Exodus 2022 by Kenneth G. Bennett

Exodus 2022

by Kenneth G. Bennett

This review originally appeared on GnomeReviews.ca.

The gnomes received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.

Exodus 2022 is a mash up of science fiction and environmental thriller. In the year 2022, Joe Stanton has a breakdown over the death of his young daughter, Lorna Gwin. This would be an understandable reaction if Joe had a daughter, but he doesn’t.

Other men have had similar breakdowns, all mourning the loss of their nonexistent daughter, Lorna Gwin. All of them died shortly after their breakdowns, which means that Joe doesn’t have much time left.

For reasons that weren’t entirely clear, this situation catches the attention of a wealthy weapons contractor, Sheldon Beck. Joe needs to find out what’s happening to him before Beck does, because Beck is a bad guy who wants to do bad guy stuff.

The first third of the book is a gripping page turner, but the middle of the book drags (the gnomes stopped reading at Chapter 60). Once Joe discovers the source of his hallucinations, the story becomes weird and unbelievable (and not in a good way). The focus of the book shifts from science fiction to environmentalism; the gnomes share the author’s views on the matter but don’t enjoy being beaten on the head with themes.

The dragging plot and clumsy theme aren’t the only issues with this book. The characters are one-dimensional: Beck is 100% evil, Joe is 100% good, and Joe’s girlfriend is 100% just a pretty face.

Despite these problems, the gnomes thoroughly enjoyed the first third of this book and would read future books by this author.

Rating: 3 Gnomes out of 5 ( )
  gnomereviews | Dec 24, 2014 |
Joe Stanton awakens convinced that his daughter is dead but he never had any children to begin with. As the grief and hysteria subsides it's replaced by an elusive voice along with visions of a fantastical realm. He attracts the attention of a rogue paramilitary group intent on unlocking the secrets of his subconscious mind with the latest biomedical technology. Each passing moment becomes deadlier as Joe tries to understand and grasp the enormity of the task thrust upon him.

Exodus 2022 is a science fiction thriller about an ecological apocalypse that's set into motion. I really liked the structure and format of the book. The story is fast paced with short chapters that enhance the suspense. Each chapter ends with a cliff hanger that demands the reader continue to read. Though there was a compulsion to devour the book, I found it made a great book to accompany me throughout the day because the chapters can be read within a short amount of time.

I enjoyed reading Exodus 2022, it's a wonderful blend of mystery and suspense that tells a compelling full length story. It's visually descriptive with a focus on action that gives the story a cinematic feel. The story's setting especially the oceanic and wilderness landscapes are beautifully portrayed. I liked that specific details and relevant facts were used when describing weapons, equipment, strategies, and scientific concepts.

I adored the story's imaginative interpretation of environmentalism and inclusion of orca whales. I liked that the story was able to interweave environmental ideas as well as biblical themes without being condescending or preachy. They were depicted in a way that allowed the story to forge its own identity. I loved that the story approached the apocalypse genre from a different angle especially in terms of the main character's motivation. The ending was unexpected and I really liked the ideas it presented.

[Disclaimer: I personally purchased an ebook version of this book but I also won a physical copy through a blog tour giveaway sponsored by the publisher, Booktrope.] ( )
  eloquent_codex | Oct 2, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a surprisingly intriguing book, and well worth the read! A young priest suffering from bizarre hallucinations becomes entangled in a strange situation, which will take him on an incredible, mysterious and frightening journey. The book is very well paced, with clues being given at regular intervals, and making the story even more compulsive. I don't want to give away the plot so I won't say too much about it. The book deals with whales, and other sea creatures and land animals, and their communications, disrupted by human sonar mapping of the sea bed. It is a book that I could not put down! The ending leaves you stunned and breathless, wondering about this phenomenon and wanting to know more. Certainly gets you thinking. If you enjoy sci fi, this is a must read! ( )
  Carolannhill | Aug 23, 2014 |
Good book. Well written. I'd recommend it. ( )
  benmacjr | Jul 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a blend of thriller and science fiction with a dash of environmentalism thrown in. lol I really enjoyed it. The story kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. It is a sad, sometimes dark story, but still manages to be hopeful. I don't like to give out the plot in reviews, but lets just say it was a very unique story and well worth the read.
I received a copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early reviewer program in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Jul 13, 2014 |
Brilliant! This book is really something. I really enjoyed reading Exodus 2022 despite the fact that it's not really the kind of book I usually read. At first I thought it would be too heavy of a sci-fi for me. But actually, not only was it well-written but it was also an enjoyable and intelligent read.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kenneth G. Bennett's book Exodus 2022 was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kenneth G. Bennett's book Exodus 2022 was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Kenneth G. Bennett is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,242,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible