James Herriot's Dog Stories (1986)

by James Herriot

In this heartwarming collection of favorite stories about dogs great and small, James Herriot tells us about his own dogs and all the wonderful people and animals we have come to love so much. Fifty memorable tales move us to both laughter and tears, and Herriot's personal introduction and notes make this tribute by a master storyteller to man's best friend a book to read, reread, and be treasured for years to come.… (more)

English (13)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
A heartwarming, often droll collection of stories of dogs and their owners derived from the author's veterinary experiences in Yorkshire. ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
Mindig tudtam, hogy a kutyások jó fejek! No, de hogy a kutyadokik ilyen jól írjanak?!? Csak ámulok! Nagyon jól szórakoztunk rajta! Igazán szívmelengető és elgondolkodtató történetek emberekről és kutyákról egyaránt. Azt a pár cifra káromkodást a humorhoz és a jellemrajzhoz soroltuk... ;-) ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
I have been a fan of James Herriot and his writings since I was a teenager, when I first discovered All Creatures Great and Small. This author has a way of taking the ordinary events of each day in the life of a veterinarian, and making them funny, or poignant.

Some of the short stories within this particular collection are old favorites from his previously published works, but all are well worth reading again. There are the funny tales, the sweet touching stories, and the accounts that make you tear up, even though the events were some 70 years ago.

People and dogs are the same now as then, both good and bad, and reading this book should remind you to appreciate the wonderful gift we have in canine companionship. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 17, 2017 |
Diary of individual dog stories ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
Sweet stories about dogs and their people set in the 1930s-50s in the rural English Yorkshire countryside, with lovely watercolor illustrations by Lesley Holmes, and taken from the author's earlier charming books, such as All Creatures Great and Small. ( )
  andreasaria | Jan 24, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

To my youngest grandchild, Katrina, with love
As I look through the pages of this book I have the impression of a wheel turning full circle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,021,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible