Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Books of…

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Books of Wonder)

by Lewis Carroll

Other authors: John Tenniel (Illustrator)

This about a girl who fell through a tree stump into another world. The world was full of magic and obstacles she had to over come. This book is appropriate for any age. ( )
  VictoriaVivians | Jun 9, 2017 |
This novel and its' counterpart, Through the Looking Glass, form a unique portrayal of fantasy that can be enjoyed by both children and adults. Adults may also appreciate the wonderful wordplay and levels of humor that make these books classics. I first read this as a young boy when I fell in love with the characters and the poetry and the flights of imagination of Lewis Carroll. I also was mesmerized by the famous Tenniel illustrations that augmented the story from almost every other page. From the moment that Alice saw the Rabbit through her many encounters with other magical characters in Wonderland this book quickly became one of my favorites and has remained so for more than fifty years. ( )
  jwhenderson | Oct 22, 2015 |
I've read this three times now. Once to myself as a kid, once aloud to my oldest and just finished reading it alound to my youngest. A classic for the young and old, boy or girl. I do find that the first half of the book is much better than the second half and I always skip over the poems of which I'm not a fan. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 5, 2007 |

Carroll, Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tenniel, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book contains Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass.

(From a different user) Is the disambiguation comment above accurate? Does ISBN 0688110878 contain both Alice novels? Neither Amazon nor the Harper Collins website mention it including "Through the Looking Glass". Perhaps a user who has this edition can clear this up, and combine this entry with the appropriate one (either work 8288 or work 777000).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688110878, Hardcover)

Source of legend and lyric, reference and conjecture, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is for most children pure pleasure in prose. While adults try to decipher Lewis Carroll's putative use of complex mathematical codes in the text, or debate his alleged use of opium, young readers simply dive with Alice through the rabbit hole, pursuing "The dream-child moving through a land / Of wonders wild and new." There they encounter the White Rabbit, the Queen of Hearts, the Mock Turtle, and the Mad Hatter, among a multitude of other characters--extinct, fantastical, and commonplace creatures. Alice journeys through this Wonderland, trying to fathom the meaning of her strange experiences. But they turn out to be "curiouser and curiouser," seemingly without moral or sense.

For more than 130 years, children have reveled in the delightfully non-moralistic, non-educational virtues of this classic. In fact, at every turn, Alice's new companions scoff at her traditional education. The Mock Turtle, for example, remarks that he took the "regular course" in school: Reeling, Writhing, and branches of Arithmetic-Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision. Carroll believed John Tenniel's illustrations were as important as his text. Naturally, Carroll's instincts were good; the masterful drawings are inextricably tied to the well-loved story. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

Legacy Library: Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lewis Carroll's legacy profile.

See Lewis Carroll's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible