Wallbanger

by Alice Clayton

Series: Cocktail (1)

Caroline Reynolds has a fantastic new apartment in San Francisco, a Kitchen Aid mixer to die for, and no O (and we're not talking Oprah here, folks). She has a flourishing design career, an office overlooking the bay, a killer zucchini bread recipe, and no O. She has Clive (the best cat ever), great friends, a great rack, and no O. Adding insult to O-less, she also has an oversexed neighbour with the loudest late-night wallbanging she's ever heard. Every moan, spank, and-was that a meow?-punctuates the fact that not only is she losing sleep, she still has-yep, you guessed it-no O. Enter Simon Parker. When the wallbanging threatens to literally bounce her out of bed, Caroline, clad in sexual frustration and a pink baby-doll nightie, confronts her heard-but-never-seen neighbour. Their late-night hallway encounter has...well...mixed results. Because with walls this thin, the tension's gonna be thick. A delicious mix of silly and steamy, this is an irresistible tale of exasperation at first sight.… (more)
    Mister Romance by Leisa Rayven (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: Swoony romantic comedy, good writing

It was funny. ( )
  KrazyKoala | Sep 14, 2020 |
It was funny. ( )
  KrazyKoala | Sep 14, 2020 |
Don’t judge Alice Clayton’s Wallbanger by its cover! I know we all do it; we pick up the book with the cool cover because the cover must say something about the story. I picked up Wallbanger (hesitant because of the cover) thinking it may be a little too steamy for my taste, and I was wrong.

Caroline is the epitome of sexual frustration having gone months without her O (as she calls it). Simon, her neighbor, has no problem reaching his own happy ending, banging his bed against Caroline’s wall most nights to gain his own satisfaction. Caroline is even able to differentiate between the three women Simon keeps on rotation based on their…noises.

Fed up one night, Caroline goes to confront Simon, and is met with a very attractive neighbor…in a sheet. And cue the drama as Simon and Caroline are thrown together, become friends, and have to decide if they want to be more than friends.

I thought this story was funny and very unexpected. Caroline and her friends are so great together, and their banter is what I expect in real life from people who have known each other so long. Their relationships seemed so real.

Simon is not what I expected in that he seemed like a real person instead of the completely perfect guy we normally get in romance novels (although his shortcomings and brokenness aren’t highlighted as much as usual either). It was a nice change from the norm. I really enjoyed how real the characters were.

The only strange thing about the book, and I can’t decide how I feel about it, is the point of view. For most of the book we see everything form Caroline’s perspective, she is telling us her story. Then, probably around the middle of the story, we have text messages between characters, and not all those conversation involve Caroline. Not long after that we have a very awkward (for the characters) car ride, and that whole scene contains the thoughts of four different characters, one of whom is Caroline. I’m not sure if I liked that or not, but it was surprising.

As a whole I really enjoyed the book and I am looking forward to the sequel Rusty Nailed. I am also looking forward to Alice Clayton’s other series Redhead, which starts with the book Unidentified Redhead, as soon as the library gets me a copy.
  jessie_mae | Jul 28, 2020 |
The main character Caroline settles happily into her boss's old apartment when she is awakened by wall banging. Finding out that she shares a bedroom wall with her next door neighbor who has a harem on call when he is in town is keeping her up all the time. Christening her neighbor as "Wallbanger" she decides she wants nothing to do with him though he is a hot globe trotting photographer. Eventually, due to "plot" Caroline officially meets her Wallbanger neighbor and finds out his name is Simon. The entire novel is Caroline getting to know Simon and fighting her growing attraction to him.

So to start what really did work for me was the beginning of the novel and how Caroline first grew aware of Simon. Reading her descriptions of what was going on with three of Simon's girls and her cat Clive's responses to one of them had me laughing out loud. I thought it was interesting and really funny how readers learned how Caroline lost her "O" and that she had not had a relationship with a man in a really long time. I even initially loved the introduction of her two best friends Sophia and Mimi and thought I would get a chic lit/raunchy romance which sounded good to me. I do want to say the sex scenes are quite explicit and I loved them a lot. The only thing I would quibble about regarding the sex scenes is that those scenes went on and on and on (and not in a good way) to the point that I did get a bit bored while reading.

Now, that said, I still only gave this novel three stars. This was due to the fact that about a third of the way through the novel Caroline started to work my nerves. A lot. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times Caroline acted like a brat because of Simon. He was not much better in my mind and after the first official meeting of these two surrounded by their friends I was seriously embarrassed. I think after a while the whole book just turned really juvenile. The constant double entendres between Caroline and Simon stopped being interesting and funny and just got repetitive quick. Caroline constantly dickering with herself over what should she do next got really boring. I wish that Alice Clayton had worked in more information on Caroline's job as a designer. Her job just seemed set up to have her squeal like a girl with her boss or be sad about Simon. Any work she had to do or was doing was quickly glossed over in a sentence or two.

Additionally her two best friends were really not that well drawn and both of them were strictly one dimensional characters. I could not tell you one thing really important about those two except Sophia had auburn hair and Mimi was short. I wish that we had more time to delve into her friend's a bit more especially a good portion of the novel is taken up by Caroline trying to "fix" her friends relationships. Even at the end of the novel I could not tell you much more about these characters.

I know there is a sequel to this novel, Rusty Nailed (The Cocktail Series) is coming up and I will probably purchase it since I am curious on how Simon and Caroline are doing. I am just hoping that the kinks that I noted in the novel get worked out in the follow-up. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
This
Is
So
Annoying.

Book officially downgraded. Writing and plot are juvenile and utterly sex-focused. Trying to be a bit too tongue in cheek. It’s a lotta other things, but I’ll save my breath. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
To my mom, for letting me have coconut on my birthday cake
even though no one else likes it.

To my dad, for reading me Garfield comics
until we laughed so hard we were both crying.

“Oh, God.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,498,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible