Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales…

Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales (2014)

by Terry Pratchett

English (21)  German (1)  All languages (22)
Terry Pratchett sits fairly high up on my list of must-read authors. His brand of writing, with its wit and whimsy, never fails to delight me. That meant, of course, that I wanted to read his Middle Grade short story compilation the minute I knew it existed. I was thrilled by the fact that these were all stories Pratchett wrote as a boy and, awesomely enough, were the launchpad for a lot of his writing now.

First off, I want to praise Mark Beech for his illustrations. They perfectly compliment the stories inside this book! I was actually so enamored with them that I had to go and look his portfolio up online. There's something whimsical about his illustrations which, as I mentioned above, matches the whimsy in Pratchett's stories. I can absolutely see sitting next to a young reader and sharing these stories with them before bed!

As to the stories themselves, I really believe that these will appeal to a lot of readers. I wasn't a huge fan of all of them, I felt like some were a little unfinished, but of course I couldn't help but remember that a young Pratchett's wonderful mind created these. That same fun, romping pace I've come to love winds its way through all the stories, and most of them have their own little lessons built in. Best of all, there are giggle-worthy parts thrown in at the most unexpected moments.

Final verdict? Definitely a fun compilation for both Terry Pratchett fans, and those looking for a set of short stories to share with their kids! I don't like to compare books, but I'll be honest in saying that these reminded me a lot of Roald Dahl. Trust me, that's a huge compliment. Enjoy! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Great stories for kids, very funny fantasy ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I love books by Terry Pratchett... It was a bit of a letdown as some of the tales were taken out of previously published books... Still enjoyed reading them again! :-) ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
Everyone starts somewhere.... The late, great Sir Terry started here with short stories for kiddies published in a local newspaper. It's an impressive collection for one so young, but these barely hint on the greatness that would follow. ( )
  DLMorrese | Aug 23, 2017 |
Verrry early Pratchett. A collection of fantastical tales for kids, published in the British newspaper "Bucks Free Press." It's a cute collection for the most part (I particularly liked the illustrations), filled with the gentle humor that would be acceptable to the newspaper reading public. While there's a couple of stories that foreshadowed his first novel (The Carpet People), it's stand alone stories of knights and wizards and explorers and princes and young people in love. A quick read. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 2, 2017 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beech, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Colin, who spent far too much of his time digging around in dusty cupboards to find all of this material that I had carefully hidden away and very deliberately forgot all about. And to my younger self who thought these stories were pretty good ... Oh, I could teach that lad a thing or two!
Focus on a planet revolving in space... - Introduction
In the days of King Arthur there were no newspapers, only town criers, who went around shouting the news at the tops of their voices. - Dragons at Crumbling Castle

An illustrated collection of fourteen short stories featuring dragons and wizards, councilors and mayors, an adventurous tortoise and a monster in a lake, along with plenty of pointy hats and a few magic spells, written when the author was a teenaged newspaper reporter.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,340,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible