dismiss

If You Made a Million (1989)

by David M. Schwartz

Other authors: Steven Kellogg (Illustrator)

Series: Million by Schwartz

9203716,212 (3.68)5
Describes the various forms which money can take, including coins, paper money, and personal checks, and how it can be used to make purchases, pay off loans, or build interest in the bank.

I see this book being used fantastically with a math lesson. Especially when introducing coins and money to younger groups. The author does a great job using words to describe how money works and the actual visuals from the illustrator add an additional visual aid. A teacher could also have the students use fake coins with this book. When I looked at the criteria for evaluating science and math books I think this book did a good job with encouraging math and making students think about money in their own lives. ( )
  Haley_dennis | Apr 27, 2020 |
The Marvelossimo the Mathematical Magician explains how exactly money works to the character, who starts out by earning one penny. Her penny grows and grows until it becomes one million dollars! Along the way, the magician explains the value of different coins and bills, their equivalents, how tall or how heavy that many coins of bills would be, interest, saving, spending, and investing. All of the important financial topics for children to be familiar with are explained in a simple, imaginative way. The book shows the magic of watching your money grow. I read this book as a child in school, and although I did not remember the book well, I remember doing a lesson based on it. This is a classic book that has been used as a tool for teaching money to children for many years. ( )
  dperkins9 | Apr 21, 2020 |
This book explains how money, investments, banks work. It explains how to save money and how to make a first million and how it would look like, how much it is. Every child needs to know financial literacy. it is a very important book. I love the illustrations too! ( )
  YUvarova | Nov 26, 2019 |
This short story is about Marvelosissimo the Mathematical Magician who helps the reader understand how money works. He helps earn money, invest that money, accrue dividends and interest, and then watch the savings grow. The author provides information about taxes, loans, checking and savings accounts, and other important financial information. I would also use this book in junction with Schwartz's How Much is A Million.[return][return]Informational Nonfiction[return]Reading Level: 4.1
  kristi_test_01 | Sep 12, 2019 |
  NMiller22 | Aug 14, 2019 |

Schwartz, David M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellogg, StevenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This book can be used while teaching a math lesson on the concepts of Money and American currency.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,259,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible