dismiss

Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales…

Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales (2014)

by Terry Pratchett

A beautifully illustrated collection of short stories by master storyteller Sir Terry Pratchett, featuring dragons, dinosaurs, cavemen and car races! Dragons have invaded Crumbling Castle, and all of King Arthur's knights are either on holiday or visiting their grannies. It's a disaster! Luckily, there's a spare suit of armour and a very small boy called Ralph who's willing to fill it. Together with Fortnight the Friday knight and Fossfiddle the wizard, Ralph sets out to defeat the fearsome fire-breathers. But there's a teeny weeny surprise in store... Fourteen fantastically funny stories from master storyteller Sir Terry Pratchett, full of time travel and tortoises, monsters and mayhem!… (more)

English (25)  German (1)  All languages (26)
This is a collection of some of the late great Sir Terry's earliest work, originally written in the late 1960's and early 1970's that has been repackaged and delightfully illustrated by the artist Mark Beech.

There are some amusing tales in here, and these are some of the first stories of the tiny people that became the Carpet People later on. It is a book primarily written for children, but hey, it's Terry Pratchett. The stories are not complicated, but you do get a feeling for the way his mind was working even then, and what it is also very clear are the elements and raw materials that were used in the fabulous Discworld Series.

Now just need to make sure my children read it... ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
Fortunately, he got better. ( )
  mike.wallace | Jan 10, 2020 |
this was adorable. and the illustrations are great! I particularly liked the short stories about the carpet people. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
When a boring prince uses his boring power to make a dragon falls asleep. And a bus trace through time. You know you are not reading a conventional children stories.

I like the conflict resolution in this book. Not a lot of violence but lot of reasoning to why the the characters did.

When a baby dragon wondered off, the castle is being invaded by dragons. What else can you do?

the carpet people were pretty cool too. Edge. If the carpet is like. Edge of the world for people who lived in carpet.

Overall, pretty entertaining for children , and some adults who get it. ( )
  XOX | Apr 25, 2019 |
Terry Pratchett sits fairly high up on my list of must-read authors. His brand of writing, with its wit and whimsy, never fails to delight me. That meant, of course, that I wanted to read his Middle Grade short story compilation the minute I knew it existed. I was thrilled by the fact that these were all stories Pratchett wrote as a boy and, awesomely enough, were the launchpad for a lot of his writing now.

First off, I want to praise Mark Beech for his illustrations. They perfectly compliment the stories inside this book! I was actually so enamored with them that I had to go and look his portfolio up online. There's something whimsical about his illustrations which, as I mentioned above, matches the whimsy in Pratchett's stories. I can absolutely see sitting next to a young reader and sharing these stories with them before bed!

As to the stories themselves, I really believe that these will appeal to a lot of readers. I wasn't a huge fan of all of them, I felt like some were a little unfinished, but of course I couldn't help but remember that a young Pratchett's wonderful mind created these. That same fun, romping pace I've come to love winds its way through all the stories, and most of them have their own little lessons built in. Best of all, there are giggle-worthy parts thrown in at the most unexpected moments.

Final verdict? Definitely a fun compilation for both Terry Pratchett fans, and those looking for a set of short stories to share with their kids! I don't like to compare books, but I'll be honest in saying that these reminded me a lot of Roald Dahl. Trust me, that's a huge compliment. Enjoy! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beech, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Colin, who spent far too much of his time digging around in dusty cupboards to find all of this material that I had carefully hidden away and very deliberately forgot all about. And to my younger self who thought these stories were pretty good ... Oh, I could teach that lad a thing or two!
Focus on a planet revolving in space... - Introduction
In the days of King Arthur there were no newspapers, only town criers, who went around shouting the news at the tops of their voices. - Dragons at Crumbling Castle

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,620,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible