Lord Miles Vorkosigan has a problem that all his new power can't solve: unrequited love for the beautiful Ekaterin. But Miles knows that if a frontal assault won't do, he has a cunning plan, which, of course, has to be worked out in between District succession scandals and plans for the Emperor's wedding.… (more)
    Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: A Civil Campaign is Lois McMaster Bujold's attempt to replicate Gaudy Night -- with an infusion of Georgette Heyer -- in her long-running Vorkosigan Saga.
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Enyonam)
    Enyonam: Even though it's a young adult novel, The King of Attolia deals with some fairly mature themes, and has a protagonist who has a lot in common with Miles Vorkosigan.
    The Agent Gambit by Sharon Lee (CatherineCl)
    Knight Errant by K. D. Sarge (BeaconsBright)
    BeaconsBright: More great action-y space opera

English (59)  Italian (1)  All languages (60)
With A Civil Campaign, the author seems to try to introduce the science fiction audience to the Novel of Manners, complete with unwanted suitors, the backdrop of an upcoming royal wedding, and culminating in an awkward dinner party the reader knew would be awkward, but was actually epically awkward in a way that blew past my preconceptions. While I don't have any philosophical objections to this sort of book, I was only lukewarm on the plot until the second half, when Bujold intertwines Barrayaran politics into the story, which has always been a strength of the series. Nothing brings people together like being attacked by underhanded political opponents, which provides a nice out for the social missteps in the early book. By the end of the book, we're back to rooting for the protagonists to prevail, which of course happens in a satisfying manner. So, a slow start but a solid finish. ( )
  Phrim | May 21, 2021 |
I have enjoyed each and every Lois McMaster Bujold Vorkosigan story that I have read so far, but I expect this one, A Civil Campaign will hold a special place in my heart and memory. A great story filled with humor, romance and excitement, this book totally absorbed me for days. As Miles struggles to get his romance with Ekatrin launched, his brother Mark struggles to get his new butterbug business off the ground. The two brothers, along with their cousin Ivan play off each other constantly and the whole story is set against the detailed preparations for Emperor Gregor’s upcoming wedding.

Amid all the pomp and circumstance, Miles is carefully trying to woo Ekatarin, the lovely widow that he met in the previous book, but political enemies and his own blundering has Ekatarin turning down his first proposal, which took place during one of the funniest dinner party scenes I have ever read. But perhaps all is not lost, as Ekatarin finds herself thinking about the dwarfish yet talented Miles constantly. Meanwhile, Miles’ cloned brother, Mark, has romance and business problems of his own as he deals with an eccentric scientist in developing bugbutter, a revolutionary food source and tries to keep the love of his life at his side.

A Civil Campaign lives up to it’s subtile “A Comedy of Biology and Manners”. It is a wonderful blend of science fiction, romance and humor that was a very satisfying read. This well-crafted novel has great characters, interesting relationships, and plots that keep the pages turning. I would have to say that A Civil Campaign is my favorite read of 2021 so far. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 14, 2021 |
I *hate* social embarrassment stories. Nevertheless, this did it well, to the point that I could enjoy it despite some of the seriously cringe-worthy moments. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Having read through quite a lot of Vorkosigan novels the last couple of months I think what impresses me the most is how varied Bujold made them. They can be everything from an action adventure, to a mystery, to a "growing up" novel. Or a romance. This is a romance novel. At the end of Komarr Miles Vorkosigan and Madame Vorsoisson leave Komarr and this picks up their story the same week at Barrayar. The book has interleaved stories from the angles of Ivan, Miles and Ekatarin Vorsoisson. Make of that what you will.

This is one of the Miles novels I enjoy less. One reason is that there is too many characters. Another that the setting of the imperial wedding feels artificial. Some of the more funny parts involve reactions to Betan procedures. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |

Bujold, Lois McMasterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turner, PatrickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane, Charlotte, Georgette and Dorothy - long may they rule.
The big groundcar jerked to a stop centimeters from the vehicle ahead of it, and Armsman Pym, driving, swore under his breath.
Since the official job description of an Imperial Auditor was, in effect, Whatever You Say, Gregor, Miles could hardly argue with this. (chapter two)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,516,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible