dismiss

The Purpose Driven Life (2002)

by Rick Warren

Translated into over 50 languages, The Purpose Driven Life is far more than just a book; it is a guide to a spiritual journey that has transformed millions of lives. Once you take this journey, you'll never be the same again. This new, expanded edition of The Purpose Driven Life, created for a new generation of reader, includes: Video introductions by Rick Warren to chapters 1-42 and an audio Bible study at the end of each chapter, with over 30 additional hours of teaching by Rick Warren (accessible on http://purposedriven.com from links and QR codes at the beginning and end of each chapter). Two new bonus chapters on the most common barriers to living a purpose driven life. Access to an online community where you can discuss your journey to purpose, get feedback, and receive support. On your journey you'll find the answers to 3 of life's most important questions: The Question of Existence: Why am I alive? The Question of Significance: Does my life matter? and the Question of Purpose: What on earth am I here for? Transform your life. Start your journey today.… (more)
    The Love Dare by Stephen Kendrick (jlynno84)
    The Blessing of Favor: Experiencing God's Supernatural Influence by Kate McVeigh (jlynno84)
    Messiah to the Messed Up - Because I'm a mess, you're a mess, and we all need a Messiah by Sue Ciullo (elbakerone)
    Living without a Goal: Finding the Freedom to Live a Creative and Innovative Life by James A. Ogilvy (bertilak)
    bertilak: These books contradict each other; you may not like both of them, but it is interesting to get different points of view.
    The reason-driven life : what am I here on earth for? by Robert M. Price (bertilak)

English (102)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (104)
What on earth am I here for? What is the meaning of life? What is my purpose? Why am I put on earth and what I must do for being here and where will I go once I die? Have you ever asked these questions to yourself? These are no way easy questions that can be answered by any. It makes you really look deeper within yourself for you are searching the true purpose of your birth in this world. I have asked these questions plenty of times in the last few years, but never found a satisfying answer. It's not like I haven't ask these questions to anyone. A number of religious people I used to surround myself with or I came across I shot two or many of my latent doubts, queries and suggestions to be interpreted and investigated said the same thing without listening to me wholly, many did not listen as if my intention is corrupting their religious beliefs and very few stood to differ and I liked their views which gave me insights.

I ignored the people who sounded too preachy, proud and confident without proofs of them being disciplined servants of God. Even the old has to grow up and ask themselves where they really stand with Him. As a Christian by birth, answering the questions of a person who has a thirst for spiritual knowledge need to be considered because the religion promises eternal life. All religion does, but I am not born into all of them and I believe in one God. What exactly is His will? Are all religious Christians fulfilling God's will? Are they all not sinning after knowing Jesus and are they sure, they will be desired by God in heaven? Can they guarantee?

People should replace hypocrisy with sound judgement and all Christians must meditate on the words of God by turning away from Satan and foolishly meditating on evil and say they are believers of God when their actions tells it otherwise is something wrong. Some Christians I spoke to get enlightened by questioning the purpose for being born said like do not criticize or blame the Lord for creating you. He has given you life for a reason and to find fault with his intentions is wrong. Another person said, do not doubt God's plans for you and he knows what is best for us and it is not wise of you to say He loves to play games. He always knows what we need and God created us in his likeness and we are more valuable than animals. I must agree, my opinion about the Bible was my partial understanding of injustice done to righteous people and from my bad life experience since the past few years.

One more spiritual person who I connected on social network told me, it is normal to have lots of questions and humbly excused himself, he is not the right person to help me understand God better though he did help and his answers I am considering today. He also advised me to ask God itself His plans and let Him allow me to grow in spiritual wisdom. Last person said, just go with the flow whatever life offers embrace it and don't be upset by slightest setbacks. To say the least, I was somewhat baffled by all their answers and will I not find a convincing answer in this lifetime?. Keeping a blind faith is different from coming to a greater understanding with God by getting closer to Him in a friendly manner and guard us from all that is evil. If you fear the Lord or think about not questioning his motive in your life, how can you involve yourself fully by submitting to Him in the wider sense? God is justice I understood in my discovery and I arrived at my conclusion and summarized my religious beliefs which was previously blind faith.

Each of us is unique and God has wired us to think differently. God created us for his own pleasure, not vice versa, Pastor Rick says. If we have problems with God, all we have to do is fight with him. He is the one who created us, would he not know what we want from Him? He never said we will experience heaven on earth. That is why He created the heavens different from earth. Pastor says "Life is a test, life is a trust, and life is a temporary assignment. These ideas are the foundation of purpose-driven living". God tests us whether we are capable of overcoming the problems and become a more responsible human like Himself we simply have to put trust in His words to attain eternal life that's why he is preparing us on earth. If we want to experience heaven on earth, why did he create a heaven? If all the people residing in this world destination is heaven is to be believed, what is the point in God wasting our time on earth? I hope you understood my point of view.

The crucial question, are we worthy of going to heaven? Our pains and sufferings are all needed for us to grow and mature. We are not here on earth for nothing. Our birth is no accident. Even before our mother conceived us, he had us in His mind. Our birth country, place, family, facial features, complexion is a custom made design by God Himself. He could have made everyone look the same by being lethargic (like the animals), on the contrary, he took great pains to make everyone different. If everyone looks alike, will it not cause confusion? He went to great lengths to sculpt us. God is the designer of our life and only he knows what our purpose is. If we are not able to find it, we should simply ask him. Will he reject us? Definitely no. Then his purpose of creating us doesn't make sense.

The book can be criticized very well by philosophers, scholars, writers, scientists, etc and even by me but the point I want to stress upon is that if we keep on arguing, we will never understand the meaning of life and we need to let go of our futile thinking and come to grips with God's grace upon us alone. If there is no God, how our first parents landed on earth? It's a question that needs no pondering. He turned a murderer Moses into a leader and a coward named Gideon into a courageous hero. Isn't that great? We don't have to dig deep it is true or not or research whether these people existed . What is right about REAL GOD-He is capable of doing miraculous things. If we ask with a pure heart, He will grant us our every wish. We can be imperfect, but cannot be insincere.

Pastor Rick has a wisdom that is enough for the whole world to consume and take delight in. There are people who will disagree with the premise, I must say there are certain things in the bible and also the pastor's views, I too was finding it hard for me to accept. I don't want to pinpoint everything but let me say just one. In the family tree of David, Jesus was born. David committed adultery with Bethseba. In his line, some of the men and women lived that are quoted in the bible sin especially sexual sin. Jesus hails from a family who committed sexual sins. As King Solomon said, "God will bring every deed into judgement, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil".

Why God chose David's family for Jesus to be born? Because he was a faithful servant who was special to him. Wasn't Noah better than David? After God wiped out the corrupt people through flood, Noah's family multiplied and everyone of us comes from the family tree of Noah. Even if it is so, Noah was more obedient than others in the Bible. Why God said, Jesus, the son of David not Noah ? Does he not the whole world's son not just the son of Abraham, son of David , son of Joseph, all Jews from a single family tree? Why the particular interest in David's family or say God's partiality towards the rest of the believers ?Why not refer Jesus with a common title that makes everyone in this world believe he is the son of God born like one of us? Let me stop with this.

Life is no joke. Pastor Rick is surely an remarkable author who has checked the pulse of millions of believers and written this book in a way that gives us renewed hope and faith to get to where we belong-heaven. In this book, he has discussed so many good things and I would say, the first half was more awe-inspiring and motivating than the latter half to make our short stay on earth relevant. Overall, his words are energizing and hits the sweet spot in the heart and mind of the readers who are spiritually inclined not materialistically inclined.

I am really thankful to a person for giving me this brilliant author's work for me to read. I thoroughly enjoyed reading and was overwhelmed by some of the answers found . It was insightful and it was as if Pastor Rick found in which part of my life I was struggling the most. What God wants out of my life is a question that was bothering me for a long time and I found answers inside the book indirectly. After passing through a difficult phase, my mind is free from clogged thoughts. But still I do have doubts on God I pray to. Is it really the one said in the Bible or some other supreme being? This is a hypothetical question that will not be answered anytime soon. ( )
  infantina.nivetha | Jun 17, 2020 |
DISCO D: BACKUP / TEOLOGIA
VIDA CRISTIANA / INSPIRACIONAL
  abdiel91 | Jun 2, 2020 |
DISCO D: BACKUP / TEOLOGIA
AYUDAS PASTORALES / LIDERAZGO
  abdiel91 | May 17, 2020 |
Helps the reader focus on the reasons for existing being centered on serving God and spreading the word of Jesus and salvation through service and ministry. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Oh man, standard contemporary evangelical fad crap, pushed on me by every damn evangelical I know. Warren doesn't seem to be a bad person, like so many leaders in that religious arena, but this is way overrated and merely an example of one of the many "revolutionary" evangelical literary fads that spread like viruses through that community so that within a very short period of time, practically all of the sheep have a copy, can quote copiously from it, try to push it off on to everyone they know and subsequently forget about it when the next new trendy fundie book comes along. It's a little stunning how one of these types of books somehow gets noticed and recommended (possibly through venues like Christianity Today?) and literally within weeks, nearly every evangelical in America has a copy. It's almost like they face so much critical peer pressure that they worry about going to hell if they don't tow the party line and babble on relentlessly about these books and how much of an "impact it has had on their life," (while steadfastly refusing to read ANY secular book I either offer to give them or literally sent them as a gift, all going unread due to a lack of stamp of fundie approval because the secular world is clearly quite evil and nothing good can come from it...). Total drivel, forgettable, overrated, trendy for the fundies and irrelevant. Never recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 4, 2020 |
"This book is dedicated to you. Before you were born, God planned this moment in your life. It is no accident that you are holding this book. God longs for you to discover the life he created you to live-here on earth, and forever in eternity. 'It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ,...he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone. Ephesians 1:2 (Msg)' I am grateful to the hundreds of writers and teachers, both classical and contemporary, who have shaped my life and helped me learn these truths. I thank God and you for the privilege of sharing them with you."
"This is more than a book; it is a guide to a 40-day spiritual journey that will enable you to discover the answer to life's most important question: What on earth am I here for?"
"For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, ... everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. Colossians 1:16 MSG"

A-2

Zondervan

3 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 0310205719, 0310276993, 0310255252

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,848,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible