The Lurking Fear and Other Stories (1971)

by H. P. Lovecraft

Twelve soul-chilling stories by the master of horror will leave you shivering in your boots and afraid to go out in the night. Only H.P. Lovecraft can send your heart racing faster than it's ever gone before. And here are the stories to prove it.

The collection contains The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Of the Lovecraft stories I've read, this is one of the best. ( )
  zeropluszeroisone | Jan 30, 2022 |
Another nasty one. In spite of what I said earlier about my appreciation for Lovecraft's corrupt protagonists, it was rather nice to run across one who wasn't himself revolting. Unfortunately, I thought this was going to throw some light on the terrible beyond (when he mentioned that he had finally found one of the horrors we are normally protected from by our limited senses), but then it turned into another encounter with inbred white apes. Lovecraft found the idea of devolution hideous, let me tell you.

(Moved 2016 review to the individual work Sept. 2017 to make room to review the collection under its own entry.) ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
I really love the storytelling here, but holy *censored* that's some racism front and center. Makes Kipling's Empire-centric stuff look like dabbling. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Wow the racism
  mirnanda | Dec 27, 2019 |
This is not the 12-story collection originally published by Ballantine/Del Rey in 1971, reprinted in several editions, with different covers, and which seems to be the subject of most, if not all, of the other reviews under this title.

This is the 1947 11-story collection published by Avon Books, their catalog #136, later re-released with the title Cry Horror! The stories in this book are: The Lurking Fear, The Colour Out of Space, The Nameless City, Pickman's Model, Arthur Jermyn, The Unnameable, The Call of Cthulhu, The Moon-Bog, Cool Air, The Hound, The Shunned House.

The two books have only 5 stories in common, including the title. ( )
  Androphiles | Jul 5, 2019 |

Beyond the Wall of Sleep
From Beyond
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The White Ship

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,979,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible