Alphas: Origins (2011)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: Alphas (0.5)

From Ilona Andrews--#1 New York Times bestselling author of Magic Shifts and the Kate Daniels novels--comes a stark, seductive tale of a world torn asunder by supernatural gifts and irresistible passions... Karina Tucker is driving a van of children home from a field trip when an unplanned detour to a seemingly ordinary rest stop changes her life. There, she witnesses a world beyond humanity's sight, of frightful powers and chaos, where she is in death's grip...before an irresistibly dangerous male saves her--only to take her captive. For she is a rare commodity in the shadowy realm she's entered. Karina soon finds herself caught in a violent civil war where those with inhuman powers strive to destroy each other without mercy. And it becomes all too clear that she must make a choice: submit and become a pawn, or take hold of her own destiny and fight for survival against impossible odds. Alphas: Origins originally appeared in Angels of Darkness. Praise for Ilona Andrews and the Kate Daniels Novels "Ilona Andrews pens my favorite flavor of keeper novel: tough characters, marvelous voice, fast-paced with that sharp edge of humor that adds the final grace note."--Patricia Briggs, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Fire Touched "One of the brightest voices in urban fantasy. Ilona Andrews delivers only the best."--Jeaniene Frost, New York Times bestselling author of Bound by Flames "Gritty sword-clashing action and flawless characterizations will bewitch fans."--Sacramento Book Review INCLUDES A TEASER FOR MAGIC SHIFTS… (more)

I am a huge fan of Ilona Andrews, but holy wow, not this book.

I get that there is a certain amount of titillation in the dominance play in some of their other books, but this just takes it waaaaay too far. Blargh slavery, blargh rapey, blargh, blargh, blargh. Lots of people being horrible to each other with kind of a lame back story, and a completely unbelievable love story. It's nice that they moved past this and have moved into newer and better realms. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Dnf @24%

If this is how the romance starts I'm out.
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |

** Read in [b:Angels of Darkness|10557809|Angels of Darkness (Alphas, #0.5; Guild Hunter, #3.5; The Guardians, #7.5; Samaria)|Ilona Andrews|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1327938643s/10557809.jpg|12785399] **

I enjoyed this short story. It’s darker then what I’m used to from the Andrews team. It was very interesting and the world is vast. I would love more, maybe a series, but at this time the Andrews team has no plans on writing more in this world/series.

The heroine, she is thrown into a difficult situation and she coupes with it rather well, maybe to well. I enjoyed all the characters introduced. I just felt we needed more. We barely scratch the surface of this new world and the characters.

Alphas: Origins is an intense, stressful, and fast-paced adventure.

Rated 3.5 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
What happened?? This was terrible! ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Weird, interesting, drawing me into that world (if I can figure out which of Ilona's series it is). Karina's a lot tougher than she thinks, or than they think - which is good, she'll need it. Lucas...is a little too perfect - not in looks, but as a romance hero. Utterly tough, vicious, dangerous - and really just wanting to be loved, to belong somewhere or to someone. Still, interesting, and I'd like to see more of him. Emily's doing pretty well for a six-year-old, though it's a good thing Henry can put her to sleep or wipe her memories at crucial moments. And the climax is excellent - outcasts for the win! Possibly the best infodump story I've ever read - it comes out in simplified dribs and drabs, for a very good in-story reason. And yes, I definitely want to read the series that this introduces.
Reread, 9 years later - I had completely forgotten this, to the point that I thought I was reading it for the first time (and then thought the ebook I read was an expansion of the short piece included in Angels of Darkness. Nope, exactly the same thing). I believe there is an Alphas series, but I haven't read any of them (at least, as far as I remember!). Still interested, though obviously not all that strongly. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 1, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Alphas (0.5)
Karina Tucker took a deep breath.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,028,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible