dismiss

The Shotgun Arcana

by R. S. Belcher

Series: Golgotha (2)

10010195,423 (4)12
"R. S. Belcher's debut novel, The Six-Gun Tarot, was enthusiastically greeted by critics and readers, who praised its wildly inventive mixture of dark fantasy, steampunk, and the Wild West. Now Belcher returns to Golgotha, Nevada, a bustling frontier town that hides more than its fair share of unnatural secrets. 1870. A haven for the blessed and the damned, including a fallen angel, a mad scientist, a pirate queen, and a deputy who is kin to coyotes, Golgotha has come through many nightmarish trials, but now an army of thirty-two outlaws, lunatics, serial killers, and cannibals are converging on the town, drawn by a grisly relic that dates back to the Donner Party...and the dawn of humanity. Sheriff Jon Highfather and his deputies already have their hands full dealing with train robbers, a mysterious series of brutal murders, and the usual outbreaks of weirdness. But with thirty-two of the most vicious killers on Earth riding into Golgotha in just a few day's time, the town and its people will be tested as never before--and some of them will never be the same. The Shotgun Arcana is even more spectacularly ambitious and imaginative than The Six-Gun Tarot, and confirms R. S. Belcher's status as a rising star"--… (more)

I loved The Shotgun Arcana, more than The Six Gun-Tarot. R.S. Belcher comes back with another novel of fantastic characters, supernatural super strange creatures, and so many layers of twisted plot. The writing is dark and disturbing at times and made me laugh out loud at other times. My biggest complaint is that there are so few strong female characters - I was really excited to see Kate and Rowan introduced, and Maude is just amazing, but I wanted more of them in the story. Overall, another great one by Belcher. ( )
  bookishtexpat | May 21, 2020 |
Another strong entry. I would not live in this town as would quickly become one of the casualties. ( )
  bgknighton | Sep 30, 2019 |
Blew me away, it was soooo good! I think I enjoyed it even more than the first book in the series. Mr. Belcher is an excellent writer and the reader can't help but get drawn in and swept along. Very original and creative. Can't wait for the next book in the series to see what happens next! ( )
  LongDogMom | Oct 18, 2016 |
A good followup to THE SIX-GUN TAROT, with just as much fantastical Weird West action. Like the first book, it reads like a really epic fantasy roleplaying game that has been turned into a novel, with yet more characters joining the campaign and the gamemaster working mightily to stitch their mythologies together and get them all screen time in the game, even if they aren't really needed for the plot. I particularly like the banter between characters talking about all the minor incidents that haven’t made it into print, making it clear that the novels are just the *biggest* things happening in the extremely strange town of Golgotha. ( )
  slothman | May 30, 2016 |
Another fantastic book. I need more of this world. ( )
  GeekGirlM | Dec 8, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,278,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible