The Shotgun Arcana by R. S. Belcher

The Shotgun Arcana

by R. S. Belcher

Series: Golgotha (2)

Blew me away, it was soooo good! I think I enjoyed it even more than the first book in the series. Mr. Belcher is an excellent writer and the reader can't help but get drawn in and swept along. Very original and creative. Can't wait for the next book in the series to see what happens next! ( )
  LongDogMom | Oct 18, 2016 |
A good followup to THE SIX-GUN TAROT, with just as much fantastical Weird West action. Like the first book, it reads like a really epic fantasy roleplaying game that has been turned into a novel, with yet more characters joining the campaign and the gamemaster working mightily to stitch their mythologies together and get them all screen time in the game, even if they aren't really needed for the plot. I particularly like the banter between characters talking about all the minor incidents that haven’t made it into print, making it clear that the novels are just the *biggest* things happening in the extremely strange town of Golgotha. ( )
  slothman | May 30, 2016 |
Another fantastic book. I need more of this world. ( )
  GeekGirlM | Dec 8, 2015 |
This is the sequel to SIX GUN TAROT.

The town of Golgotha has been targeted by an incredible evil as the first step to the destruction of the world, and it's up to Sheriff Hightower, his deputies, and the good citizens of Golgotha to stop it.

This book is even better than SIX GUN TAROT, and I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
  bookaholic | Oct 26, 2015 |
This book falls firmly into my category of Recommended for Limited Audience Only. If you're a fan of Western + Fantasy + Occult, this may be for you. Otherwise, you might want to move along.

My comment on the first book in Belcher's Golgotha series was, "The flaw in this book is that it's simply too much for its 364 pages." The implication, of course, was that I hoped the next volume scaled back a little. I'm not sure he did, although it's hard to judge. This book is still chockablock with angels, undead, mad scientists, secret societies, Chinese tongs, gods, Daughters of Lilith, immortals, Mormon magical artifacts and shapeshifters. However, they are all something we met in the first book so, perhaps, we can say that he limited himself to serial killers, pirates, Thugs (big T, as in the cult), cannibals, Cain and Abel (in a way) and devils, which are things we didn't meet last time.

I liked the story line, and the many subplots that went with it, more this time. It felt more coherent. Part of that is because there was a greater understanding of the motivation behind the evil threatening Golgotha. The other part is that most of the new additions to the weirdness are bit players, while the returning central characters are more fleshed out; they are no longer a barrage of backstory-less oddities with which we have to cope.

There's no way these books are for everyone. But, for their intended audience, they are a bit of fun. ( )
  TadAD | Jan 7, 2015 |

R. S. Belcher’s debut novel, The Six-Gun Tarot, was enthusiastically greeted by critics and readers, who praised its wildly inventive mixture of dark fantasy, steampunk, and the Wild West. Now Belcher returns to Golgotha, Nevada, a bustling frontier town that hides more than its fair share of unnatural secrets.

1870. A haven for the blessed and the damned, including a fallen angel, a mad scientist, a pirate queen, and a deputy who is kin to coyotes, Golgotha has come through many nightmarish trials, but now an army of thirty-two outlaws, lunatics, serial killers, and cannibals are converging on the town, drawn by a grisly relic that dates back to the Donner Party…and the dawn of humanity.

Sheriff Jon Highfather and his deputies already have their hands full dealing with train robbers, a mysterious series of brutal murders, and the usual outbreaks of weirdness.  But with thirty-two of the most vicious killers on Earth riding into Golgotha in just a few day’s time, the town and its people will be tested as never before—and some of them will never be the same.

The Shotgun Arcana is even more spectacularly ambitious and imaginative than The Six-Gun Tarot, and confirms R. S. Belcher’s status as a rising star.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible