Burn for Me

by Ilona Andrews

Series: Hidden Legacy (1)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Ilona Andrews launches a brand-new Hidden Legacy series, in which one woman must place her trust in a seductive, dangerous man who sets off an even more dangerous desire . . . Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career--a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile situation. Nevada isn't sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire. Then she's kidnapped by Connor "Mad" Rogan--a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run and wanting to surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive. Rogan's after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she's getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world.… (more)

AAAAAAUUUURGHGHHGHGH!!!! What do you mean I have to wait for the next book to come out?!? WHY?!?!?!?!

My favorite writers of badass women in magically destroyed southern cities have a new series out. This time, it's Houston under the knife (glee!) and a wonderful new private detective who puts her family first. Delicious magics, swoony love interest, highly amusing snark. Hooray! ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I love the writing team of Ilona Andrews. Their urban fantasy books are always chock full of adventure , magical elements and humor, and this series, featuring freelance detective Nevada Baylor is a great new one. Nevada usually investigates small-time magical criminals, but due to circumstances is forced to take the case of an extreme magic user who could incinerate all of Houston. Mad Rogan, a famous mage, is also searching for him, and they team up. I lvoed the chemistry between them, as well as the nice tight pacing. They do such a great job of incorporating the real world into their universe. I'm excited to read the next book in the series. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
My husband saw the title of this book last night and rolled his eyes so hard they almost fell clean out of his head. And I agree with him; as a reader who struggles with romance, it was a bit hard to swallow buying a book called Burn for Me. But I love Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series and her Innkeeper series has hooked me in spite of the sci-fi vibe it sometimes has.

This one didn't disappoint either. And let me say up front that though this is categorised on the back of the novel as 'paranormal romance', it's definitely not. It's much more solidly in the urban fantasy category; full of sexual tension but no sex. The PNR designation might be because of the inevitability of romance in the future books, but so far, this is no more paranormal romance than the Kate Daniels series is.

I like Rogan. I think the Andrews' team is setting up its readers in this first book, convincing them that Rogan is the anti-hero, but there's enough information sprinkled throughout the text that leads me to believe he is anything but. He strikes me as a very human and moral character that made the hard calls and took a lot onto himself in order to spare others. He's not a ball of emotions, certainly - no warm and fuzzies are going to be found coming out of him, but I like him. He's decisive and expressive in the ways that count.

I also like Nevada, she's neither whiney nor angsty, and she's not the strongest magical person in the room wherever she goes. So far. The only thing I didn't like was:

her seemingly purposeful obtuseness concerning her own Prime status - she's a PI for heaven's sake, how is she not putting 2 and 2 together?

As much as I got thoroughly and completely sucked into this story, the plot could have been tighter. There were several moments, looking back, where the storyline wanders or stalls a bit in terms of plot. This is a lot of book for what amounts to nothing more than a story arc setup. And I suspect there's a timeline continuity error, but I'd have to re-read the book to be sure (I'm almost certain Nevada heard from Adam after the attack on her house, though she tells the DA she hasn't). But never once did I get impatient or bored - from cover to cover I never want to put it down.

Thank god I've already bought books 2 and 3. ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 20, 2022 |
I liked the world building, with the powerful magic houses completely dominating the less powerful and powerless. The magic system seems well thought out and logical. The setting is interesting, with the family making a house out of the business's warehouse. I also like that the main character seems under-powered, being able to tell if someone is lying isn't going to be much help if a mage is throwing fireballs at her.

What I didn't like.
I hated almost every male character in the book, first she is manipulated by a corporate type into putting herself and family into danger. The the two male leads are both asshats. Adam Pierce the bad-boy bad guy doesn't care who he hurts, and just takes what he wants. Connor Mad Rogan is pretty much the same, he joined the army to kill people without consequence, the one nice thing we see him doing, giving a vet a job might be just as much for Rogan's benefit as the vets.

The good outweighed the bad so I'll be reading book 2 starting it today. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
so so / not great but not bad either ( )
  ckelship | Oct 10, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

To our awesome daughters, who make it all worthwhile, and the rest of our family, who drive us crazy.
In 1863, in a world much like our own, European scientists discovered the Osiris serum, a concoction which brought out one's magic talents.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,343,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible