Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and…

Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories (1958)

by Truman Capote

English (206)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (212)
The tragicomic life of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl (Wikipedia link). Usually that doesn’t really work for me, but this time it does: Holly Golightly is not really there as the catalyst in the writer-protagonist’s development; she’s just there on her way to work some things out and then disappear off to somewhere else.

This was charming -- not so much the characters, but the atmosphere and especially the writing. The way this story is told feels so very New York City and the writing style is on point: there’s lots of lovely similes that really are unexpected but quite evocative nonetheless.

Written and set during Segregation, and it shows. ( )
1 vote Petroglyph | May 2, 2019 |
I went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars... and although I did not like the characters, I love Truman’s style. And the ending. Holly’s character is so different than the movie.. in the movie her character is so elegant and charming (all credit to the great Aubrey Hepburn), but in the book.. she reminded me of a clueless and insincere, fame and money hungry girl... like poor Paris Hilton (when she was younger)... I had the same feelings towards her as any other character other than George: you can’t trust her... all in all I loved the ending... ( )
  soontobefree | Mar 11, 2019 |
This book and I, we've had this date from the beginning. Or, at the very least, from about '95 or so when that song came out. I saved the movie until after I read this too, though Mickey Rooney might still back-taint my experience. What a terrible man.
Anyway I'm glad to have gotten around to this after having read some of his more infamous work and early novels. Reading those makes me appreciate the craft below the wit. Without knowing the revelations and insight Capote is capable of it would be easy to dismiss Tiffany's. The book is substantial in charm and slight in text and evokes a magical New York that I wished still existed. Loved it, and all three stories, though 'A Christmas Memory' is deservedly the favorite. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
A quick read about a quirky girl/woman named Holly Golightly. She manages to wrap just about every man she meets around her finger. The narrator lives downstairs from Holly and Joe Bell is the owner of the neighbourhood bar. The story is told from their point of view. Both of them love Holly but their love is returned only platonically. At one point Holly is arrested for passing messages between a mafia drug dealer who is in prison and his lawyer. She seems to be somewhat naive and that tends to get her into trouble. A great read. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
It's just such a pleasant little lark of a story. In this edition, there were an additional three short stories that I also enjoyed, though they are all a little slight and mostly fluff. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
For Jack Dunphy
I am always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and the neighborhoods.
This record is for books which contain the stories Breakfast at Tiffany's, House of Flowers, A Diamond Guitar and A Christmas Memory. Please do not combine editions containing only Breakfast, or with editions that have a different selection of stories.

CONTENTS:

Breakfast at Tiffany's [novella]

House of Flowers [short story]

A Diamond Guitar [short story]

A Christmas Memory [short story]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067960085X, Hardcover)

Contains:

Breakfast at Tiffany's
House of Flowers
A Diamond Guitar
A Christmas Memory

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:32 -0400)

House of Flowers, A Diamond Guitar, and A Christmas Memory are included with the tale of a fun-loving amoral playgirl in New York City.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182792, 0141037261, 0241951453, 0734306210

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,538,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible