The Raven Boys

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle (1)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

I was debating between 3 or 4 stars, but decided that regardless of my feelings and enjoyment of the book, it is solidly a 3 star novel. It is a lot of fun and I made sure to check out the sequel from the library before I finished The Raven Boys so I could binge uninterrupted, but this book does have faults that lands it as an unenjoyable, must read 3 star book.

It is fun, but slow to start. I almost DNF, but kept on reading anyway and am glad I chose to do so, but I can't recommend this book without the caveat of its slow start. Also, the summary puts the focus all on Blue and her story, but it is an ensemble cast with the story revolving more around Gansey. There are also no teenage girls in this book, the only girl close to Blue's age being Declan's girlfriend, who Adam calls "Girlfriend" in his POV chapters because she is seen as an expendable fling. The women in Blue's life, her mother, aunt, and her mother's friends, are well done and their intelligence isn't degraded to prop up the teens, so it could be worse. But I wish there was at least two teenage girls in this book. I like reading YA for the abundance of female characters ubiquitous in YA that, in other genres, you can reliably find in romance or women's fiction, so the false advertisement irritated me. In another vein, public schools vs private schools are a hot topic in the book, but we only see the boys in class once. It's really weird. Also the kids are also so obsessed with money and their careers that I mentally thought of them as university students because it made more sense than high school students. ( )
  amybear | May 8, 2021 |
This book was good, and I thought the magic system was interesting and the set up intriguing. However, it never really grabbed me, and the ending felt very anti-climatic. If you are looking for a unique YA fantasy, I would recommend it. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Apr 23, 2021 |
I went in with high expectations, and it did not miss a beat. Loved the characters (figured out about Noah early enough that I was confused about why the other characters hadn't, but it was chilling that they didn't know), loved the authenticity of the setting...just loved, loved, loved, and jumped into the sequel the moment I finished. ( )
  clrichm | Apr 19, 2021 |
I really liked this. The combination of the boys looking for the ley lines and Blue and her family's abilities was really good. I'm going to the library to get the second book.

I was a reluctant to try this book, because I tried to read this author's [b:Shiver|6068551|Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)|Maggie Stiefvater|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1409283154s/6068551.jpg|6244926], but couldn't get into it. I was assured by several people that this was nothing like that book, and that it was really good. I'm so happy I took their advice. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
3.5* ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, Adam S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,130,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible