SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Death Sentence: The True Story of Velma Barfield's Life, Crimes, and… (1999)

by Jerry Bledsoe

A shocking true story of a double life undone by murder. When North Carolina farmer Stuart Taylor died after a sudden illness, his 46-year-old fiancee Velma Barfield, was overcome with grief. Taylor's family grieved with her-until the autopsy revealed traces of arsenic poisoning. Turned over to the authorities by her own son, Velma stunned her family with more revelations. This wasn't the first time the born-again Christian and devout Sunday school teacher had committed cold-blooded murder. Tried by the 'world's deadliest prosecutor,' and sentenced to death, Velma turned her life around and gained worldwide attention. With chilling precision, New York Times bestselling author Bledsoe probes Velma's stark descent into madness. From her harrowing childhood to the shocking crimes that incited a national debate over the death penalty, to the dark, final moments of her execution-broadcast live on CNN-Velma Barfield's riveting life of crime and punishment, revenge and redemption is true crime reporting at its most gripping and profound.… (more)

Another book I did not register on GR apparently.

I gave it a 9 out of 10 on Bookcrossing and on Thursday, March 22, 2007 I wrote about this book:

9 out of 10
Well I see I forgot to write a journal entry.
I completed this book on January 31st and really enjoyed it.
What a story. very well written.
Highly recommend ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
This book was well researched and well written. I can't say just why I didn't care for it. I guess I couldn't relate to anyone in the story.

Still I would recommend Bledsoe's work to anyone who enjoys true crime books. ( )
  jlsimon7 | Feb 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,338,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible