True Believer by Virginia Euwer Wolff

True Believer (2001)

by Virginia Euwer Wolff

5441918,436 (3.89)8

Wolff makes the characters seem so real- the reader can't help but cheer LaVaughn on and applaud her strong mother. ( )
  acote | Feb 27, 2016 |
Sequel to "Make Lemonade." "We will rise to the occasion, which is life." This is the mantra of La Vaughn's teacher in her grammar tutorial group. La Vaughn is facing many challenges as she works to rise to the occasion and someday escape the crime and depression of her low-income neighborhood. But when Jody, a former classmate, moves back to La VAughn's apartment building, more handsome than she remembers, the goal of college seems a lot more remote than going with Jody to a school dance and getting kissed.

Audio review: Narrated by Heather Alicia Sims. Ms Sims gives perfect voice to La Vaughn as a thoughtful, intelligent and determined teenaged girl striving to overcome setbacks and succeed in what she believes.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I read the first book in this trilogy as a library school student in a young adult literature class. At first I couldn't place where I recognized the characters from but as I continued to read I remembered LeVann and eventually Jolly and her two children.

I really enjoyed this book. I felt so proud listening to Levonn better herself. She was so impressive dealing with all the things around her. Sometimes I felt like her mother was overly tough on her, but then other times I could see how easy it would be to slip and totally understood why she as so tough on Levonn. ( )

for Marilyn E. Marlow
My name is LaVaughn and I am 15.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689852886, Paperback)

At 15, LaVaughn already knows that life is hard and that getting ahead takes a strong mind and an even stronger will. Surrounded by poverty and violence, she strives every day not to be just another inner-city statistic: "My hope is strong like an athlete. Every morning when we walk through the metal detectors to get into school ... it is an important day of dues-paying so I can go to college and be out of here." Last year when she babysat for Jolly, a young unwed mother, she saw firsthand how an unplanned pregnancy can diminish options. So she ignores the boys, studies hard, and hopes it will all be enough to get her into college. Then Jody moves back into the neighborhood. Once LaVaughn's childhood friend, Jody is now "suddenly beautiful... He could be in movies the way the parts of his face go together." If LaVaughn's choices were difficult before Jody, now they're almost impossible. What LaVaughn doesn't know is that Jody has difficult decisions of his own to make--decisions that could turn her carefully ordered world upside down.

The second novel in a proposed trilogy, True Believer picks up where the acclaimed Make Lemonade left off. Virginia Euwer Wolff's verse-prose is as sumptuous as ever, and her descriptions of LaVaughn's day-to-day life and feelings are sympathetic and achingly real. Readers will be eager to see where LaVaughn's choices take her in Wolff's next installment. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Living in the inner city amidst guns and poverty, fifteen-year-old LaVaughn learns from old and new friends, and inspiring mentors, that life is what you make it--an occasion to rise to.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible