If You Made a Million by David M. Schwartz

If You Made a Million (1989)

by David M. Schwartz

Other authors: Steven Kellogg (Illustrator)

Series: Million by Schwartz

"If You Made a Million" teaches kids all about money. The book starts off small, with a penny, a nickel, a dime, etc. It eventually builds to 1 million dollars, and each amount of money is explained with smaller value coins or one-dollar bills (example: 100 dollars is 100 one-dollar bills, or ten thousand pennies). The weight and height of the stacks of dollar bills and pennies is shown as well. The purposes of banks are also explained, as well as interest and loans. The reader is told that for larger sums of money, checks should be used; it is then explained how checks work, and how the bank actually gets the money to the person with the check. When the children in the book earn one million dollars, they are shown many different things they could buy with it, but are also told that if they put it in the bank, the amount of interest earned would have them set for life. But it's explained that since it's their money, they can choose what to do with it, which is what makes money fun. One thing I really enjoyed from this book is when the children are told that just because a job pays well doesn't mean they should take the job; enjoying your job is more important than the money you make. I honestly really enjoyed this book, but that's most likely because I loved it as a kid and now I'm nostalgic for it. I think the concepts of banks, interest, and loans are explained really well, though the amount of interest that money accumulates now may be different from when this book was published (1989). To be honest, this book did make me a little depressed since money has less value than it did in the 80's. I don't even think you can buy anything with one cent anymore, contrary to what the book describes. Other than the possibility that this book may convince a child that they can buy something for one cent, I think that "If You Made a Million" is a great way to teach children about money. ( )
  awaldrup | Apr 27, 2019 |
This book caught my interest, because I wasn’t sure how a children’s book was going to make it up to a million. I was interested to find out that the book was using money. It was a very good book that provided a lot of information. I wanted to keep reading the book to see what was going to happen. My only concern is that it provided so much information that the book couldn’t be read in one sitting to the students. It would have to be broken down into different lessons.

The way this book provides information about math is through the use of money. In the beginning, it talks about different ways using the coins to make different amounts. The book also provides insights into how interests work paying the bank and getting money from the bank for loans. The book also provides information on how checks work. Even though the book talks about serious stuff that is important for even children to learn about, I found it to be funny and intriguing. The characters were involved in the story, just not as much as maybe they could have been. The book focuses more on the information than the characters and their growth. ( )
  cnemetz | Nov 26, 2018 |
This is a really great book to get the reader to understand the concept of money, banking, interest, and what a million looks like.The illustrator does a great job with illustrating the pictures throughout the book. I like how the reader can visually see the concept of how a ten dollar bill is worth the same as two five dollar bills or ten one dollar bills. I really like how the book also talks about banking and the concept of earning interest and writing checks. Hopefully, the reader will pick up a little information to help them understand some of these concepts. I would recommend this book for grades 3-6. ( )
  etranchant | Sep 8, 2018 |
I think these types of books are my favorite to read and look at. I love the illustrations the most because it seems so light-hearted but also realistic. With this book it gives the reader a clear vivid scale of what money is and what it means when you get more of it. I could really recommend these books to anyone because of how clear it states whatever it is talking discussing. ( )
  JasonCam1 | Apr 23, 2018 |
This was a book about money, how it is earned, how to count it, what it would look like stacked up, and tons of goofy ideas on what to buy with money. I thought this was a funny book that would keep children interested. Even though it has a lot of silly ideas on how to spend money it is still educational and the author was able to disguise the facts so that a child would be learning and not even realize it is a math book. ( )
  AubrieSmith | Apr 22, 2017 |

Schwartz, David M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellogg, StevenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This book can be used while teaching a math lesson on the concepts of Money and American currency.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688136346, Paperback)

Author David M. Schwartz and illustrator Steven Kellogg, who teamed up for the jubilant How Much Is a Million, have returned to the subject of money in If You Made a Million. Marvelosissimo the Mathematical Magician and his team of cheerful kids (and their multitude of animal friends) wield dusters, brooms, plungers, shovels, and cement as they take on feeding fish, dusting ducks, painting pots, transplanting trees, building bridges, and babysitting ogres. For each job, they'll be paid an appropriate amount of money. But soon the questions arise--what does that much money look like, and how can it be spent, saved, or used to pay off a loan?

"One dollar is worth as much as FOUR QUARTERS or TEN DIMES or TWENTY NICKELS or ONE HUNDRED PENNIES," Marvelosissimo explains, and we witness all the coins, crowding the page. How many and how high a stack is $100 in pennies? Ten thousand of them, in a stack 50-feet high, teeter precariously near a phenomenal airport where the gates are reached via tightrope. Next, Marvelosissimo takes readers to the Bank--a huge edifice complete with red carpets, carved slogans ("Save" and "Be Wise"), and frog attendants--where he explains the concepts of interest and bank loans. Grown-up text brings up the rear of the book, providing additional information on banks, interest and compound interest, checking accounts, loans, and income tax. Throughout, Kellogg's illustrations--highly detailed with silly objects, people, and animals--will keep kids' attention, but the pictures never detract from Schwartz's message that "enjoying your work is more important than money," and "making money means making choices." (Ages 4 to 8) --Ericka Lutz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:26 -0400)

Describes the various forms which money can take, including coins, paper money, and personal checks, and how it can be used to make purchases, pay off loans, or build interest in the bank.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,560,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible