The Caller by Juliet Marillier

The Caller (2014)

by Juliet Marillier

"In the final book of the Shadowfell trilogy, Neryn, the rebels, and the Good Folk must work together to survive their final confrontation with King Keldec"--

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
3.75 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
The sequel to Shadowfell and Raven Flight. I found it underwhelming. By this point in the trilogy, there's really only one direction the story can go in - the rebels have to finally confront their tyrannical king, obviously - and I had a pretty good idea how that was all going to end. Also, I wasn't invested in Neryn's relationship with her travelling companions, not the way I was in the previous books; Neryn was not invested the way she had been previously.

The story picked up once Neryn left for Summerfort and delivered a reasonably tense final showdown. If I was 15 - if I still had the same standards and expectations I had of books at that age - I might have been very satisfied with it all.

But I'm not. I can't help feeling that this trilogy did not live up to the promise of Shadowfell. ( )
  Herenya | Mar 29, 2016 |
This series is a must read. The ending was truly a happy ending with a few sad bits. ( )
  remikit | Dec 13, 2015 |
This book is a wonderful end to a great series!

The Shadowfell series has captured my interest and imagination from the first book. I have looked forward to each and every installment of the trilogy. The Caller lived up to my expectations.

Neryn's quest to train from the guardians takes on new urgency as the mid-summer celebration/rebellion comes closer. She knows her training is not complete and wants to make sure that she is responsible and compassionate as she calls the fey beings to the aid of the rebellion.

I loved the word building and descriptions. Juliet Marillier has written an epic fantasy trilogy. The story is one that will remain with me for a long time and will be one of my favorites. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Oct 30, 2014 |
The Caller is the rewarding conclusion to Juliet Marillier's Shadowfell trilogy, in which Neryn and her allies finally confront King Keldec in a battle to reclaim Alban from his despotic rule.

Picking up where Raven Flight left off, Neryn is continuing her quest to complete her training with the Guardians before the planned Midsummer rebellion. As winter approaches Neryn joins the the Guardian of the Air, but the White Lady is fading and when her haven is destroyed, Neryn is forced to move on. Though Neryn still needs to seek the wisdom of the Master of Shadows, time is running out and when she learns of the horrifying new threat to the rebellion, Neryn has no choice but to enter Keldec's court.

One of the strengths of this series has been Marillier's characterisation of the principles, Neryn and Flint and their struggle to reconcile their own conscience and behaviour with their need to serve the greater good. Never is the conflict more clear than when Neryn is forced to witness the King and Queen's cruelty in Keldec's stronghold, and remain silent. Despite the personal cost, Neryn has be hold strong, trust in herself and her allies, in order to defeat the King and his dark forces.
Flint is near his breaking point in The Caller, struggling with the deeds he has had to commit as an Enforcer in order to provide the rebellion with what they need. Marillier explores his conflict with authenticity and compassion.

Though there is never any doubt that Neryn and her allies will prevail, the final confrontation is as stirring as to be expected with impassioned speeches by Flint, Tali and Neryn, and a violent conflict that leaves several of the characters the reader has come to know and love dead on the battlefield. It is a rousing conclusion though if I have any criticism... it is the way in which Kedrec and his cronies escape any immediate punishment for their crimes - surely the Queen could have been snatched bald or something!

Overall, the Shadowfell Trilogy is an enjoyable young adult series and The Caller provides a fine conclusion to Juliet Marillier's tale of fantasy and adventure. ( )
  shelleyraec | Jun 5, 2014 |
Voor mijn familie
Klaar. Hij was klaar.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,937,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible