HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

The Little Paris Bookshop (2013)

by Nina George

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
3,1811983,582 (3.47)166
""There are books that are suitable for a million people, others for only a hundred. There are even remedies--I mean books--that were written for one person only...A book is both medic and medicine at once. It makes a diagnosis as well as offering therapy. Putting the right novels to the appropriate ailments: that's how I sell books." Monsieur Perdu calls himself a literary apothecary. From his floating bookstore in a barge on the Seine, he prescribes novels for the hardships of life. Using his intuitive feel for the exact book a reader needs, Perdu mends broken hearts and souls. The only person he can't seem to heal through literature is himself; he's still haunted by heartbreak after his great love disappeared. She left him with only a letter, which he has never opened. After Perdu is finally tempted to read the letter, he hauls anchor and departs on a mission to the south of France, hoping to make peace with his loss and discover the end of the story. Joined by a bestselling but blocked author and a lovelorn Italian chef, Perdu travels along the country's rivers, dispensing his wisdom and his books, showing that the literary world can take the human soul on a journey to heal itself. Internationally bestselling and filled with warmth and adventure, The Little Paris Bookshop is a love letter to books, meant for anyone who believes in the power of stories to shape people's lives"--… (more)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 166 mentions

English (185)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (196)
Showing 1-5 of 185 (next | show all)
This just seemed to drag on and on for me, about 150 pages too long. ( )
  liltastypuff | Sep 12, 2022 |
Anna's bookclub book for Dec 2016 or Jan 2017? Good feel story. ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
SWEDISH REVIEW

Jag föll för omslaget och handlingsbeskrivningen av Den lilla bokhandeln i Paris. En man som ägnar sig åt att sälja böcker för att läka brustna hjärtan lätt alldeles förtjusande. Jag hoppades verkligen att den skulle inge mig samma känsla som jag får när jag ser på Amelie från Montmartre. Tyvärr så visade sig att boken inte alls på långa vägar var så charmig som jag hade förväntat mig. Detta är en bok vars grundidé verkar genialiskt men som tyvärr inte alls visar sig lika kul att läsa som man tror. Eller i alla fall så kände jag.

Nu säger jag inte att boken är dålig, den hade sina poänger, här och där var dialogen träffsäker, men storyn och karaktärena var tyvärr båda bleka och själva "kärlekshistorien" bokens grundberättelse var på tok för ointressant. Får jag vara riktigt ärlig så fattar jag inte hur man kan vänta 20 år med att öppna ett brev, men utan det hade det inte blivit en bok så jag försökte inte störa mig så mycket på det. Men alla dessa karaktärer, många väldigt udda och speciella borde ju ha gjort boken mysig att läsa. Mja, inte direkt, den enda som jag verkligen gillade var Samy, resten fäste jag mig inte alls för, inte ens Monsieur Perdu.

Jag förstår att vissa tilltalas oerhört av den, ta till sig varje ord och karaktärer och verkligen älskar boken och jag vill inget hellre än tillhöra den skaran. Men tyvärr för ofta fann jag att jag tappade fokuset när jag läste boken. Jag gillar verkligen idén med en litterär apotekare på en pråm i Paris. Faktum är att bara en bokhandel på en pråm låter som en alldeles förträfflig idé!

Tack till Bazar Förlag för recensionexemplaret!

ENGLISH REVIEW

I really love the cover and the blurb for the book. A man that spends his time selling books that will heal one's broken heart sounded like a wonderful book. I really hoped that it would give me the same feeling reading this book as I get watching Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain, but unfortunately, the book was not at all as charming as I had expected it to be. This is a book that has a terrific basic concept, but that just doesn't turn out to be as good as the idea sounds. Or, at least that's how I felt about the book.

I don't think this book is bad, the story has its moments and hear and there the dialogue is quite good, but the whole story and the characters are too pale. And, the "love story" is, to be honest frankly not that interesting. Also, I can't understand how someone can wait 20 years to open a letter, but without that part of the story wouldn't it be a book at all, so I tried to not let that bother me while reading the book. And, I thought that all the odd characters would make to book fun to read. Well, not exactly, to be honest, the only character I really liked was Samy, the rest I just didn't care that much for, not even Monsieur Perdu.

I can understand how some people will find the book appealing to read and they will love every word and character in the book and I wish I could be apart of the group. But, I lost the focus too often while reading the book. However, I do think the idea of a literary apothecary on a pram in Paris sounds like a fantastic idea. Even just a bookstore on a pram in Paris sounds fantastic.

Thanks to Bazar Förlag for the review copy! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
I slogged through this book. Perdu - moaning the entire book about his lost lover. Yes, he discussed books and how they would impact people, but I just wanted it to end. ( )
  rmarcin | May 20, 2022 |
I chose this book purely for the fact it featured books, and a canal trip through France. Loving both books and France, I thought this would be a lovely, light-hearted read.

To begin with it was just that. The main character seemed interesting and had quite a lot of depth, and the book dealt with his inner turmoil at having lost touch with the woman he loved. It also dealt well with the character of Max, an author suffering writer's block who didn't want to be recognised. The initial scenes in the block of flats, to the start of the journey on the canal boat, were delightful. I loved the descriptions, the way Jean sold his books, and the general pace of the story.

Unfortunately, my enjoyment of the book started to change halfway through. The story became less about the boat journey and more about Jean lamenting the loss of his lover, which got more and more tedious. Other characters came into the story and joined them on the boat, who for me didn't really add much to the story. Max changed as well; it was as though the author wasn't really sure what to do with him, and some of the things he did seemed completely out of character to the person we met at the start of the book, and I ended up disliking him. The 'travel journal' pages were also a little bit jolting. Some of the events that happened seemed to appear out of nowhere and I had to backtrack in the story to see if I had missed anything, meaning I had started to skim-read. There were some touching moments towards the end, but given the nature of Jean's romance with Manon it lost a bit of its edge.

I hovered between 2 and 3 stars for this book, but when I thought about it my favourite bits of the story were the descriptions of France, the story itself being a just a bit forgettable. ( )
  Triduana | Jan 25, 2022 |
Showing 1-5 of 185 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (8 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
George, Ninaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bering, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Junker Miranda, UlrikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pare, SimonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Posthuma, RoelofTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
Ich widme diesen Roman meinem Vater
Joachim Albert Wolfgang George, genannt Jo der Breite.
Sawalde/Eichwaldau 20. März 1938-4. April 2011, Hameln.

Papa, mit dir ist der einzige Mensch gestorben, der alles gelesen hat, was ich je schrieb, seit ich schreiben konnte. Du wirst mir fehlen, immer.
Ich sehe dich in jedem Licht des Abends und in jeder Welle aller Meere. Du gingst mitten im Wort.

Nina George, im Januar 2013
Den Verlorenen gewidmet. Und jenen, die sie immer noch lieben.
I dedicate this novel to my father,
JOACHIM ALBERT GEORGE,
known as Broad Jo.
March 20, 1938 (Sawade/Eichwaldau)—
April 4, 2011 (Hamelin)

Papa,
you were the only person who read everything I ever
wrote from the moment I learned to write. I will miss
you at all times.  I see you in every ray of evening
light and in every wave of every sea.
You left in mid sentence.

Nina George,
January 2013
Dedicated to the departed.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
And to those who go on loving them.
First words
Wie konnte es nur passieren, dass ich mich dazu überreden liess?
How on earth could I have let them talk me into it?
Quotations
Memories are like wolves. You can't lock them away and hope they leave you alone.
"What is wrong with old? Age isn't a disease. We all grow old, even books. But are you, is anyone, worth less, or less important, because they've been around for longer?"
"Books keep stupidity at bay. And vain hopes. And vain men. They undress you with love, strength and knowledge. It's love from within. Make your choice: book or …"
You only really get to know your husband when he walks out on you.
"As long as she doesn't turn out too smart for men."
"For the stupid ones, she will, Madame. But who wants them anyway? A stupid man is every woman's downfall."
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

""There are books that are suitable for a million people, others for only a hundred. There are even remedies--I mean books--that were written for one person only...A book is both medic and medicine at once. It makes a diagnosis as well as offering therapy. Putting the right novels to the appropriate ailments: that's how I sell books." Monsieur Perdu calls himself a literary apothecary. From his floating bookstore in a barge on the Seine, he prescribes novels for the hardships of life. Using his intuitive feel for the exact book a reader needs, Perdu mends broken hearts and souls. The only person he can't seem to heal through literature is himself; he's still haunted by heartbreak after his great love disappeared. She left him with only a letter, which he has never opened. After Perdu is finally tempted to read the letter, he hauls anchor and departs on a mission to the south of France, hoping to make peace with his loss and discover the end of the story. Joined by a bestselling but blocked author and a lovelorn Italian chef, Perdu travels along the country's rivers, dispensing his wisdom and his books, showing that the literary world can take the human soul on a journey to heal itself. Internationally bestselling and filled with warmth and adventure, The Little Paris Bookshop is a love letter to books, meant for anyone who believes in the power of stories to shape people's lives"--

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Haiku summary

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (3.47)
0.5 2
1 29
1.5 7
2 80
2.5 19
3 192
3.5 62
4 209
4.5 31
5 113

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,853,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible