Love, Lucy

by April Lindner

After accepting a trip to Europe as a bribe from her parents to attend the college of their choice as a business major, seventeen-year-old Lucy discovers she is unwilling to give up her dream of being an actress--or Jesse, the boy she met in Italy.

(45) ( )
  activelearning | Apr 5, 2016 |
Recommend to fans of Stephanie Perkins and Sarah Dessen. A modern retelling of A Room with a View. ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
A very sweet novel, with wonderful descriptions of all things Italian. I though Lucy to be a bit naïve for the responsibility of international travel with the daughter of her mom's co-worker, but I guess that goes with the Room with a View like theme. ( )
  ethel55 | May 8, 2015 |
April Lindner’s Love, Lucy is a sweet — if predictable — young adult novel perfect for armchair travelers. With its warm Italian breezes, vivid scenery and romantic settings, Lucy’s time exploring Europe before her freshman year of college reads like something out of a dream . . . especially when a guitar-playing free spirit enters the scene.

Though I’ll admit to liking the first half of the book — set abroad — more than the second, Lucy is a likeable heroine struggling to appease her difficult father while still being true to herself. In love with theatre, she feels alive on stage . . . but her dad, who happens to be footing the bill for her college education, has little interest in the arts.

After their chance meeting and mutual attraction, it’s Jesse that gets Lucy thinking about how life could be should she leave the safe path her parents have laid for her to chase her dreams. I found the conflict realistic and, for many, familiar: choose the comfortable route, or dare to be bold?

Though Lucy and Jesse never felt totally formed as characters, I didn’t mind the lightness with which I read Love, Lucy. It was sweet, uncomplicated and relatable, especially as Lucy struggles to choose between a new love interest and the wild Jesse. Intimacy definitely plays a role in the storyline, so bear that in mind for younger readers.

If you’d like to take a walk through Italy without leaving the comfort of your porch, Lindner’s fun story may be your ticket. The scenes in Florence and Rome took me back to my own trip there in 2007, and I loved reliving that experience through Lucy’s eyes. ( )
1 vote writemeg | Mar 12, 2015 |
This is a pleasant romance with a European tie in. It lacked some of the humor of Anna and the French Kiss, but will appeal to fans of that book. It suffers from the usual problems with these types of books - instalove, angsty protagonist who gets into trouble when she hides things and tell lies. She is a bit of a spoiled, stubborn person. And the end wraps up a bit too quickly and too neatly. Still, as I said, it will have high appeal for its target audience. I can see myself recommending it to some of my teen patrons.

3.5 stars

I received a free ARC through Netgalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  AngelaCinVA | Feb 14, 2015 |
For Dorothee Heisenberg, la mia amica di una vita
After a sleepless night on the train to Florence, Lucy Sommersworth and Charlene Barr checked into the Hostel Bertolini groggy and dishevelled but with high expectations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,551,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible