Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventure…

Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventure (2013)

by Kate DiCamillo

Other authors: K. G. Campbell (Illustrator)

English (167)  Spanish (1)  All languages (168)
This book is super cute! I loved the opening when a tragic event helped this little squirrel become a super hero. With the help of his friend Flora, they go on adventures together.allowing Flora to become a more approachable person ( )
  enemory | Nov 26, 2018 |
The tale begins with a squirrel that it is sucked into a vacuum cleaner and a young girl named Flora Belle Buckman. Following the vacuum experience the squirrel is rescued by Flora and she notices that he has gained strange superhero powers because of the event. Since Flora is a big fan of superhero comics, she decides to name the squirrel Ulysses and then proceeds to take him home with her because she imagines the two of them as a future crime fighting duo. Flora's mother totally objects to having a squirrel in her house and Flora determines that her mother is the squirrel's arch-nemesis. Add in the neighbor, Mrs. Tickham and her great nephew, William Spivey, Flora's father, and many other interesting characters and you have a book for middle readers that is loaded with fun.

The topic of the book is appealing and the middle reader will also find the pencil drawings amusing. Even though the story is comical, there are some lessons imbedded in the tale such as the one about being hopeful because things may change at any time. Additionally, the astute young reader may even learn some new vocabulary words! ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
A silly story and the grating voice of the narrator make this one audiobook I couldn't finish. Hard to believe this book won the 2014 Newbery Medal. ( )
  rdg301library | Nov 19, 2018 |
There are good things about this book - I liked Ulysses,I thought the premise of the plot was interesting and fun, and I enjoyed the illustrations. However, the arch self-conscious tone of the narrator was terribly off putting and distracting. I had the same problem with The Tale of Despereaux. Additionally, the characters' dialog was written in a similar stylized, formal style. No one on earth has ever spoken this way. I understand it was supposed to be charming and quirky, not realistic, but all it did for me was distance me from the characters and make me not care about them.

Since DiCamillo has now twice won the Newbery with books I did not enjoy, I'm obviously a minority opinion on this. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Perhaps the most heartwarming tale of a typing superhero squirrel that I've ever read. Beyond that, perhaps the best children's novel of the year. Touching, funny, cute, and whimsical.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, K. G.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Andrea and Heller, superheroes to me.
K.D.
To Dad, who passed it on.
K.G.C.
Flora Belle Buckman was in her room at her desk.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076366040X, Hardcover)

Holy unanticipated occurrences! A cynic meets an unlikely superhero in a genre-breaking new novel by master storyteller Kate DiCamillo.

It begins, as the best superhero stories do, with a tragic accident that has unexpected consequences. The squirrel never saw the vacuum cleaner coming, but self-described cynic Flora Belle Buckman, who has read every issue of the comic book Terrible Things Can Happen to You!, is the just the right person to step in and save him. What neither can predict is that Ulysses (the squirrel) has been born anew, with powers of strength, flight, and misspelled poetry — and that Flora will be changed too, as she discovers the possibility of hope and the promise of a capacious heart. From #1 New York Times best-selling author Kate DiCamillo comes a laugh-out-loud story filled with eccentric, endearing characters and featuring an exciting new format — a novel interspersed with comic-style graphic sequences and full-page illustrations, all rendered in black-and-white by up-and-coming artist K. G. Campbell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:47 -0400)

Rescuing a squirrel after an accident involving a vacuum cleaner, comic-reading cynic Flora Belle Buckman is astonished when the squirrel, Ulysses, demonstrates astonishing powers of strength and flight after being revived.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,834,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible