Saturday Woodcutter accidentally conjures an ocean in the backyard and, with sword in tow, sets sail on a pirate ship, only to find herself kidnapped and held captive by a mountain witch with the power to destroy the world.

I liked book one better, but this was still a delightful follow-up. This is Saturday's story, and based off of Baba Yaga (I don't know the exact original story, but it's the one Bony-Legs is based off of). The book begins with Saturday accidentally creating an ocean at her family's doorstep, bringing her sister Thursday. She then ends up kidnapped by a giant raven and deposited in the mountain of a demon witch.

I was a bit put off by the cover because Saturday, as it was made clear in the first book, eschews dresses and would have rather been a boy than a girl. But as with book one, the cover does not do the book justice. It's fairly subversive about gender, having both Saturday and Peregrine playing gender-fluid roles. There's also the addition of the utterly delightful Betwixt, the shapeshifting chimera.

This book ends with the beginning of a larger quest, and a larger story that I'm eagerly looking forward to reading. Ready to start Dearest, and then the Trix books. And hoping that I won't have long to wait for book four... ( )
1 vote wisemetis | Apr 23, 2021 |
Gorgeous cover!! I can't wait to read this! I absolutely loved the first book in this series, Enchanted.
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |
Fun original fairy tale mashup but what is up with the cover!? Shouldn't cover artists read the book first? There is no way that even comes close to what Saturday looks like who is described as have golden curly hair and only wears a dress once in the first book and in this book briefly wears a ratty skirt but for the rest of the book wears pants. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Hero is the Second book in the woodcutter series. The story is very easy to follow. I really enjoyed how they developed many of the characters that were in the background in the first book. I enjoyed reading this story as much as the first and I can't wait to read the next book in the series. ( )
  DJLunchlady91404 | Nov 15, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

For my beloved grandmothers, Helen E. Kontis & Madeleine DeRonde, who taught me to be a singer, a dancer, a chef, an artist, a poet, a dreamer, a world traveler, a reader, a storyteller, a tea drinker, a lover of life, and a woman of strength.
"OH, HOORAY! It's you!"
The birds screeched at each other overhead dancing in and out on the currents of air as if they were braiding it themselves.
She lunged at Thursday, forcing her sister to jump back in surprise.
”Ten bones on the Giantess,” called Erik.
Twenty on the Captain,” yelled one Simon.
”Fifty on the Harpy,” shouted another Simon.
”Which one’s that?” asked a third.

Alethea Kontis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,966,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible