Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell

Rooftoppers (2012)

by Katherine Rundell

3792744,218 (4)20
When authorities threaten to take Sophie, twelve, from Charles who has been her guardian since she was one and both survived a shipwreck, the pair goes to Paris to try to find Sophie's mother, and they are aided by Matteo and his band of "rooftoppers."

English (26)  German (1)  All languages (27)
Wow, just wow. Favourite book of the year so far. Beautifully written, fantastic characters. I had a little shiver when I got to the end. Read it now! ( )
  alexenglishauthor | Jul 11, 2019 |
I found Rooftoppers initially utterly charming, and I think it's Charles (who, by the way, isn't even mentioned in the blurb, and was the bigger and enjoyable surprise) and the whimsical descriptions of his character and lifestyle, that made the beginning of the book for me. I now want to say, that I would have liked a gentle slice-of-life with Charles' and Sophie's interaction, but in truth, who knows, maybe if the the book had been like that, I wouldn't have liked it as much. That being said, the first chapters were worth 4-5 stars.
Then the plot started, new locations and characters were introduced, and Rundell seems to have a fascination with all these, as the impossibility of the rooftopper life was explored endlessly (sometimes I felt, also repetitively), with Charles being pushed almost out of the book, only to have a few cameos. For me the plot and the new characters lacked the warmth of the introducing chapters, Sophie herself seemed to lose some of her character to the winds on the Parisian rooftops. So this is why my final rating is 3 stars, I liked the book well enough.
I also think it would be a fun read for younger audience (7-12 y.o maybe), perhaps some things will need explaining, then again, if your little bookworm has already devoured classic children's books, then he/she will understand it well. ( )
1 vote Moonika | Mar 4, 2019 |
Supposed by all to be an orphan, Sophie was found by a fellow passenger of a downed ship floating in a cello case in the ocean. While written with children in mind, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The writing with delightfully whimsical, with clever observations at every turn ("[It] is best to stay away from people who care too much about money, my darling. They are people with shoddy, flimsy brains.") and even chuckle-out-loud parts:
'“But it’s a child! You’re a man!”
'“Your powers of observation are formidable,” said Charles. “You are a credit to your optician.”'
The ending is abrupt and I would be eager to read a sequel to find out whatever happened to Sophie. But even as it is, this was worth the read!
  ErinMa | Feb 22, 2019 |
I love Katherine Rundell's writing and Rooftoppers is no exception. Sophie, Charles and Matteo are unique and interesting characters. I like the sincere trust between young Sophie and her guardian, Charles, who always treated her with respect and love. Matteo is tough, as he has to be, living alone on the rooftops of Paris, but he's honest and true to his friends. The opening scene of the shipwreck was a bit confusing; I had to read it a couple of times to understand that baby Sophie and Charles were on the same ship. The plot moved along quickly and I felt invested in the characters, their hopes and dreams. ( )
  bookwren | Mar 23, 2018 |
Very exciting tale of a disaster, followed by a loving relationship, followed by an adventure in Paris. This book was strange, exciting, insightful, and full of wonder and magic, but not wizard type magic. Just relationship magic. Excellent. May be a little too much for my fifth graders, some of them, I will recommend it too , definitely, middle school. ( )
  mcorbink | Feb 4, 2018 |
To my brother, with love
On the morning of its first birthday, a baby was found floating in a cello case in the middle of the English Channel.
It wasn’t easy to breathe that morning.  It seemed there was too much hope in her chest for the air to fit alongside.
“You look as though you own a minimum of one pony.  You look nothing like yourself.  Well done.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,821,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible