Kiss Me like a Stranger: My Search for Love…

Kiss Me like a Stranger: My Search for Love and Art (2005)

by Gene Wilder

In this personal book from the star of many beloved and classic film comedies -- from The Producers to Young Frankenstein, Blazing saddles to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory -- Gene Wilder writes about a side of his life the public hasn't seen on the screen. Kiss Me Like a Stranger is not an autobiography in the usual sense of the word, and it's certainly not another celebrity "tell-all." Instead, Wilder has chosen to write about resonant moments in his life, events that led him to an understanding of the art of acting, and -- more important -- to an understanding of how to give love to and receive love from a woman. Wilder writes compellingly about the creative process on stage and screen, and divulges moments from life on the sets of some of the most iconic movies of our time. In this book, he talks about everything from his experiences in psychoanalysis to why he got into acting and later comedy (his first goal was to be a Shakespearean actor), and how a Midwestern childhood with a sick mother changed him. Wilder explains why he became an actor and writer, and about the funny, wonderful movies he made with Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Richard Pryor, and Harrison Ford, among many others. He candidly reveals his failures in love, and writes about the overwhelming experience of marrying comedienne Gilda Radner, as well as what finally had to happen for him to make a true and lasting commitment to another woman. A thoughtful, revealing, and winsome book about life, love, and the creative process, Kiss Me Like A Stranger is one actor's life in his own words.… (more)

Immensely remarkable sincere thoughts written by remarkably honest and humble man who has left such an important impact in the world with his presence, his kindness, his humbleness, and his talent, and his generosity, that his presence, his kindness, his humbleness, and his talent, and his his generosity will be remembered by many acting generations for many future generations to come. ( )
  Champ88 | Dec 25, 2019 |
Much like the man himself, I find this an odd little page turner. Who would have thought Gene Wilder had repression issues? ( )
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
This is pretty much the kind of memoir you'd expect Gene Wilder to write. It starts off a little stiff and mannered, but it quickly picks up pace and steam and the prose is such that you can almost hear Wilder read it to you: quirky and wry and imperfect, acknowledging some of his imperfections but apparently entirely unaware of others. He comes across by turns kind and sincere and, at times, a bit of an asshole. (And I think he'd have described that as a fair cop.) Worth reading if you're at all interested in his career. ( )
  siriaeve | Jan 9, 2017 |
I'm a huge fan of "Young Frankenstein" (YF) and I like "The Producers very, very much. I think Wilder was just perfect in both movies. So I was more than a little predisposed to a very good review of his book, but instead I found it poorly written, dull, skimpy, and not very funny. YF spans about 8 pages and the pages in KMLAS include a lot of air, i.e., a typical page had a bit more than 300 pages, and chapters were short, with a blank page+ between each. Air. And within these 8 pages, there were breakaways to describe the latest wisdom from therapist Margie, the breakup of his marriage and how painful it was (really?), and plans for the next movie. Margie.....Wilder shares many of the insights and advice that Margie dropped on him over the years. Dull. Obviously a big deal for Wilder but dull nevertheless. So what are some of the wonderful inside scoops, the behind-the-scenes stuff from YF. "Walk this way", "Eyegore", "...you take da blonde..." all things we've heard a million times. And the marriages....I lost count. But, despite all that what you really wanted to hear about was the marriage with Gilda, the Love Story. Wilder writes on page 202 - "if the dog hadn't eaten the rat poison, I honestly don't think that Gilda and I would ever have gotten married." Ah, true love. ( )
  maneekuhi | Sep 9, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,726,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible