Love with a Chance of Drowning by Torre…

Love with a Chance of Drowning

by Torre DeRoche

Love can make a person do crazy things ... A city girl with a morbid fear of deep water, Torre DeRoche is not someone you would ordinarily find adrift in the middle of the stormy Pacific aboard a leaky sailboat - total crew of two - struggling to keep an old boat, a new relationship and her floundering sanity afloat. But when she meets Ivan, a handsome Argentinean man with a humble sailboat and a dream to set off exploring the world, Torre has to face a hard decision: watch the man she's in love with sail away forever, or head off on the watery journey with him. Suddenly the choice seems simple. She gives up her sophisticated city life, faces her fear of water (and tendency towards seasickness) and joins her lover on a year-long voyage across the Pacific. Set against a backdrop of the world's most beautiful and remote destinations, Love with a Chance of Drowning is a sometimes hilarious, often moving and always brave memoir that proves there are some risks worth taking.… (more)

Charming account of a woman who meets a handsome stranger in a bar and, just a few months later, embarks on trans-Pacific ocean voyage with him in a small boat. Despite all the things that could go wrong (several of which, in fact, do), things seem to work out more or less in the end. The author (the woman) has a knack for seeing the humor in life, and I laughed out loud a number of times while reading this. While most of us will never do this, it lends itself to providing insight into our own lives at times. I've read several of these "man and woman go on long boat voyage on small boat" books, and I'd say this is the best one I've found. ( )
  caimanjosh | Feb 15, 2018 |
This was a fun light read. Torre DeRoche travels to the US from her home in Australia, promising her parents and sisters that she won't fall in love with an American and she will come home in one year. But what is she to do when a handsome Argentinian man sweeps her of her feet and asks her to come with him on his sail across the Pacific from California to Australia. After all, it "is" on her way home. What follows is a funny and heartwarming tale of romance on the seas. Never mind that she is afraid of water and prone to seasickness, Torre knows she has to give her all for love. Of course, two people on a tiny boat are bound to run into a variety of problems, from bickering to storms, as well as meeting their share of odd and interesting characters in various tropical ports of call. If you like travel and can enjoy a travel book that is a bit heavy on the romance and light on the geography, history, culture etc. then this book is a great way to get away for a while. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
I read this book cover to cover (err, pixel to pixel?) on a flight from London to Boston, with hours to spare. Once you start, you won't be able to put it down. DeRoche's writing feels like you're talking to her directly - a conversational tone with beautiful language. She writes honestly about falling in love with a man who was initially a one night stand, and how she faced her fear of the ocean to be with him while he sailed around the world. This book made me desperate to learn how to sail and set off on an adventure of my own. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Wow! Absolutely loved this book! ( )
  Liciasings | Aug 14, 2013 |
“Some people die of old age without ever having lived their dreams. Some people die without ever having loved. That’s tragic. We’ll both die someday, that’s a guarantee. If something happens on the ocean, we’ll die as two people in love who are living a remarkable adventure…”

Torre DeRoche planned to spend a year in the US working and then return home to Australia. Instead she fell in love with an Argentinian and despite a fear of the sea, agreed to sail with him across the Pacific. Love With a Chance of Drowning tells of Torre's adventures aboard the Amazing Grace during her journey to conquer the ocean, and her fears.

Torre wasn't looking for a relationship when she met Ivan in a San Francisco bar but charmed by his Latin good looks and kind, considerate nature she fell head over in heels in love. Yet their separation seemed inevitable, Torre had promised to return to Australia at the end of the year and Ivan planned to throw in his IT job and sail solo across the ocean. As the end began to draw near, Ivan suggested Torre join him and she was faced with a difficult choice, sail away with her lover or say goodbye. Despite her fear of deep water, disaster and "“anything that would fall out if you turned the ocean upside down and shook it” Torre's decides to surrender her comfortable city lifestyle for a love on a 32ft wooden boat in the middle of nowhere.

Though I have little interest in sailing (and my own fearful respect for the sea), I really enjoyed this entertaining memoir of (mis)adventure. The humour is engaging, Torre has no problem poking fun at her own obsession with safety equipment, her horrendous bouts of sea sickness and Ivan's innate clumsiness. She is boldly honest about the journey's practical and emotional hardships - broken equipment, rough weather, the lack of fresh food and inescapable intimacy. Yet as Torre describes the joy of watching dolphins frolic in the boat's wake, the stunning white sands and blue water of tropical waters and the convivial welcome of islanders, you can't help but wish you could join her.

Love with a Chance of Drowning is wonderfully written. Part travelogue, part romance, it is a tale of an amazing journey that will sweep you away. ( )
  shelleyraec | Feb 20, 2013 |

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,396,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible