The Rottweiler by Ruth Rendell

The Rottweiler (2003)

by Ruth Rendell

English (8)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (10)
I suppose the reader is expected to enjoy the slightly quirky interactions between the various people in Inez’s antiques shop with all their multi-ethnicity but I’m afraid I felt that this first part of the book was really tedious. And of course in popular fiction like this it’s pretty essential to grip the reader from the start. Instead we have over twenty named characters in the first thirty odd pages and an equal number unnamed so the reader’s having to hold quite a bit in their minds.

I’m not sure which – the characterisation or the plot – made me dislike this book. The innocent Will with his learning difficulties seemed one-dimensional, more a necessity for a somewhat unlikely plot. Inez too readily allows all the inconsistencies to flow past her – she explains away Jeremy Quick’s thirty-six year old girlfriend having an eighty-eight year old mother and she seems inured to Zeinab’s continual excuse for being late – though I found the repetition of ‘you know I’ve no concept of time’ irritating. And why aren’t she and Zeinab’s suitors suspicious about the way she allows none of them near her home?

And on top of this we’ve got that escalation of violence that has happened in crime fiction, authors outdoing each other to become more extreme. So many murders made them lose any impact while so much gawking by the characters left me critical of them.

Rendell may have points to make about the press but her rather simple explanation of the murderer’s motivation is unconvincing. And that last chapter wrapping up absolutely everything – oh dear! ( )
  evening | Jun 14, 2017 |
A long, slow read, with no real suspense. A whole lot of character development of people incidental to the central crime, to no good purpose. Stupidest policemen ever. Rendell had an interesting idea here---a serial killer who analyzes himself, figures out what made him do it, and devises a plan to stop himself---but she buried it under a bushel of other little life stories that really had no bearing on it whatsoever. A bit 44 Scotland Street-ish, which would have been all right, maybe, if I hadn't been expecting a crime/mystery. Rendell has written much better things. 2 1/2 stars

Review written in March, 2011 ( )
1 vote laytonwoman3rd | Sep 4, 2014 |
I am a big fan of Rendell's standalone novels, but I was quite disappointed in this one. Other reviews complain about the fact that she revealed who the murderer was very early, but in many of her standalone novels, the identity of the murderer/criminal is never in question. Her psychological analyses of the individuals are what makes the books so good. But in my opinion, this book was too cluttered with superfluous characters and their stories, and the killer's story wasn't that interesting. It sort of felt like she was phoning this one in. ( )
  AlaMich | May 2, 2012 |
This isn't really about a serial killer and it isn't a murder mystery - it feels more like an expanded set of short stories that are all linked together. I would call it a 'motive mystery.' I don't mind knowing who the killer is early on - being in that character's head or having that piece of information usually makes the story a bit creepier than a regular mystery. Though not as creepy as I wanted it to be, I still suspected all the characters of hiding some horrible secret or keeping a sinister motive. I disliked most of the characters in the beginning, and my preferences for some characters over others shifted as the story went on. I am not satisfied with some of the resolution - I wish the last chapter hadn't been there at all, or at least had not tied up the ending so neatly. ( )
1 vote sarah-e | Apr 14, 2011 |
I generally like Rendell's work, but this one is very pedestrian and lacking any characters I could like. Virtually everyone in the story is bent, even though they are supposedly ordinary people. The killer is identified half way through, and the remainder of the book follows his attempts to understand his pathology and explores the various crooked foibles of the other characters. I finished it, but only. Two stars are for books I finish but would never ever waste time reading a second time. One star is reserved for books I throw against the wall in disgust before finishing them. ( )
  BillHall | Feb 16, 2011 |

Ruth Rendellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Costigliola, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The first murder victim had a bite mark on her neck. When the tabloids got hold of the story, they immediately called the deranged killer 'The Rottweiler', and the name stuck. The latest body was discovered very near Inez Ferry's antique shop in Marylebone. Someone spotted a shadowy figure running away past the station, but couldn't say for sure if it was a man or a woman. There were only two other clues. The murderer seemed to have a preference for strangling his victims and then removing something personal - like a cigarette lighter or a necklace. Trinkets very similar to those mysteriously appearing in Inez's shop...Since her actor husband died, too early into their marriage, Inez supplemented her modest income by taking in tenants above the shop. As her collection of antique trinkets grows, so does Inez's fear that she is harbouring a psychopathic murderer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:42 -0400)

The first girl had a bite mark on her neck, but the police traced the DNA to her boyfriend. Nevertheless, when the tabloids got hold of the story, they called the killer 'The Rottweiler', and the name stuck.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,643,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible