Miss Hickory

by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey

Other authors: Ruth Chrisman Gannett (Illustrator)

Relates the adventures of a country doll made of an apple-wood twig with a hickory nut for a head.
    Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace (allthesedarnbooks)
    The Blossom on the Bough: A Book of Trees by Anne Ophelia Dowden (Marchpane)
    Marchpane: Both books were awarded recognition in their publication years (Newbery Medal for Miss Hickory in 1946 and several notable book awards for The Blossom on the Bough in 1975). Works of imagination and natural science respectively, their illustrations provide beautifully magical and realistic lenses for seeing nature.… (more)

Ex-lib. JCC ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 20, 2020 |
I read this book back in 1973 and I still remembered it. I think the artwork burned into my brain.

I reconnected with a friend, recently, from thirty years and we were talking about books. I noticed on her book list was Miss Hickory. WE had a discussion and I found this review: http://www.kindertrauma.com/?p=205
which was followed by a trip to the library for the book.

Ah, the good old days of warped children's stories. ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |
Newbery winner. A doll made of an Apple twig with a hickory nut head learns some life lessons from the animals around her. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Up until the last two chapters, I thought this was a very cute book. Each chapter is a little mini story of different forest creatures and how their paths cross from autumn to spring. I loved seeing how the author tied in different aspects of nature and spun a story around them. I also liked the look inside the domestic life of Miss Hickory (cleaning, canning, gathering food, etc.) However, the last two chapters were simply disturbing. For the sake of spoilers, I will not go in to details. As a child, the end to this book would have left me confused and somewhat scared. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
Didn't really work for me - partly because Miss Hickory was rather a pain. The reports of nature were great. The end is...I can't really say unrealistic, when I've already accepted a living twig doll, but unlikely even in that setup, and unrealistically cute. Not terrible, but not particularly enjoyable for me. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 16, 2019 |

Bailey, Carolyn Sherwinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gannett, Ruth ChrismanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miss Hickory heard heavy footsteps, clump, clumping along the stones of the pasture, then approaching her lilac bush.

A magical fanatsy and the winner of the Newbery Medal in 1947. Miss Hickory is a child's doll, made of an apple tree twig and with a hickory nut for a head. Miss Hickory is 'hard headed' in character too. She is bossy to all the animal she meets and she is unhappy. But finally her hard head is eaten by an obliging and hungry squirrel. The apple twig is released, and climbs with all the strength of its remaining sap to graft itself high in an old, ailing apple tree, in time to bloom with the coming spring. The background to the story is the revealed miracle of the world of nature and the seasons.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,123,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible