Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated…

Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures (2013)

by Kate DiCamillo

Other authors: K. G. Campbell (Illustrator)

English (142)  Spanish (1)  All (143)
I liked this book for 3 reasons. First, I liked the characters in the book. The characters were each unique and made the story creative. The personification of Ulysses made the book interesting for all ages. Secondly, I enjoyed the plot of the book because the plot made the reader eager to keep reading. It was suspenseful to see if Flora's mother was going to take Ulysses and how they were going to resolve the conflict of the so called super squirrel. Finally, I enjoyed the illustrations because they demonstrated Flora's love for comics while telling the story. The illustrations showed Flora's interests while enhancing the story. They also created a fun and creative way to enhance the story to help reader attention.
The big idea of the story is that, although parents don't completely agree with what you do, they are trying to help you and they will always love you. ( )
  mmilde1 | Apr 24, 2017 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, I enjoyed the frequent illustrations that broke up the writing throughout the book. Many chapter books do not have illustrations and this was a nice addition to the story. The illustrations are humorous and help bring the story to life. Chapter forty is written entirely in illustrations in the style of a comic book. Secondly, I enjoyed the writing style of this book. The book's chapters are very short and jump straight to the main event in the chapter, making this an easy read. The writing is in third person and switches back and forth between narrating for the two main characters. This allows the reader to get inside the minds of these characters and view the story from multiple perspectives. The reason I did not rate this book 5 stars is that some of the language in the book may be a little complicate for the intended audience. The overall theme in "Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures" is parent relationships. Flora feels as if her mother does not love her and in the end she realises that she is wrong and her mother is just not able to show her emotions well. This teaches the reader that we all display our feelings in different ways. ( )
  gregclemens | Apr 10, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. I loved that both Flora and Ulysses felt abnormal and floras mother learned to accept her daughter for the unique person that she is. I liked how the author was able to slip in serious topics like divorce into a light hearted story about a girl and a flying squirrel. I loved all of the adventures as well. I would absolutely recommend this quirky book to spark kids individuality and curiosity for the unknown. ( )
  AubrieSmith | Mar 21, 2017 |
I lOVED this book! I think this book would be great for children to read because it's full of great language, and it definitely opens your imagination. I loved how ulysses was a flying squirrel; I think this would make the students laugh. Most of all, Flora can show kids that being yourself can lead to great adventures. ( )
  bbrelet | Mar 19, 2017 |
This was not one of my favorite books. It was hard for me to stay interested in it, but there were a few elements that I did like. Flora and Ulysses were both outsiders in a way, and this story united them so they could both feel better about themselves and so they could find where they belonged. I think this would be good for students who also felt like an outsider in some aspect of their life. It would give them hop and could make them feel like they do belong. I also found it interesting that there were comic strips incorporated into this book. While it was not my thing, I think some students would really enjoy that aspect of this novel and it could keep the students interested in the book. ( )
  krista_patman | Mar 19, 2017 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, K. G.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Andrea and Heller, superheroes to me.
K.D.
To Dad, who passed it on.
K.G.C.
Flora Belle Buckman was in her room at her desk.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076366040X, Hardcover)

Holy unanticipated occurrences! A cynic meets an unlikely superhero in a genre-breaking new novel by master storyteller Kate DiCamillo.

It begins, as the best superhero stories do, with a tragic accident that has unexpected consequences. The squirrel never saw the vacuum cleaner coming, but self-described cynic Flora Belle Buckman, who has read every issue of the comic book Terrible Things Can Happen to You!, is the just the right person to step in and save him. What neither can predict is that Ulysses (the squirrel) has been born anew, with powers of strength, flight, and misspelled poetry — and that Flora will be changed too, as she discovers the possibility of hope and the promise of a capacious heart. From #1 New York Times best-selling author Kate DiCamillo comes a laugh-out-loud story filled with eccentric, endearing characters and featuring an exciting new format — a novel interspersed with comic-style graphic sequences and full-page illustrations, all rendered in black-and-white by up-and-coming artist K. G. Campbell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:47 -0400)

Rescuing a squirrel after an accident involving a vacuum cleaner, comic-reading cynic Flora Belle Buckman is astonished when the squirrel, Ulysses, demonstrates astonishing powers of strength and flight after being revived.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,400,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible