Winger by Andrew Smith

Winger

by Andrew Smith

Series: Winger (1)

Two years younger than his classmates at a prestigious boarding school, fourteen-year-old Ryan Dean West grapples with living in the dorm for troublemakers, falling for his female best friend who thinks of him as just a kid, and playing wing on the Varsity rugby team with some of his frightening new dorm-mates.… (more)
Recently added byari_m, Mary1168, dsenefsky, rena75

It always makes me uncomfortable when I feel so negatively about something everyone else seems to love... I found the ending of this book disturbing in exactly the wrong way, and I feel like I need to talk about it - See more (with SPOILERS) at: http://www.parenthetical.net/2013/06/11/review-winger-by-andrew-smith ( )
  SamMusher | Sep 7, 2019 |
This a typical boarding school book where the characters get into all kinds of situations ranging from bullying about sexual orientation to jealousy over romantic interests.

Over all, the story was enjoyable. It had moments that had me literally laughing (SCREAMING NED!!!) to tearing up at the ending scene. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I found Winger at my local bookstore and immediately bought it. I was so excited for it that I didn't even bother to check the reviews. There was a steady narrative, a setting with unique possibilities, and... there has to be something else. So many people gave this book five stars; there must be another positive thing I'm forgetting... wait, no there isn't. It wasn't a compelling story. Ryan was incredibly smart (a junior at a prestigious school at 14), on the rugby team, had a good group of friends, and had two ~sexy~ girls crushing on him yet he’s presented as the underdog. I definitely understand showing him trying to deal with his bully of a roommate (that's a tought thing to deal with), but when Ryan trying to decide between which girl he wanted to date was presented as an equally pressing problem, this book lost me. I find it hilarious that so many people see Ryan as the prefect representation of a teen guy but if a girl was was in the same situation everyone would be screaming “mary sue!!!”

There were quite of a few shitty gay jokes that made me uncomfortable but I powered through and then the one gay character ended up beaten to death. I'm just really uncomfortable and upset. It's incredibly homophobic to kill off the one gay character and tie his death to him being gay so Ryan can learn a lesson because this exploits the very real suffering of LGBTQ people for the author’s personal use as a catalyst for character development. Shockingly, us LGBTQ people exist for more than just dying to further the development of the straight main character.

I'm surprised the author found a way to drag this out for 400 pages, and that people enjoyed reading all of those 400 pages.

captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
ok. ok oh my god. so i'm cruising along this book and it's fucking hilarious see, i usually don't really laugh out loud but i definitely did. and i was like wow! this is a really good book about a boarding school!

i mean, god, the characters were so full of life. ryan dean was hilarious. totally 14-year-old boy, but hilarious all the same. it was annoying how he treated the girls and kinda gross but it was also pretty in character and hilarious, and it was kinda weird how so many sixteen year olds liked ryan dean and the characters were great and hilarious without being caricatures. one thing i found really irritating is how ryan dean mentioned joey was gay in literally every scene.

but. oh my god. THE ENDING. i started having a feeling something bad was going to happen which is weird because it was a comedy you know and then the ending happened and i fucking bawled. jesus. okay so this was a really good book. wow. wow. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,376,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible