Salt: A Story of Friendship in a Time of War (2013)

by Helen Frost

Twelve-year-olds Anikwa, of the Miami village of Kekionga, and James, of the trading post outside Fort Wayne, find their friendship threatened by the rising fear and tension brought by the War of 1812.

This tale, recounted in verse, is set during the War of 1812 in Ohio and Indiana and follows two young boys as their friendship is put to the test across conflict and cultural ties.
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
Children's historical fiction/friendship. The two voices are each produced in their own style of poetry (namely, the spacing of the words creates either a diamondy native american pattern or horizontal stripes a la the American flag), which doesn't hurt the narrative too much--it's not done BADLY, but it is so sparse that the sense of place and time is a bit lacking. Maybe I should have read this one while camping (or, after reading up on the time period, etc.). Again, it's not BAD, but I wasn't significantly impressed by the time I'd gotten 50-100 pages in. This is one of our potential mocknewbery titles, but I didn't think it was all that stellar so I'm moving on to the next. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Salt is a story of native Americans, The Miami People, living alongside Americans in the Midwest. They are different but so much alike as they help each other survive. The War of 1912 is pending. The families prepare for the worst to happen and it does, but there is really no way to prepare for war. As the people become divided, these families keep alive a deep friendship that war was unable to tear in two. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wonderful book about SALT; its importance to survival in earlier (and probably present) times. Its value in society and what people needed to do to get it.
Highly recommend. ( )
  padmajoy | May 11, 2016 |
Set in 1812 Indiana, Salt tells in alternating prose and poetry, the story of two boys, James and Anikwa, a European settler and a Miama native, who are friends. When the British and American armies converge on their villages, the boys are caught between opposing views. James' mother is based loosely on thehistorical figure of Angeline Chapeteau Peltier, who was a peacemaker. My favorite prose sections are the interludes about salt: "THIS GAZE. THESE DEEP BROWN EYES. People follow deer/through the forest,/watching where they lick the ground.//The people scrape salt/into their hands, their baskets. They taste/the salt, bring it home.//Again and again, does and bucks and fawns,/porcupines and people,/meet at the salt place. Beautiful, heartbreaking, unique form. Includes map, character list, notes on form, salt, and names, and a glossary of Miami (Myaamia) words. ( )
  bookwren | Aug 11, 2015 |
"We told each other that we would in future be friends, doing all the good we could to each other, and raise our children in peace and quietness." -Mihsihkinaahkwa, Miami Chief (Little Turtle) to William H. Harrison, Governor of the Indiana Territory, September 4, 1811
For/Frances Foster/salt of the earth/beloved editor/and friend
SALT IN THE SEA, SALT ON THE EARTH // A shallow sea/moves over the earth,/salty, sun-warmed./Water rises/as mist,/fog, clouds,/leaving a thin coat/of salt on the ground.
JAMES: Dang mosquito bit me right where I can't reach it.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Helen Frost's book Salt was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,123,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible