The Day After Roswell by Philip Corso

The Day After Roswell (1997)

by Philip Corso

Other authors: William J. Birnes (Author)

284959,316 (3)1

Most reviewers wonder if Corso is telling the truth. Where one stands on that, probably depends upon one's preconceived notions about the subject. Corso really has nothing to gain by lying, therefore it must be. His book is written based on a 2 year assignment in the Pentagon during the early 1960s. That alone would indicate that there were others who held this position before and since...wondering why they have not come forward? That said, this is likely the most credible book on the subject or the Roswell "crash." A fascinating Cold War memoir. The reader must dig through tons of self aggrandizement. ( )
  buffalogr | Mar 12, 2018 |
I have never read such gibberish in my life!! I find it hard to believe this was written by a Colonel who wrote official military reports. It is badly written, badly researched, over written, and waffles.

I also find it hard to believe that many technologies we now take for granted such as integrated circuitry, lasers and even stealth technology were spoon fed to large companies and reverse engineered from alien materials while tricking the companies into thinking they had invented the materials themselves. I suppose I am a little sceptical.

I particularly enjoyed this paragraph:

"By the time President Nixon returned from China, having agreed to turn over Vietnam to the Communists, he had effectively turned the Soviets' flank in the Cold War. For the next decade, the Soviets felt caught between the Chinese, with whom they'd fought border wars in the past, and the United States.When President Ronald Reagan demonstrated to Mikhail Gorbachev that the United States was capable of deploying an effective antimissile missile defense and sought Soviet cooperation in turning it against the extraterrestrials, all pretext of the Cold War ended and the great Soviet monolith in Eastern Europe began to crumble."

Of course!! The whole idea of Vietnam was to eventually hand it to the Communists in order to eventually win the Cold War...and attack aliens, if only those poor people who died knew what they were fighting for, sheesh.

This book is full of crazed ideas such as this. If I was a conspiracy nut I would probably enjoy it, but reading it just made me mad. ( )
  KatiaMDavis | Dec 19, 2017 |
I thought this would be a good alien story, turns out the author re-writes some of the most important events from the second half of the 20th century! Invention of the integrated circuit, laser, kevlar vests, fiber optics are all alien "seeded" inventions. Also the author played a key role leading up to the Cuban Missile Crisis. Wow! ( )
  RFBrost | Nov 2, 2017 |
The Day After Roswell
Author: Col Philip J Corso with Wiliam J Birnes
Publisher: Pocket Books
Published In: New York
Date: 1997
Pgs: 341

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
As Chief of the Army’s Foreign Technology Division in 1961, Philip J Corso stewarded the Roswell, New Mexico, alien artifcats in a reverse-engineering project that led to: integrated circuits, fiber optics, lasers, super tenacity fibers, and seeded the Roswell alien technology to the giants of American industry. The Roswell tech was a grand leap forward and powered the boom in the 20th century American military-industry complex.

...If...if it’s true and this isn’t just another cover story.

Genre:
Science and nature
Space
UFOs

Why this book:
Roswell. Truth. Retired Colonel. Senator Strom Thurmond.
__________________________________________________​

The Feel:
Feels repetitive chapter to chapter. The format and style and the way the chapter structure is broken up make it seem that a lot of stylistic, textual forms are reused. The same information is re-communicated a number of times.

Pacing:
The style and repetitive nature of some of the text negatively impacts the flow and pace of the story.

Hmm Moments:
Post 1947, the CIA, Navy, and Army did more to trigger the Man in Black scare than anything else. They went into a full court press to ferret out Soviet agents in and around the areas specific to the material recovered from Roswell. The plan came out of the Truman administration, probably originating either with the CIA or the DOD.
Ask too many questions and knocking at your door would be a couple of plainclothes investigators who didn’t need a search warrant to rummage through your things. So maybe the army was a little overzealous in the interrogation procedures…

This gives an excuse for the massive technological explosion that man underwent in the last century, but it doesn’t give man much credit. Yes, it does give him kudos for reverse engineering the tech, but it doesn’t give any credence to the idea that these leaps were purely a product of mankind’s ingenuity. Halfway through the book, I’m begging to get that watching television feel where the guy with the funky hair is about to appear and say, “I’m not saying it’s aliens...but it’s aliens.”
__________________________________________________​

Last Page Sound:
Is he part of the cover up and only feeding us “his” version of what happened? By his own admission everything was steeped in hoax and dissembling, so how do you trust his account.

Author Assessment:
The repetitive chapter to chapter bit with Corso’s angst over the reports and what he’s got and his talks with Trudeau begin to grate after you re-read almost the same exchange for the third or fifth time. Whether these were actually repeated conversations or if these were one conversation remembered a dozen times in service to telling each items’ story as it went through the industrialization process from the Army to R&D guys to the defense contractors is unclear, but each chapter seems to have another repeat of the conversation.

Editorial Assessment:
Editorially, someone should have said something about how the repetitive structures of the chapters was impacting the story flow. Almost seems like an editor may have only looked at this as each chapter was completed vs how all the chapters hung together as a whole.

Knee Jerk Reaction:
it’s alright

Disposition of Book:
Half Price Book stack

Would recommend to:
no one
__________________________________________________​ ( )
  texascheeseman | Aug 6, 2015 |
There have been a lot of books written about Roswell, enough to fill a bookcase if not more. When history ends up sorting them all out in terms of their value, Corso's book will be there up at the top. He has the credibility of a high military rank, provable connections to five-star brass. If he said he saw an alien body in a hangar at Wright-Patterson AFB shortly after Roswell, there's no reason to disbelieve him other than the unshakable "show me" attitude of Missouri. Not everyone gets to be an insider, and not every insider has the courage to disclose what they know. So we now know where the super-technological leaps in the post-war era came from: Corso and his Foreign Technology Desk at the Pentagon seeding recovered artifacts to defense industries. This is a good book to reread every few years. ( )
  FWBurleigh | Nov 22, 2014 |

Philip Corsoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Birnes, William J.Authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Be sure you're right, then go ahead.  Davy Crockett
In memory of Lt. Gen. Arthur G. Trudeau. This great man was my superior as chief of U.S. Army Research and Development.  He was a man of great courage; he put on a sergeant's helmet and fought with his men at Pork Chop Hill in Korea.  He was deeply religious and went on "retreats" at Loyola.  He was the most brilliant man I have ever known, who only gave me one standing order: "Watch things for me Phil.  The rest do not understand."
     His accomplishments changed the world for the better.  Any success I had I attribute to him and to his leadership.
My name is Philip J. Corso, and for two incredible years back in the 1960s while I was a lieutenant colonel in the army, heading up the Foreign Technology desk in Army Research and Development at the Pentagon, I led a double life.
A landmark expose firmly grounded in fact, "The Day After Roswell" puts a 50 year-old controversy to rest. Since 1947, the mysterious crash of an unidentified aircraft at Roswell, New Mexico, has fueled a firestorm of speculation and controversy with no conclusive evidence of its extraterrestrial origin -- until now. Colonel Philip J. Corso (Ret.), a member of President Eisenhower's National Security Council and former head of the Foreign Technology Desk at the U.S. Army's Research & Development department, has come forward to tell the whole explosive story. Backed by documents newly declassified through the Freedom of Information Act, Colonel Corso reveals for the first time his personal stewardship of alien artifacts from the crash, and discloses the U.S. government's astonishing role in the Roswell incident: what was found, the cover-up, and how these alien artifacts changed the course of 20th century history.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067101756X, Mass Market Paperback)

If you've ever wondered what crashed into the desert near Roswell, New Mexico, in 1947, this book will give you some startling answers. While the first version was published in hardcover in 1997, Corso provides new evidence for the presence of alien intruders in this pocket paperback edition. Whether or not you believe his contention, the sheer weight of governmental sources and documentation presented by the former Army intelligence officer is not easily dismissed. Once you understand the historical context (in the midst of the Cold War soon after World War II, with Orson Welles having recently inspired panic in citizens with his fictional War of the Worlds radio broadcast), the military deciding to cover up a real-life alien ship becomes more credible. Corso also gives a convincing explanation of why reports were so multi-various and conflicting. Even if you believe the book is utter fiction, it's still a compelling read. --Randall Cohan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:21 -0400)

A former Pentagon official describes what the United States armed forces learned from an alien spacecraft that crashed in the New Mexico desert in 1947 and how he turned that information over to defense industry research and development for weapons technology.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,087,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible