The Ten Word Game by Jonathan Gash

The Ten Word Game (2003)

by Jonathan Gash

I've been reading the Lovejoy books since the first one in the series and that is probably why I'm disappointed with this one. The first ones were so great that this one doesn't compare. Also, because Lovejoy got shanghaied, Tinker wasn't in this book and I do love Tink.

As I was reading this book I kept thinking about the reviews I've seen for Lee Child's last book [b:A Wanted Man|13359067|A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher, #17)|Lee Child|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333623254s/13359067.jpg|18587348] with readers complaining that Reacher spent 3/4 of the book riding in a car. Well, that's how I felt about this book. The first 3/4 of the book was kind of filler. We were tossed some crumbs of antique trivia to keep us around but basically it was nothing. The story that comes out in the last 1/4 of the book has enough depth and breadth to have given us a whole book's worth but, instead, we are given a short story.

Lovejoy says something interesting on p. 238: "Is there anything more useless than a prologue, a preface, a foreword, or an introduction? If they've anything to say, I always think, get on with it and stop annoying us." Couldn't have said it better myself. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |

Another Lovejoy book, from the later end of the series, and operating very much to the formula of richly realised foreign setting (in this case a cruise ship going round the Baltic, with special attention to St Petersburg), with Lovejoy mixed p in a heist most of whose details are incomprehensible (and remain so) and his supernatural sense of detecting genuine antiques a key plot point. The harder edges of the character from the earlier books are considerably toned down, no doubt under the influence of the TV series, and he doesn't actually manage to have sex with anyone until more than half way through (though then vigorously makes up for the delay). ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 26, 2012 |
Thanks: Ta, Susan. Jackie with love.
The woman beside me slept.

A mystery in the long-running series featuring the well-known antiques "divvy" and general bad boy, Lovejoy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:16 -0400)

"Cash's Lovejoy, whose numerous escapades have earned him an army of delighted followers, is never completely out of trouble. But in Lovejoy's own world, there are those who have it in for the brash antiques dealer: his dealer, competitors, his customers, numerous delightful women (and sometimes their husbands), and the British police, aided by an avid bounty hunter. Usually Lovejoy can slide out from under, with the help of his rare skill as a "divvy," a person with the inborn ability to "divine" the authenticity of an artifact. When that doesn't work, he's very good at talking himself out of trouble. Failing all else, he runs.". "Lovejoy is running now. The bounty hunter is on his trail, the police want him for stealing a forgery he created himself, and he has been reduced to clerking in a bric-a-brac store catering to tourists in the city of Southampton. His plan is to flee the country on one of the port's many visiting cruise ships. This time, though, partly due to the treachery of an old flame and partly to some canny planning on the part of a clever criminal, Lovejoy is tricked into being held on a ship when it sails. He's treated royally as a passenger, but to his dismay he discovers that they need his knowledge for the commission of a crime in a foreign country that will result in one of the most daring and amazing thefts in history. But exactly what they want him to do remains a mystery. When he finally finds out, his former trouble will seem to be mere schoolboy scrapes."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,458,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible