Sacrament by Clive Barker

Sacrament (1996)

by Clive Barker

Recently added byAntigonet, arialee38, private library, SFF1928-1973, Hymlock, jameschatham, hrafnskuld, ame9022, cdrive

English (11)  German (1)  All (12)
Life, more ĺife, survival, dying, ..... ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 16, 2016 |
Barker, is one of my favourite author, well written , complex characters, this one is good looking in the beginning!
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
This book would certainly not be for everyone. It's a book that will make you think however about how you fit into the world. The book is longer than it needed to be and I did skim a little here and there, but that was because I wanted to get to the end to see how the story resolved itself. A decent Barker tale that remains true to the type of story he likes to tell. If you enjoy Barker's works and haven't read this, it's only a matter of time. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
It took me forever to read this book (only ever a couple of pages at a time). It's the story of Will, who is a wildlife photographer, who as a young lad encountered a strange, somewhat outworldly couple, and that experience made a deep impact on his life. When he's in his forties, things come to an end in many ways. On the whole, I found this book a bit silly, which probably didn't help me to get through it. ( )
  mari_reads | Sep 23, 2014 |
Really fantastic read. Barker proves once again how effortlessly he handles urban fantasy. I'm a big fan of his work and writing style and the types of characters he writes, and I felt like this book fully delivered on everything a fan would expect of him. I'm actually shocked now when I think of how little I'd heard about this book. That's one of the reasons I picked it up, because it seems to be the one Barker novel that no one talks about. But it's just as good, if not better, than the ones that seem to get all the attention. It's hard for me to narrow down why I loved it so much. Partly the risks he took here, partly the mysterious nature of what made the plot supernatural. But suffice to say I loved it. ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
I am a man, and men are animals who tell stories.
This is a gift from God, who spoke our species into being,
but left the end of our story untold.
That mystery is troubling to us.  How could it be otherwise?
Without the final part, we think, how are we to make sense
of all that went before: which is to say, our lives?

So we make stories of our own,
in fevered and envious imitation of our Maker,
hoping that we'll tell. by chance, what God left untold.
And finishing our tale,
come to understand why we were born.
For Malcolm
To every hour, its mystery.

Will Rabjohns, perhaps the most famous wildlife photographer in the world, has made his reputation chronicling the fates of endangered species. But after a terrible accident, Will is left in a coma. And in its depths, he revisits the wildernesses of his youth and relives his life with a mysterious couple who have influenced his life as an artist and a man. When Will wakens, he sets out on a journey of self-discovery - one where he will penetrate the ultimate mystery and finally unlock the secret of his destiny.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061091995, Mass Market Paperback)

A boy has an encounter with a man who causes extinctions of other species, so he grows up to be a man who documents (and thus appeals for a halt to) those extinctions. This dark fantasy tale is unlike Clive Barker's other recent ones: it is more tightly plotted, and more of this world. In a sequence of well-executed stories within stories (comparable to Russian dolls), Barker unfolds a compelling examination of what it means to be human, to be a man, and to be a gay man--on a planet where aging, disease, and death bring "the passing of things, of days and beasts and men he'd loved." A satisfying long novel packed with vivid images, memorable characters, and a melancholy mood that reaches for hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:31 -0400)

With its powerful emotional dramas and its visionary message of life's higher meaning, this novel will appeal to anyone who loves the glory of the natural world, and fears for its survival.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,434,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible