A Serpent's Tooth by Craig Johnson

A Serpent's Tooth (2013)

by Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson has used the theme of crimes converging with cult identity again in this mystery series, and nothing involving this particular cult is as it seems in the beginning. When we get to the 4th level of discovery that Walt Longmire makes about the people who manage the cult, it appears that depleted oil wells can be made to yield again. The finale is explosive. And Double Tough is saved by our two Wyoming dogie football heroes, until the trail of killings and attempted Killings shows how a gang of thugs almost got away with a huge illegal bonanza. ( )
  darcette | Jun 20, 2017 |
Absaroka County. Cord Lynear comes to town looking for his mother. Walt Longmire decides to help him finding her and the trail leads to a polygamy group of people that seem to have something to hide...

One of the best books in this series. I miss the time when I had several books to read. Now I have to wait to read a year for a new book. Walt Longmire is such a wonderful character and I love how Craig Johnson always manages to write really interesting and suspensefully stories.

I strongly recommend this book series! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
At the beginning of this book, I thought I might be listening to the Elves and the Shoemaker. Walt Longmire thinks something is fishy when he overhears a woman talking about the angels who complete tasks she leaves for them on a list. When Walt and his deputy, Vic Moretti, check out the woman's home, they discover that the angel is really a teenage boy, a runaway from a polygamous Mormon sect. The boy is looking for his missing mother, and the details he shares with Walt and his officers cause them to worry about her well-being. Their search for the missing woman brings them into conflict with the sect and its leader, who are doing some mysterious drilling around the clock.

I liked but didn't love this series entry. There was too much violence and there were too many weapons in this one. Yes, Walt is a big man, but there are lots of big men in this world. Walt's wit is one of his most endearing traits, and I enjoy the books much better when he's outwitting the bad guys rather than out-shooting them. And I really don't like where his relationship with Vic seems to be heading. Walt's daughter, Cady, is married to Vic's brother, so Vic is her sister-in-law. Cady's unborn child will be Walt's grandchild and Vic's niece or nephew. If Walt marries Vic, his son-in-law will become his brother-in-law, his daughter will become his sister-in-law, Vic's sister-in-law will become her step-daughter, and Walt will be uncle to his own grandchild. Next thing you know, he'll be his own grandpa! ( )
  cbl_tn | Jun 20, 2016 |
The ninth entry in the Walt Longmire series finds the Wyoming sheriff on the road, traveling between religious enclaves of splinter sects of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Walt's looking for the missing woman whose teen-age son has surfaced in his country, and along the way he stumbles into a vast quasi-governmental conspiracy involving the CIA and stolen crude oil. Things aren't any calmer on the home front, as he deals with daughter Cady's absence following her marriage and his uneasy relationships with his undersheriff, Victoria Moretti. I enjoy this series very much. ( )
  rosalita | Jun 6, 2016 |
Johnson has outdone himself in this, the ninth installment, of his Longmire Series. Walt looks into the circumstance of a lost Mormon boy and is pulled into a fast paced mystery that goes far deeper than any case we've seen yet. The whole gang is on board, Vic, Double Tough, Henry and Ruby, plus an old man who claims to be theOrrin Porter Rockwell. As usual, Johnson's quick wit and humor kept me laughing between moments of heart dropping suspense. The mystery aspect was fabulous, keeping me engaged to the very end, where another surprise awaits. An exceptional read that I can't recommend highly enough! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child!
King Lear, Act I, Scene 4
For N.B. East (1938-2011),
who taught me how important the words are.
I stared at the black-and-orange corsage on Barbara Thomas's lapel so that I wouldn't have to look at anything else.
Boy howdy.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002645X, Hardcover)

The inspiration for A&E's Longmire finds himself in the crosshairs in the ninth book of the New York Times bestselling series

The success of Craig Johnson’s Walt Longmire series that began with The Cold Dish continues to grow after A&E’s hit show Longmire introduced new fans to the Wyoming sheriff. As the Crow Flies marked the series’ highest debut on the New York Times bestseller list. Now, in his ninth Western mystery, Longmire stares down his most dangerous foes yet.

It’s homecoming in Absaroka County, but the football and festivities are interrupted when a homeless boy wanders into  town. A Mormon “lost boy,” Cord Lynear is searching for his missing mother but clues are scarce. Longmire and his companions, feisty deputy Victoria Moretti and longtime friend Henry Standing Bear, embark on a high plains scavenger hunt in hopes of reuniting mother and son. The trail leads them to an interstate polygamy group that’s presiding over a stockpile of weapons and harboring a vicious vendetta.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

When a lost Mormon child wanders into Absaroka County, the intrepid Wyoming sheriff teams up with feisty deputy Victoria Moretti and longtime friend Henry Standing Bear on a high plains scavenger hunt that leads them to a violent interstate polygamy group.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,643,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible