The Pigman

by Paul Zindel

Series: Pigman (1)

Two high school sophomores from unhappy homes form a close friendship with a lonely old man with a terrible secret.

This novel was first published in the 1960s and it was considered controversial because it was about youth and teens misbehaving and taking advantage of others. The story ends tragically when the main character dies, and he has been taken advantage of by the teens he had befriended. It was one of the first Young Adult Literature novels to portray the youth of the time in a more realistic manner and not in a positive way.

Teaching the Pigman- Resources for Teachers
https://study.com/academy/topic/teaching-the-pigman.html ( )
  KylerJones | Apr 25, 2021 |
Date approximate ( )
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
This was a sad read. In a nice way, but still sad ( )
  HeyMimi | Dec 28, 2020 |
I don't like books about self-destructive teenagers who make bad choices and then whine in self-pity. This book made me cringe in all the bad ways, and the message about compassion for others gets lost in the weirdness of the character relationships and choices. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Writing: 4.0; Theme: 4.5; Content: 3.5; Language: 4.5; Overall: 4.0; Mr. Zindel has an interesting style of writing. This story and style of writing seems similar to S.E. Hinton (Outsiders, Rumble Fish, etc.). John and Lorraine are best friends, but they have very different ideals on life. John, the funny comedian, decides to deceive an elderly and lonely man into giving him ten dollars for charity. Lorraine, on the other hand, despises John's decision to trick Mr. Pignati, especially since Pignati has opened his house and life to them. Soon after, Mr. Pignati suffers a stroke and is hospitalized. The suffering is only beginning. The story has touching moments, but also has plenty of disrespectful and troubling moments as well. Recommend, with cautions. ***September 10, 2020*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Sep 10, 2020 |

Paul Zindelprimary authorall editionscalculated
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Boy and Girl of Stapleton
Being of sound mind and body on this 15th day of April in our sophomore year at Franklin High School, let it be known that Lorraine Jensen and John Conlon have decided to record the facts, and only the facts about our experiences with Mr. Angelo Pignati.
We had trespassed too-been where we didn't belong, and we were being punished for it. Mr. Pignati had paid with his life. But when he died, something in us had died as well.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,737,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible