Communication Miracles for Couples: Easy and Effective Tools to Create…

by Jonathan Robinson

Designed to aid communication within a relationship, this book aims to provide real-life solutions for understanding each other better. It outlines how to avoid the pitfalls that plague relationships, and includes chapters such as Repairing Broken Trust and How Never to Argue Again.

This book says some obvious things, but in situations like this, in hard times like these, sometimes obvious things are just the things that need saying. Robinson's fundamental emphasis and insistence is on love, and I salute and esteem him for it. I don't know how I feel about all the acronyms and model conversations--in the way of these things, some of the former are tortured and the latter are dead, and I question his decision to have all his sample couples in the "shut up, Mildred" mold--like, it's 1997, dude, come on.

But OMG, these are quibbles. I love Heidi Jasper and if this book helps us be together even a little bit, the couple of hours it took to read will have been well spent times infinity. I want to do the "spoon tune" with her (while perhaps not calling it that). I want to be RARE for her (be Responsible, Apologize, Request to know how your partner is feeling and how you can help, and Entrust yourself and your love to a new covenant). I just want to love her, and help her trust me and feel safe with me again.

These are the feelings this book stirred up, and so it can't have been that bad.

ADDENDUM: I reviewed this book in a fit of weirdly displaced love for my bb, as you can see, and it may not have been entirely objective. On the principle of the Golden Rule, I was gonna just not change the rating, but now I am reading a bok called After the Affair which is ever so much more helpful (find it on my LibraryThing when I'm done) and it occurred to me, people rely on books like these to, like, salvage their marriages and put back together their lives, and in overrating this one, I am doing those people a disservice. Go for After the Affair instead, and good luck to you. And none of this changes how much I love Heidi, which is so, so much. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | May 27, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,334,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible