Why Do We Say It?: The Stories Behind the Words, Expressions and Cliches We Use (1984)

by Castle Books

Alphabetically arranged entries trace the origins of hundreds of unusual words and expressions.

The historical and linguistic origins on many common sayings.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 30, 2021 |
They seem to sometimes just guess or make things up. ( )
  johnclaydon | Mar 5, 2020 |
A gift, with the fuller description being "the stories behind the words, expressions and cliches we use." Found it to be interesting, but not something one would read cover to cover. Is arranged alphabetically should one wish to look up a certain phrase.
  skraft001 | Jan 2, 2017 |
A fun book, keep it handy. ( )
  4bonasa | Jun 22, 2011 |
How did lollypops get their name? What's long about a longshoreman? Why do we pass the buck? The answers are in this fascinating volume. The intriguing origins of hundreds of unusual words and expressions are here, organized in a handy alphabetical format. Useful for reference and fun just for browsing. Why Do We Say It? is also a great way to expand your vocabulary and enjoy doing it.
  rajendran | Feb 18, 2007 |
Why do we use "A-1" to mean "the very best"?

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,641,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible