An Evil Mind by Chris Carter

An Evil Mind

by Chris Carter

"A freak accident in rural Wyoming leads the Sheriff's Department to arrest a man for a possible double homicide, but further investigations suggest a much more horrifying discovery -- a serial killer who has been kidnapping, torturing and mutilating victims all over the United States for at least twenty-five years. The suspect claims he is a pawn in a huge labyrinth of lies and deception -- can he be believed?" --… (more)

English (10)  German (2)  All languages (12)
I have been having some major health problems just lately so this is my first review in several months and it is also the only book I have started reading and actually made it all the way to the end so for that I am extremely thankful for Chris Carter and An Evil Mind. I am praying he may have fixed my readers block as I have immediately picked up his new book Hunting Evil and it has made me excited about picking up a book again. So again – Thank You!

Being in pain constantly can really get you down so I have been battling with depression as well this time round. Up until now books have been my escape from the pain and illness but this time I lost the ability to do that no matter how many times I tried, and that just added to everything. The depression even with being prescribed anti depressants was still so bad I was and still do have days where I haven’t wanted to carry on. Life can feel like it would be better off without me, that I can’t and haven’t wanted to carry on, to the point that I had lined up all of my painkiller boxes, the anti depressants and the 2 boxes of sleeping pills with a bottle of vodka and that was what I was going to do, I was going to take them all just to make the pain and all the feelings, all the emotions just STOP. I had even gone as far as to leave a note on the front door saying; “Please do not come in, call the police and stay outside. I am sorry and I don’t want to put you through any more than I already have so please DO NOT COME IN. Sorry. I love you”

In the end it was the fact that someone would have to find me and I couldn’t do that to my daughter as it would have been her, she is only 16 and what finding me would do to her psychologically wouldn’t have been anything good but it hasn’t taken away me wanting to go down that path and those feelings have still been a daily internal battle. And these days it is small things that help make the day bearable and yesterday it was reading and actually completing reading this book, to actually be able to finish a book is a massive win for me. And the even bigger positive, I am excited about reading his new book. It is the first thing that has made me excited for anything in months. It’s almost a miracle in my tiny little world at the moment. If there was ever a time in my life when I needed a positive, this is it.

And for now this is it – my one little positive – I actually read, finished and enjoyed a whole book, start to finish! And also doing a book review, this is the first review I have attempted in a long time and been in a place to be able to do a review.

And what a book it turned out to be. Possibly not the kind of uplifting, feel good type of book I should have read but still a brilliantly clever read. I would love to be able to read Lucians notebooks, so if Chris Carter ever wrote those I would be in the queue to read them.

Even though it is a work of fiction it would still make great reading for anyone studying criminal psychology or criminology as both the main characters, Robert and Lucian are so well written and the knowledge of the author Chris Carter in those areas really shines throughout. The fact that he studied psychology with specialisation in criminal behaviour and worked as a criminal psychologist gives his books an advantage over other books in this genre giving them that edge.

All his books have been good but for me this one has by far been my favourite because of the look into his best character so far, Lucien Folter. He is the most intriguing fictional character I have ever come across and can not wait to read more about him in Chris Carters new book that has just been published on 2 May 2019 Hunting Evil.

This book is centred around the capture of an evil genius that has been on a killing spree exceeding 25 years completely undetected, a master psychologist who is killing, escalating his kills and documenting them in the name of research.

It is also about his relationship with the head of the Ultra Violent Crime Devision, Robert Hunter, also a phycology major so it is a meeting of minds that both combine to make a fascinatingly disturbing read.

If the minds of killers interest you then this is a book that will blow you away and is one not to be missed.

Very clever, very disturbing and very addictive, An Evil Mind is Chris Carters best book to date.

There is a follow up book Hunting Evil which was published on 2 May 2109 of which I will be reading next 😀

https://debbiesbookreviews.wordpress.com/2019/05/05/an-evil-mind-robert-hunter-6... ( )
  DebTat2 | May 4, 2019 |
This was a great group read on LT with @Andrew65 but definitely very gritty and not for the feint of heart. A very hard investigation for Robert Hunter when the culprit was his college roommate and is now a serial killer. This roller coaster ride will leave you breathless. Lots of twists and cliffhangers keep you glued until the last page. Recommended for gritty thriller lovers! Can't wait to read the next installment! ( )
  EadieB | Sep 12, 2018 |
If you don't care for gritty, dark mysteries then Chris Carter is not the author for you. At the very beginning of the book Carter makes a statement that you may find quiet disturbing for what it implies. "This novel differs immensely from all my previous books, mainly because this is the first thriller I've written in which most of the plot and characters are based on real facts and people I met during my criminal-behavior-psychology days. The names have been changed for obvious reasons." While reading it try to imagine this monster actually existing and walking among us....sitting down to dinner in the same restaurant...riding the same bus and watching you. If that doesn't give you chills and nightmares then this excellently told story certainly will. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 11, 2018 |
This is my favorite book of this series to far. LAPD Detective Robert Hunter faces another serial killer, but this one is the most creative character yet! Lucien is Robert's former college roommate and friend who he lost contact with over the years. However, Lucien never forgot Robert and followed his life, even managing to kill Robert's fiancee, a crime that remained unsolved until now. In fact, Lucien managed to fly under for radar for a quarter of a century, killing and writing about it. His and Robert's history made this story even better. This was a fantastic read! ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jun 10, 2018 |
An Evil Mind is a suspense thriller with Detective Robert Taylor of the LAPD, who is on loan to the FBI for this serial murder case. In this case, the killer is a college friend of Taylor's, who turns out to be a sadistic sociopath who has been killing for the last 25 years. He would only confess if Taylor was brought in, so he was. Wow. From there it is a roller coaster ride of suspense and pure intensity. It was so hard to put down, as I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. The last quarter of the book had some twists that I did not see coming, but were fabulous to the storyline. It was a thrill ride that I would recommend to anyone who likes suspense books. It is well worth it. ( )
  BonnieKernene | Apr 27, 2017 |
*** 3 out of 5 Stars
Review by: Mark Palm

Quid Pro Quo

Current FBI statistics state that there is somewhere between 35 to 50 serial killers active at any given time in the United States. You can believe these stats or not, but if you were to judge by thriller novels there is a whole lot more than that. I have read several excellent novels the past few years featuring serial killers, so it can be done, but their very ubiquity of the concept means that writers have to have a fresh take if they want to go down that road. An Evil Mind by Chris Carter is a good thriller, but it isn’t quite original enough to be considered a real standout.

A traffic accident leads to the discovery of two severed heads in the trunk of a car. Robert Hunter, a detective for the Los Angeles Ultra Violent Crime Group, and a excellent criminal profiler, is asked by the FBI to aid them in this case, because the accused will only speak with Robert Hunter. It turns out that the man, named Lucien Folter, was Hunter’s room-mate at college. After this revelation most of the rest of the book is a series of interrogations between Hunter and Folter, with Agent Courtney Taylor along for the ride. There are plenty of twists and turns in Folter’s story, but for long stretches all we get are conversations between the three, with Hunter determinedly not reacting.

About half way through the pace picks up a bit when Folter reveals that he has a live hostage hidden away who will die unless they acquiesce to his his demands. It adds a bit more tension to the story but it’s a device that has been used a lot before. There’s a lot of quid pro quo going on, and Folter spends an inordinate amount of time trying to get under everyone’s skin as his stories of his murders becomes more and more monstrous and gruesome. There are some genuine thrills and chills along the way but Folter’s explanation of his “mission” an attempt to create an “encyclopedia of evil”, strains credulity. Still, the plot picks up speed when the action does, and the characters start to do more than sit around and talk. Near the end he manages to get the investigators to accede to a ton of his demands, and they make some big mistakes, but the finale is satisfying and surprising.

Mr. Carter knows how to creep a reader out, and generate suspense. The prose was transparent in the best way, but most of the characters, including Folter, didn’t quite come to life. Still, if you want a twisted scary thriller, you could do a lot worse that An Evil Mind.

Full reviews available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,752,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible