We So Seldom Look on Love by Barbara Gowdy

We So Seldom Look on Love

by Barbara Gowdy

As always, Barbara Gowdy's characters are a tad freakish and mostly likeable. However, some of these stories were just too weird for me. cannot recommend it. ( )
  hemlokgang | Aug 20, 2017 |
Excelente!!! Hace tiempo que no leía unas historias cortas tan originales , profundas y precisas .

"FLesh of my Flesh" me tuvo leyendo entre lágrimas . Tanta ternura ! (Entre tanta perturbación de la mayoría de los demás cuentos) ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Very quirky and a little disturbing. ( )
  zguba | Apr 25, 2014 |
This anthology was my first experience with Barbara Gowdy, some years ago. She addresses the fringe of human nature, and writes with the exacting sensation of biting into aluminum foil. "We So Seldom Look on Love" is a study in identity and the reflection of self in another. Also read: "Mr. Sandman." ( )
  katelattuca | Feb 23, 2011 |
I loved this collection. The short stories here can be disturbing and taboo, but where Gowdy excels is in crafting her characters, who are at once strange and familiar. There is not a single character in this collection that I did not empathize with.

The writing is fantastic. Gowdy captures the mindset of her characters perfectly in the prose.

I tore through this collection, and would recommend it to anyone who isn't afraid of reading shocking stories that touch your heart in unexpected ways. ( )
1 vote ellialic | May 5, 2010 |
What makes [Gowdy] so gifted is her ability to come across as a sympathetic chronicler for her often bizarre characters—not by preaching the virtues of sympathy, but drawing out, often with uncanny timing and black humour, the sympathy of the misfit.
added by GYKM | editMaclean's

These are unsettling and profoundly moving stories to be read, and reread, and then to be dreamt upon. Remarkable and uplifting.
added by GYKM | editThe Globe and Mail

She writes like an angel.
added by GYKM | editThe Boston Globe, Carol Shields

so seldom look on love
that it seems heinous

―"Ode on Necrophilia," Frank O'Hara
To my sister, Beth
In the apartment building across from theirs, six storeys above the ground, a cat walks along a balcony railing.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0921051700, Paperback)

From the author of the blockbuster Mister Sandman comes a gathering of unusual characters captured in the outrageous and humorous situations for which Barbara Gowdy has become famous. Teasing the taboos, Gowdy creates a marriage dialogue between a woman and her transsexual fiancé, who she thought was a man, and litigation between Samuel and Simon who share the same two-headed body. She peoples her stories with Siamese twins, a necrophile, and a pathetically lonely exhibitionist. And she brilliantly illustrates how uncomfortably close a connection comedy has to human suffering. The title story has been adapted into a movie called "Kissed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

Now in paperback, this masterfully crafted story collection by the author of the internationally best-selling novel Mister Sandman is a haunting book that is certain to both disturb and entertain. With a particular focus on obsession and the abnormal, We So Seldom Look On Love explores life at its quirky extremes, pushing past limits of convention into lives that are fantastic and heartbreakingly real. Whether writing about the dilemma of a two-headed man who attempts to expunge his own pain, the shock of a woman who discovers she has married a transsexual, the erotic delusions of a woman who repeatedly exposes her body to an unknown voyeur, or the bizarre predilections of a female necrophile (a story made into the acclaimed motion picture, "Kissed"), Gowdy convinces us with incisive detail, only to disarm us with black humor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,367,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible