A Bollywood Affair by Sonali Dev

A Bollywood Affair

by Sonali Dev

Mili Rathod hasn't seen her husband in twenty years--not since she was promised to him at the age of four. Yet marriage has allowed Mili a freedom rarely given to girls in her village. Her grandmother has even allowed her to leave India and study in America for eight months, all to make her the perfect modern wife. Which is exactly what Mili longs to be--if her husband would just come and claim her. Bollywood's favorite director, Samir Rathod, has come to Michigan to secure a divorce for his older brother. Persuading a naïve village girl to sign the papers should be easy for someone with Samir's tabloid-famous charm. But Mili is neither a fool nor a gold-digger. Open-hearted yet complex, she's trying to reconcile her independence with cherished traditions. And before he can stop himself, Samir is immersed in Mili's life--cooking her dal and rotis, escorting her to her roommate's elaborate Indian wedding, and wondering where his loyalties and happiness lie.… (more)

Ehh just okay. Some parts were entertaining but I lost interest towards the end and skimmed the last bit. Will not continue the series. ( )
  preetibee | Aug 31, 2019 |
A surprisingly decent romance novel. Not my usual genre, but not bad. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Mili was four when she got married in a ceremony in the small Indian village where she lives with her grandmother. Though she's worked to go to college and finally to America, she still dreams of her husband finally coming to claim her. Meanwhile, that husband, thinking the marriage was annulled years ago, has remarried and is expecting a child. He sends his brother Samir, a well-known Bollywood director, to get Mili to sign the annulment papers, and when Samir and Mili meet all sorts of hijinks ensue.

I get the sense from looking over responses to this book that I missed some of the nods to Bollywood in this story. I like Mili and enjoyed the slow burn of her romance as she falls in love while feeling like she shouldn't. Samir took me longer to warm up to. He is a playboy and rough around the edges, a bit too bossy and arrogant though with a good heart. The details about Indian culture and food rounded out the story nicely, and actually I was interested in learning a bit more about the laws surrounding child marriages, but I suppose getting too into that would've made this a different story altogether. Pleasant reading, and when I'm in the right mood I'll pick up another of Sonali Dev's romances. ( )
  bell7 | May 14, 2019 |
Fun lighthearted and a total delicious candy bar of a book. Definitely “beach reading”
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
Since the age of four, Mili Rathod has been married and seeking to be the perfect Indian wife. Towards that goal, she has educated herself while caring for her father-in-law and grandmother. At 24, she’s now traveled to Michigan to seek an advanced degree. However, Virat Rathod and his family have viewed the marriage as annulled. When Mili’s grandmother calls upon the Rathod’s commitment, Samir is drafted to go to America to clear up the mess. As one of Bollywood’s most famous and charming screenwriting directors, Samir expects a short quick trip to stop a gold-digger. Meanwhile Mili may be naïve, but is accustomed to getting her way with tenacity, strategy, and guile. Because their relationship starts off on the wrong foot, Mili comes to know Samir as a friend before discovering his underlying motive. With both trapped between family obligations, striving for independence, and yearning for love, Dev has created a captivating contemporary romance.

Television, film, and voice actress Priy Ayyar deftly handles multiple characters, personalities, and genders across two continents. Her audio version draws the listener into the emotionally complex story. She teases the suspense until the listener is breathlessly waiting for truth to be revealed. ( )
  ktoonen | Apr 16, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,957,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible