The Raven Boys (2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle (1)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

English (351)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (353)
I first read this in high school and, as cringey as it sounds, at the time, I really enjoyed books that was just token girl who I could relate to because she was "different" and group of boys who were good friends and yeah there was romance but it's a subplot. A side story.

The whole series was solid. ( )
  Adlanji | Sep 7, 2022 |
Took a little getting into, but the characters are amazing in this story. I became fascinated by all of them. Uniquely told. ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
I'm a bit unsure of how to rate this. The overall story is interesting, as are some of the characters. The writing is okay for the most part, but I wouldn't call it good writing in any way or at any point. There is a lot hinted at but not explained, the characters behave and react in ways that don't seem natural or believable, and some are just annoying. The author seems to have a fixation with pointing out people's wealth or lack of it, and doesn't allow for any middle-ground when it comes to the characters' perceptions of others in relation to wealth. The main character is your typical, cookie-cutter YA female protagonist, rude and biting at boys who treat her politely, misrepresenting their words and behavior in a negative light, and disregarding any parental authority as if she's the one in charge as a teenager.

Still, it has some neat concepts to the story and I'm glad to have read it. I'm not sure that I will rush to finish the series, though, or if I will ever continue it. ( )
  jessoftheBooks | Aug 23, 2022 |
I had to work to continue reading this book. It never fully captured my attention and the characters felt harsh and unwelcoming. ( )
  ArcherKel | Aug 17, 2022 |

ayoshina | Jul 31, 2022 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, Adam S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore
Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,068,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible