Heroes Are My Weakness by Susan Elizabeth…

Heroes Are My Weakness

by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

English (22)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (24)
Although I generally like Phillips' books, especially when the heroes are not notably abusive (which they are in some of her books IMO), I didn't particularly like this one. I found it a slow starter and didn't particularly like the hero, heroine or plot. But I did finish it and liked it more at the end. I guess I would rate it as OK. ( )
  phyllis2779 | May 26, 2018 |
I am still new to this author and thus am feeling torn about this story. I have a feeling that if I were used to her writing voice, some of the things would have "fallen into place" much more easily.

What made this a disappointment for me was the lack of chemistry between the two leads. Try as I might, I just couldn't get them to click in my mind's eye. On the other hand, I liked both characters and their individuality. So, separate, they were kind of cool, but together, they were just blah.

Plot wise it wasn't bad. It was interesting and at times entertaining and funny, but because of its slow pace, I enjoyed it less.

In the end, if you're a fan of this author, I have a feeling you'll like it much more than I did.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
While I did like this book it didn't make it into my top 5 SEP books list. I thought much of the book drug and it was easy for me to set it aside for days without wondering what Annie was doing. I was firstly annoyed with Annie and her mental conversations with her ventriloquist dummies. FULL ON CONVERSATIONS PEOPLE! It probably doesn't help that I find ventriloquist dummies beyond creepy. Theo, the hero, typical of SEP's writing started out as a jerk which really intrigued me. I knew that he probably wasn't quite the jerk he appeared (like I said, typical SEP writing) and it was nice to see how it panned out but the reasoning was a bit of a cop out I thought. There was at least one incident from their past that was blamed on Theo that had to have bystanders to tell the truth plus another incident that seemed physically impossible for the perpetrator to do it. I'm being purposely vague as to not have to include spoilers because I don't want this review to extend too long. A plus to the book was that I thought she built up a lot of suspense by showing just little bits of what happened between him and Annie back when they were young but the primary suspense plot of who is trying to scare Annie felt less than secondary to everything else that happened. Anyway, the just didn't have the impact that some of SEP's other books did with the jerk of a hero being brought to his knees (in one case literally) in the wake of proving his love to the heroine. There was a scene that could have been the one but by that time I was long bored with the book hence the rating. I gave it 3.5 but rounded down for GR purposes. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
I will start my saying that the first few chapters confused me. Tons of questions were running though my head like, where are all the voices coming from? Is she psychotic? And who the heck is Leo? And why is he such an ass! I honestly felt a little overwhelmed. Normally I would have just put the book down and said "ENOUGH!" and walked away, not because the writing was bad, far from it, but because I found the plot line confusing.
But I decided that I wasn't giving the book a chance, so I continued on with the book and boy I am glad I did! If I had stopped when I would have missed out on such a gem of a book, it would have been devastating. This book is the quintessential "don't judge a book by its cover" or in my case the first few chapters. This book defiantly has its dark moments, but it also has, up lifting and empowering moments.
Ultimately this story is about Annie and Theo, their hate/love/miscommunication/misdirection form of relationship, which I am sure even a psychologist would want to sort out. Unfortunately for them, their relationship doesn't just remain between the two of them, but a host of shady characters interfere and ghosts from the past show their ugly heads.
By the end of this amazing book, I was wondering if there was a clinic when I can recover, because I don't think I am going to get this story out of my head (or heart) for a really long time.
So with all that being said, I will give Heroes Are My Weakness 9 out of 10 and I will have to say, that I am now a newbie fan of Susan Elizabeth Phillips works and plan on reading all her books.
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |
This is a modern day gothic romance set in the midst of winter on an island off the coast of Maine. Being an introvert, the idea of living on somewhat isolated island intrigues me, until you realize the issues you face ordering groceries, a lack of medical care, etc. So this book may have cured me of that little inkling of interest. I absolutely loved the old gothic novel though, I could totally picture the dark and gloomy monstrosity in my head.

The heroine in this story, Annie, was definitely unique. I have never read a heroine who was a ventriloquist. While I admired Annie's ability to connect with children through her puppets, the fact that the puppets were always talking in her head creeped me out a little. Though I did get a chuckle out of the ways she needled Theo with her creepy ghost moans.

I wasn't sure how Theo was going to turn out as a hero... especially when we learned about the things Annie endured while growing up with the twins on the island. He was totally redeemed for me though and I ended really liking him a lot, more so than Annie. In fact, once I was on Team Theo, I tended to get aggravated at Annie for the way she was behaving.

This book is a little more than just contemporary romance - there is also an element of mystery as it becomes apparent pretty quickly that someone does not want Annie on the island. This aspect of the plot was well done, I did not have an inkling of the real culprit until almost the final reveal.

I received an free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This is my first read by [a:Susan Elizabeth Phillips|41313|Susan Elizabeth Phillips|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1351268280p2/41313.jpg], but I think I will definitely read more. I like that she is writing outside of the new adult genre so you don't have all the drama and angst to deal with. 3.5 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |

A down-on-her-luck actress reduced to staging kids' puppet shows finds herself trapped on a remote island off the coast of Maine with a sexy horror novelist who knows a dozen ways to kill with his bare hands.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,950,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible