The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (2015)

by Paige McKenzie

Other authors: Alyssa B. Sheinmel (Author)

Series: The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (1)

Shortly after her sixteenth birthday, Sunshine Griffith and her mother Kat move from sunny Austin, Texas, to the rain-drenched town of Ridgemont, Washington. Though Sunshine is adopted, she and her mother have always been close, sharing a special bond filled with laughter and inside jokes. But from the moment they arrive, Sunshine feels her world darken with an eeriness she cannot place. And even if Kat doesn't recognize it, Sunshine knows that something about their new house is just ... creepy.… (more)

English (33)  Italian (1)  All languages (34)
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl is about, appropriately enough, a girl named Sunshine, who has just turned sixteen when her mother is offered a job in Washington State. When they move into their new home, Sunshine immediately senses that things in this house are not as they should be. Unexplainable things begin to occur in the house, as Sunshine's mother, Kat, becomes more and more distant and irritable. At her new school, Sunshine meets Nolan, who believes the stories she tells him are true and begins to help her piece together what is happening in her house. This book is well written. Sunshine's troubles and emotions are easily identifiable even though the events are scary and other-worldly. I believe that young adults are going to love this book based on the original series, which appears on youtube.com. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
ghost/demon story with 16-y.o. female lead. This was pretty spooky/suspenseful, and I was almost tempted to keep reading, but in the end I figured it better suited for a different reader. Sunshine reminds me of a modern Nancy Drew (loves vintage clothing, film photography, and reading Jane Austen) but didn't resonate as well as I'd have liked. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This was really dumb, but it was also pretty fun. Nothing about it was in any way special or remarkable. The writing sucked. It's supposedly YA but it felt really juvenile. It was soooooo cliche, and I don't think there was a single original thing about it. The characters had no personality, and I don't even remember them anymore tbh. It also felt really dumbed down, as if the author thought teens weren't intelligent creatures. The plot was weak and made very little sense, and the ending was super rushed. But I enjoyed myself. It was a hella fun, creepy and mildly terrifying read.

And that's really all I have to say about it. The Haunting of Sunshine Girl was astonishingly mediocre.

***Initial Reaction, October 7, 2018***

This was... Unremarkable. It was really low quality, and super cliche, but it was also a really fun read. RTC. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl was very promising in the first quarter of the book as a nice little YA creepy thriller. However, it lost something for me at that point when it became more about Sunshine and her history/destiny. I hadn't even minded the typical teen romance as it was very subdued. I thought the boyfriend was a little too convenient and a little too nice, though. Who is going to believe in a haunting and offer to help a complete stranger? I know it would have been hard to make a series from the book if it had just ended in typical ghost story style with no "this is what she's meant to do" plot, but I think I would have enjoyed it more. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
2.5 Stars

Full review to come! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |

McKenzie, PaigeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sheinmel, Alyssa B.Authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This book is dedicated to Sunshiners everywhere.  Whether you've been there since the beginning  or you're new to the club, this - and every Sunshine book - is for you.
She turned sixteen today.
She turned sixteen today.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,477,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible