A Testament of Devotion

by Thomas R. Kelly

Other authors: Douglas V. Steere (Biographical memoir author)

Since its first publication in 1941, A Testament of Devotion, by the renowned Quaker teacher Thomas Kelly, has been universally embraced as a truly enduring spiritual classic. Plainspoken and deeply inspirational, it gathers together five compelling essays that urge us to center our lives on God's presence, to find quiet and stillness within modern life, and to discover the deeply satisfying and lasting peace of the inner spiritual journey. As relevant today as it was a half-century ago, A Testament of Devotion is the ideal companion to that highest of all human arts-the lifelong conversation between God and his creatures. I have in mind something deeper than the simplification of our external programs, our absurdly crowded calendars of appointments through which so many pantingly and frantically gasp. These do become simplified in holy obedience, and the poise and peace we have been missing can really be found. But there is a deeper, an internal simplification of the whole of one's personality, stilled, tranquil, in childlike trust listening ever to Eternity's whisper, walking with a smile into the dark."… (more)

The book is a truly enduring spiritual classic. Plainspoken and deeply inspirational, it gathers together five compelling essays that urge us to center our lives on God's presence, to find quiet and stillness within modern life, and to discover the deeply satisfying and lasting peace of the inner spiritual journey.
  PAFM | May 14, 2021 |
  PAFM | May 14, 2021 |
A spiritual classic worthy of your best attention. One I plan to read again. ( )
  nrt43 | Dec 29, 2020 |
I’ve read this book a couple of times now. And I’ll read it again. Published in 1941, its message is truer today than it was 80 years ago. ( )
  DwaynesBookList | Aug 14, 2020 |
This book contains six essays: A Biographical Memoir by Douglas Steere, The Light Within, Holy Obedience, The Blessed Community, The Eternal Now and Social Concern and The Simplification of Life.
The power and appeal of this book is seen by the fact that it has remained in print from 1941 to the present (2018).
Kelly uses the voice of mid and late 20 century Quaker.
A contemporary devotional classic. Insightful, thought-provoking, challenging yet forgiving. Published posthumously, it is itself a testament to Kelly's life and work
  WandsworthFriends | Jun 3, 2018 |

Kelly, Thomas R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steere, Douglas V.Biographical memoir authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, Richard J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Since its first publication in 1941, A Testament of Devotion, by this renowned Quaker teacher has been universally embraced as a truly enduring spiritual classic. Plainspoken and deeply inspirational, it gathers together five compelling essays that urge us to centre our lives on God's presence, to find quiet and stillness within modern life, and to discover the deeply satisfying and lasting peace of the inner spiritual journey. As relevant today as it was a half-century ago, A Testament of Devotion is the ideal companion to that highest of all human arts-the lifelong conversation between God and his/her/its creatures.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,126,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible