The Husband's Secret (2013)

by Liane Moriarty

Discovering a tattered letter that says she is to open it only in the event of her husband's death, Cecelia, a successful family woman, is unable to resist reading the letter and discovers a secret that shatters her life and the lives of two other women. By the author of What Alice Forgot.
    The Silent Wife by A. S. A. Harrison (sturlington)
    Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Adults from many walks of life are brought together in these well-characterized novels, though not always for happy reasons. Though both feature large casts of realistic, complex characters, layered plots, and naturalistic dialogue, Heart and Soul is a lighter read.… (more)

English (350)  Dutch (5)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (357)
4.5 STARS

3% - I really like the writing so far.

7% - Two pages into the chapter and already I want to smack Will and Felicity.

31% - I’m actually loving it! You know the feeling you get when you are reading a really good book? You want to turn the pages faster and faster, because you desperately want to know what happen next, but at the same time you want to snap shut the book, get up and take a turn around the room, trying to calm down your racing heart, because you want the book to last, you want to savour it. That’s exactly how I feel right now.

35% - I have an inkling about the content of the letter, and I really hope I’m wrong… But what else could it be?

44% - Ok, I was right about the content of that letter. Frankly I’m surprised we got the reveal so soon. And now for the rest of the book? No idea.

55% - The chapters are shorter and shorter. I don’t know if I like it. On a hand it makes the reading go faster, on the other it gives the impression of reading a series of snippets, instead of a unitary novel.

60% - I think there’s something more to the murder. There are all these little unresolved clues, so I hope there will be another big reveal!

75% - I knew it! I knew there was another mystery at play!

82% - Felicity is such a bitch!

83% - I just really like all these info about the Berlin wall interlaced in the story. I wonder if they have a point?

87% - WTF?!?!

90% - Karma is a bitch.

100% - I liked the epilogue, strangely. I thought it was a bit of a easy way out, but I understand that not everything can be explained organically. All in all, tt was a very satisfying read. The thing that I loved was the characters. They were so real! Maybe the big secret was a bit anticlimactic, but it made the story seem more realistic, I think. ( )
  mariu911 | Sep 6, 2021 |
Gift from a friend.
Fun, easy, quick. Interesting how the lives tied together. Interesting how the end told what would've happened - and things the other person didn't know. ( )
  avdesertgirl | Aug 22, 2021 |
A summer page-turner. Good airport reading. Bit too catholic for me. ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
A tremendously manipulative and predictable book that I, nevertheless, could not put down. I hate when that happens. Oh well. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
A very smart page-turner! ( )
  RedSonja76 | Jun 26, 2021 |

Moriarty, Lianeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To err is human; to forgive, divine.  —Alexander Pope
For Adam, George and Anna.
And for Amelia.
It was all because of the Berlin Wall.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Liane Moriarty's book The Husband's Secret was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,541,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible