HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Happy Holidays! The 12 Days of LT scavenger hunt is going on. Can you solve the clues?
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Unknown Unknown by Mark Forsyth
Loading...

The Unknown Unknown (2014)

by Mark Forsyth

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
968181,545 (4.04)8

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 8 mentions

Showing 1-5 of 8 (next | show all)
A nice mini pamphlet about unknown unknowns (with appropriate respect to Rumsfeld) and serendipity in bookstores.

Would like to read some of Forsyth's full-length work... probably Etymologicon first. ( )
  stonecrops | Nov 26, 2018 |
"Ci sono cose che sappiamo di sapere. Ci sono cose che sappiamo di non sapere. Ma c’è anche l’ignoto ignoto, cioè le cose che non sappiamo di non sapere."

Forse è vero, i libri che non hai letto sono i migliori. Non li hai letti perché li avevi sempre fatti attendere sugli scaffali, li hai magari leggiucchiati, la presentazione, la recensione, la citazione. Ne sai comunque qualcosa. Poi ci sono i libri che non hai mai saputo che esistessero, non pensavi che potessero essere stati scritti e che magari avresti voluto leggerli, se non addirittura scriverli tu. Poi ci sono tutti quegli altri libri che non potrai mai leggere, scrivere, possedere. I libri della biblioteca di Babele, la biblioteca del mondo. Già, perché se ogni uomo è un libro, immaginatevi quale biblioteca sia quella scritta da tutti gli uomini che furono, sono stati, sono e poi saranno. Ci sarà da leggere dall'altra parte del mondo!
( )
  AntonioGallo | Nov 2, 2017 |
Clever and funny. This brings up the question I've been asking for as long as I can remember....namely, when a teacher says, "Be sure to ask questions when you don't understand something", what do you do when you don't know that you don't understand something. How do I know when I don't know something? Over the years I've asked teachers that very thing and I've never gotten a response that was worth the effort they put into it. There are several reasons why I did not get into teaching even though I did return to school and get a teaching certificate some years later. This is one of them....Teachers do not, for the most part, understand that they don't understand everything. I did not want to become part of that culture. Yet this booklet does a marvelous job of unmasking this little anomaly in the way so many people think. Tis worth the few minutes of anyone's time to read it....Picked this up at the Islamic bookshop, Wardah Books, in Singapore. ( )
  untraveller | Apr 29, 2017 |
Although it might say nothing new and is preaching to the converted, this is a nice short essay on the benefits of browsing in bookshops to help broaden your reading horizons.
However for such a short essay, Mark Forsyth does self-depreciate himself over drinking too much for my taste. ( )
  CarltonC | Jan 27, 2017 |
A very short book (essay?) that sums up my feelings about bookstores. Even though I love my kindle, I'll never stop buying physical books. ( )
1 vote BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 8 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Mark Forsythprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leene, AnnekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

No library descriptions found.

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.04)
0.5
1
1.5 1
2 1
2.5
3 2
3.5
4 14
4.5 5
5 5

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible