Sacrament by Clive Barker

Sacrament (1996)

by Clive Barker

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
Maybe I'm not smart enough. I read this hoping to "get it" the whole time. I never did. There are some interesting and unusual spots, to say the least. I'm not sure i would recommend it. I donated it to the library at the retirement center where I work. i am hopeful no one saw me do it. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
His most personal book to date. He exorcised a lot of demons with this one. My second favorite writer...but this one fell flat with me. ( )
  Joe73 | Mar 26, 2018 |
This was the first Clive Barker book i have read. I liked the book although there were points were it slowed down and was hard to continue, but there were points were you didn't want to put it down. over all i enjoyed the book and will read more of his work. ( )
  cbloky | Oct 16, 2017 |
Life, more ĺife, survival, dying, ..... ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 16, 2016 |
Barker, is one of my favourite author, well written , complex characters, this one is good looking in the beginning!
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
I am a man, and men are animals who tell stories.
This is a gift from God, who spoke our species into being,
but left the end of our story untold.
That mystery is troubling to us.  How could it be otherwise?
Without the final part, we think, how are we to make sense
of all that went before: which is to say, our lives?

So we make stories of our own,
in fevered and envious imitation of our Maker,
hoping that we'll tell. by chance, what God left untold.
And finishing our tale,
come to understand why we were born.
For Malcolm
To every hour, its mystery.

Will Rabjohns, perhaps the most famous wildlife photographer in the world, has made his reputation chronicling the fates of endangered species. But after a terrible accident, Will is left in a coma. And in its depths, he revisits the wildernesses of his youth and relives his life with a mysterious couple who have influenced his life as an artist and a man. When Will wakens, he sets out on a journey of self-discovery - one where he will penetrate the ultimate mystery and finally unlock the secret of his destiny.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061091995, Mass Market Paperback)

A boy has an encounter with a man who causes extinctions of other species, so he grows up to be a man who documents (and thus appeals for a halt to) those extinctions. This dark fantasy tale is unlike Clive Barker's other recent ones: it is more tightly plotted, and more of this world. In a sequence of well-executed stories within stories (comparable to Russian dolls), Barker unfolds a compelling examination of what it means to be human, to be a man, and to be a gay man--on a planet where aging, disease, and death bring "the passing of things, of days and beasts and men he'd loved." A satisfying long novel packed with vivid images, memorable characters, and a melancholy mood that reaches for hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:31 -0400)

A gay photographer of endangered species recalls a childhood meeting with two agents of Death. They told him they were seeking the extinction of species. Suddenly, he has an intuitive flash. Aids! Is that their work too, the extinction of his kind? He embarks on a quest for an answer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible