Zelda: A Biography by Nancy Milford

Zelda: A Biography (1970)

by Nancy Milford

Recently added byprivate library, RevDon, AnitaDTaylor, TigerBeast79, LKAYC, janetyfair, KarenCarlberg, ssaiph, bonevivant
Legacy LibrariesLawrence Durrell

Poor Zelda!!oh my. I never would have trudged thru this entire book if not for the introduction that implied Patti Smith read/finished this book. The part about Save me the Waltz became so excruciating long with an entire synopsis of the book I skipped the entire 2nd part of the chapter.

I'd like to visit their graves in Maryland.

Such a sad story about a brilliant woman. I suppose it is inevitable that Zelda's story can not be told without Scott's story and vice versa. But so much Scott and even though he took care of her he was the major cause of her mental illness or exacerbated it.

What would he have become without her? Maybe nothing but a hack alcoholic writer. And as he mused, she may have married a boring hometown boy and led a hometown boring life.

I suppose the world should be glad their paths crossed that fateful evening at the Montgomery country club. ( )
  Alphawoman | Mar 9, 2018 |
DNF
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
All the dirt on one of the most tumultuous relationships in literature. F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda had one of those love/hate relationships that we all recognize as being ultimately doomed. Takes us back to the jazz age, throws in a bunch of alcohol, and then stirs things up. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
The biography of Zelda Fitzgerald, wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald. This book gives us a look at a literary couple during the 20's and 30's. I found it interesting but it bogged down at times with the exchange of letters between the couple. Zelda's letters at times were hard to follow. I also thought that Scott became the lead character at times. She led a tragic life because of her illness. F. Scott was less than wonderful. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 6, 2014 |
"Zelda necking with young men because she liked the shapes of their noses or the cut of their dinner jackets"

That was the only time I understood her...just a little.

I wasn't in love with Zelda from the start but her story is a fascinating one. It makes for good reading even if the lead doesn't captivate. ( )
  Tinamonster | Feb 14, 2014 |
Für Kenneth - in Dankbarkeit und Liebe
Für Matthew und Jessica Kate
If there was a confederate establishment in the Deep South, Zelda Sayre came from the heart of it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Zelda Sayre began as a Southern beauty, became an international wonder, and died by fire in a madhouse. With her husband, F. Scott Fitzgerald, she moved in a golden aura of excitement, romance, and promise. The epitome of the Jazz Age, together they rode the crest of the era: to its collapse and their own. From years of exhaustive research, Nancy Milford brings alive the tormented, elusive personality of Zelda and clarifies as never before her relationship with` Scott Fitzgerald. Zelda traces the inner disintegration of a gifted, despairing woman, torn by the clash between her husband's career and her own talent.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible