William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back

by Ian Doescher

Other authors: George Lucas (Inspiration)

Series: William Shakespeare's Star Wars (Part the Fifth)

A retelling of The Empire strikes back in iambic pentameter, the style of Shakespeare. Many a fortnight have passed since the destruction of the Death Star, and the evil Darth Vader has hatched a plan to capture the rebels. Will Lord Vader learn how sharper than a tauntaun's tooth it is to have a Jedi child?… (more)

English (51)  Swedish (1)  All languages (52)
Hilarious. And yet when Solo comes back from being tortured, the speech he gives is excellent at conveying his pain and what Leia means to him. The author truly gets the heart of Shakespeare and places it well in Star Wars. An excellent read especially since I was only vaguely familiar with the movies this was an excellent introduction. And Yoda in haiku is still very Yoda. ( )
  pacbox | Jul 9, 2022 |
Just my kind of nerdiness. Very amusing. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
William Shakespear’s The Empire Striketh Back - Doescher
Audio by multiple performers
3 stars

LUKE: There is a tide in the affairs of Jedi.
Which taken at a flood, leads to the Force.”

It’s very clever. It wasn’t quite as funny as the first one, but it did give me a few giggles. Doescher was inspired to have Yoda speak in haiku even if it didn’t sound very Shakespearian.

“Discover thou shalt/That wherever good is found,/Evil is nearby”

I’m sure I didn’t catch all of the play references but I clearly heard: Julius Caesar, Merchant of Venice and Taming of the Shrew. Overall, it’s just silly, lightweight entertainment. Just what I needed for a few hours. ( )
  msjudy | May 28, 2020 |
I'm not sure why, but I enjoyed this book more than the first. (I enjoyed the first of the trilogy as well, but liked this one better.) One possible reason:

YODA SPEAKS IN HAIKU! This is perfect, and works so very well. I'm also glad that I realized this before reading it in the afterword. (It only took me a page or so of Yoda's interactions with Luke to put my finger on why Yoda still sounded different than the other characters.) ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |

For Murray Biggs:

The Yoda to my Luke.

For Josh Hicks:

Sounding board and Jedi Knight
[Chorus] O, 'tis for the Rebellion a dark time.
[Exit, pursued by a wampa.]
[Luke] If flurries be the food of quests, snow on.
[Vader] I shall devise brave punishments...
[Admiral Piet, just after his field promotion] Alas, this promotion comes with some dread; for Vader hath no reverence for the head.
[Han, as C3PO is trying to warn about the non-functioning hyperdrive] I tell thee honestly, C3PO, that neither appetite nor inclination have I to feast upon your odd beliefs. Do thou thy work, but keep opinion out; An' we shall feast together on the silence.

Adding a bit of

iambic pentameter

gives tale gravitas.

(legallypuzzled)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ian Doescher's book William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,054,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible