of cold reality and uncaring magic - and vice versa. I loved reading it, and I am so very happy with the shape of it at completion. I feel like anything else I could say would spoil something, because this book is so delicately balanced and immaculately poised, so I'll leave it there: a delight. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
I am not normally a big YA reader and I found this book slow to get going. By the end I loved it though. Great writing and appealingly flawed characters. I really want to find out what they get up to next! ( )
  alexenglishauthor | Jul 11, 2019 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,914,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible