The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter: The 23 Original Peter Rabbit Books (1989)

by Beatrix Potter

Series: Peter Rabbit (1-23)

The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin, The Tailor of Gloucester, The Tale of Benjamin Bunny, The Tale of Two Bad Mice, The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, The Tale of The Pie and the Patty-Pan, The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher, The Story of Miss Moppett, The Tale of Tom Kitten, The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck, The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding, The Tale of Flopsy Bunnies, The Tale of Ginger and Pickles, The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse, The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes, The Tale of Mr. Tod, The Tela of Pigling Bland, Appley Dapply's Nursery Rhymes, The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse, Cicly Parsley's Nursery Rhymes, and the Tale of Little Pig Robinson.… (more)

English (21)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
Lovely little stories to read aloud. We used these to discuss story structure and writing style. ( )
  dowswell | Jul 25, 2021 |
"The 23 Original Peter Rabbit Books" - the original and aurhorized edition; new colour reproductions.
(from the book cover)
  librisissimo | Jun 27, 2021 |
Deluxe volume containing all 23 Peter Rabbit Tales, complete and unabridged, with all the original illustrations, arranged in order of publication. Also includes 2 early narrative picture sequences and 2 unpublished stories. (from the dust jacket)
  librisissimo | Jun 27, 2021 |
One of the things I liked about this collection of Beatrix Potter stories, rhymes, and paintings is that before each there is text explaining a bit about the story such as when it was written, what was going on in her life at the time it was written, etc.

While a lot of these stories I remember hearing as a child there were also a decent number I hand not read before. Some stories were a bit nonsensical or absurd, though, maybe that is part of the point of those? It was also interesting to see what was considered appropriate for children in the early 1900s compared to today.

Even though I didn't love all the stories and rhymes, seeing all the lovely paintings and drawings by Potter was a delight. Though some of the stories kept me so pulled in I didn't want to look at the drawing in detail until later because I just wanted to find out the ending of that story.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are words or things that are no longer in popular use today that come up in some of the stories. While it rarely impacts the understanding of the story, there was one in which not knowing what something was did make it quite confusing. ( )
  Sara_Cat | Mar 6, 2021 |
I read somewhere that children like their fairy tales a little scary, rather than saccharinely cute. I didn’t read Beatrix Potter as a child – although I was exposed to some of the stories – but it strikes me that if you identify with the anthropomorphic animals the tales are pretty grim. Peter Rabbit’s father was made into a pie by Mrs. MacGregor. Tom Kitten almost meets his end as a roly-poly pudding for Samuel Whiskers. Jemima Puddleduck is tricked into supplying her own stuffing. And Little Pig Robinson almost ends up as a birthday dinner. Kind of creepy; this sort of stuff never happens to Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck or Bugs Bunny. (For a variant, see The Tale of Peter Rabbit (Hieroglyph Edition)) ( )
1 vote setnahkt | Dec 11, 2020 |
Do NOT combine with "The complete adventures of Peter Rabbit" or the Complete Adventures of another character - these are a subset of the complete tales.
Original tales 1-23

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0723257639, 0723264538, 0723268010, 0723268126

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,373,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible