Dead Ever After

by Charlaine Harris

Other authors: Lisa Desimini (Cover artist)

Series: Sookie Stackhouse (13)

2,1261745,748 (3.4)1 / 96
When Sookie learns the reason why Eric's vampires are keeping their distance from her, she is devastated. Then a shocking murder rocks Bon Temps, and Sookie is arrested for the crime in this final Sookie Stackhouse novel.

I saw the ending coming many books ago, but it didn't make it much easier for me to swallow. However, If feel like the worst part about this book is that it didn't grab me the way the other books did. Sure, I read it in a day, and sure, parts of it were enjoyable. Overall though, it dragged, and certain characters that I had loved previously were so changed and/or hardly present that it felt like a totally different author had written the book. So, a bland and underwhelming ending to a previously enjoyable and fun series. ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
A fitting end to the saga of Sookie Stackhouse. This book offers what one has come to expect and once again Charlaine Harris does an excellent job of getting readers into Sookie's head and world. It's certainly not the one in the series with the most twists - it's easy to figure out most of the mystery before it's revealed - but it does a good job of tying up the loose ends left after the last book.

And, of course, I can't help but think that if True Blood had followed the books a bit more closely, the last two seasons wouldn't have been ridiculous as they were and the show might not be ending. ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
Meh. I think I made a boo boo by reading the previous two novels to remind myself where the story was up to and all I noticed was how often Sookie had a shower and shaved her legs. A very flaccid ending to an otherwise enjoyable series. ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
She was told there would be consequences for using the cluviel dor, great magic like that could not be used without consequences. But even with her telepathic abilities she could never have foreseen this outcome. Saving Sam was a decision that she would gladly make again, saving Sam was a choice that made little difference to her life, and yet saving Sam was going to change her life forever.

Being framed for murder is no picnic, neither is sharing a jail cell with Jane Bodehouse the morning after one of her nights on the drink, which for Jane happened to be about every night. But even with little evidence against her there are those who will be glad to see Sookie go down, one way or another. But before this mystery comes to a conclusion there will be more then one revelation and more then one victim dead ever after.

Dead Ever After is one way to describe her past relationships. In this, Sookie's final adventure, old enemies return for a last showdown and final attempt to kill our favourite telepathic barmaid heroine. The last in this series, this story bring to a close all those questions you had about the fate of this fairy blooded southern belle and the small town she calls home. If you have been following this series then this book is a must. ( )
  LarissaBookGirl | Aug 2, 2021 |
My wife and I started reading these around the time True Blood was announced, once we realized the TV show was based on a series of novels. Cheryl started first, and warned me that I wouldn't like them. When the show started, I wasn't that into the show either, but it grew on me. Needing some summer reading (I tend to go airport during the summers) I picked up the first three (in one volume). The first was a rather straightforward mystery, really the only standalone of the bunch. I've stuck with it until this one, the (supposed) last.

Honestly, sometimes I stuck with it out of stubbornness. The end wasn't quite to that level, but it wasn't that good. Sure, it's always nice to see how things are wrapped up, but one of the complaints I've had with Harris' Sookie novels is that there isn't that much of a plot to them. It's almost like she has a random supernatural occurrence engine that she plugs character names into, then writes her allotment for the day. For the last few novels, and more so in this last, the wrap-up to the "plot" just sorta happens, like "well, here's page 300, better not get crazy."

Still, the joys of series fiction are that you can instantly plunge into a context that is familiar, like visiting with friends. We've all experienced the occasional boring friend, right? That doesn't mean we're not interested in what's going on in their lives. So, too, with Sookie. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |

Harris, Charlaineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini , LisaCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the loyal readers who have followed this series from beginning to end.  Some of you were reading the books before True Blood, and some came after, but you were all amazingly generous with your ideas, speculations, and votes on Sookie's future.  There isn't a way I could make  all of you happy with the ending of the series, so I've followed my own plan, the one I've had all along, and I hope you agree that it's fitting.
JANUARY
The New Orleans businessman, whose gray hair put him in his fifties, was accompanied by his much younger and taller bodyguard/chauffeur on the night he met the devil in the French Quarter.  The meeting was by prearrangement.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,433,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible