Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Pericles, Prince of Tyre by William…

Pericles, Prince of Tyre

by William Shakespeare, George Wilkins (Author)

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Gawain Poet (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Two works in older forms of English which play with forms from even older forms of English.

English (14)  Swedish (1)  All languages (15)
One of the best plays I've read by Shakespeare. Truly notable. A great read! ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
In only a few minutes we’re in the midst of incest and attempted murder. There’s soap opera level drama from the start. There’s a storm at sea, shipwreck, a lost infant, lost wife, prostitutes, pirates, and so much more. Pericles escapes a dangerous situation, on the run for his life. He ends up in a new kingdom and falls in love with a princess there. In a plot straight out of The Tempest, Shakespeare has the princess’ father pretends to be against the pairing to encourage the two to fall even faster in love. There is a narrator who helps the reader navigate the many location and time changes in each act. Pericles’ lost wife plot is reminiscent of Winter’s Tale.

This is one of Shakespeare’s “romance” plays. Though the ending might be happy, the story is full of tragedy. Redemption doesn’t come until the characters are heartbroken by loss. The play is interesting, but it does feel like a pieced together effort that combines some of his better work. It was the very last of his plays that I read and I feel a huge sense of accomplishment that I've finally read ALL of his plays!

“Few love to hear the sins they love to act.”

“Tis time to fear when tyrants seem to kiss.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Okay. For starters, thanks to Marjorie Garber and her interesting piece on the play in her “Shakespeare After All,” I enjoyed this more than I otherwise would have. She talks about how the play, a “dramatic romance,” needs to be seen not as a failed effort at the sort of play where the protagonist develops and shows psychological depth through monologues and all, but as a play where the character development and other “deep” aspects are illustrated through mythic and fairy tale motifs. …...
”Some modern audiences – like some early modern ones – have found these plays deficient in realism, but, as we will see, what they actually do is shift the “real” to a different plane, one more aligned to dream, fantasy, and psychology, while retaining, at the same time, a topical relationship to historical event in Shakespeare's day.”
This really did help. When events in the play got particularly... goofy or illogical, I had something to think about other than, “Well, this is pretty dumb.” (Instead, I could think, “Well, this is dumb in a mythically symbolic” sort of way.”).

Anyway. So, her essay was great, and starting with her appreciation and a nice overview, I was prepared to be pleased by what the play has to offer. And I did find stuff to like. Some lovely lines and scenes, especially towards the end, and the situation with the brothel, where Marina converts all the guys who come in to virtue and the brothel owners are increasingly outraged, was funny. Until Lysimachus. The local governor comes in to the brothel looking for a virgin to deflower. So, ick. But... he sees the error of his ways, and I imagined I'd seen the last of that scumbucket. But NO. Rather than retreating to his palace or wherever he lives, he continues along with Marina, and is welcomed by Pericles as a wonderful future son-in-law. So, the fall out from being identified as a particularly loathsome sort of sexual predator is that he is welcomed into a royal family??? Not that this made me think of today's news or anything, but this Completely made me think of current events, with Roy Moore running in Alabama for the U.S. Senate, with a solidly documented record of having, in his 30's, dated young teenaged girls, and with the defense of supportive Evangelical pastors being that “only by dating young teenagers could he find girls who were really pure” (a paraphrase of the argument of Pastor Flip Benham). It's a truly twisted logic that argues that grown men chasing after young girls is a sign of high moral values. Gah. This illustration of the play's timelessness did Not increase my enjoyment.

Still, this isn't one I expect to ever return to, but I'm glad to have read it once. I listened to the ensemble recording from Librivox while reading, and, despite some truly jarring mispronunciations and silly accents, their recording features some excellent performances and did help me enjoy the play. Three stars. ( )
1 vote meandmybooks | Nov 29, 2017 |
Though many people would disagree with my opinion, I actually really enjoyed Pericles, and would put it among Shakespeare's best. It has action, it has adventure, the framing device of John Gower the poet works because the play is based off of The Confessio Amantis by Gower, which is in turn based off of an even older Greek piece. Really, I am very happy that this play was the first piece studied in one of my university modules, as I would have never found it otherwise, and I am amazed that it is as obscure as it is when it is a very good Shakespeare play! ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Apparently this is a poorly-transcribed piracy of a very popular play, which explains why the writing as we have it is so garbled and nonsensical, e.g. "Opinion's but a fool, that makes us scan / The outward habit by the inward man." I quit after Act II. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |

Shakespeare, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, GeorgeAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Greg, W. W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoeniger, F.D.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rolfe, William JamesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sagarra, Josep M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warren, RogerEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To sing a song that old was sung,
From ashes ancient Gower is come;
Assuming man's infirmities,
To glad your ear, and please your eyes.
It hath been sung at festivals,
On ember-eves and holy-ales;
And lords and ladies in their lives
Have read it for restoratives:
The purchase is to make men glorious;
Et bonum quo antiquius, eo melius.
This work is for the complete Pericles, Prince of Tyre only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074327329X, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

Scene-by-scene plot summaries

A key to famous lines and phrases

An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

An essay by a leading Shakespeare scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:52 -0400)

A drama about the adventures of Pericles, a prince in the ancient kingdom of Tyre.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible