Magic Shifts

by Ilona Andrews, Andrew Gordon (Author's real name), Ilona Gordon (Co-author's real name)

Series: Kate Daniels World (8), Kate Daniels (8)

"After breaking from life with the Pack, mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate--former Beast Lord Curran Lennart-- are adjusting to a very different pace. While they're thrilled to escape all the infighting, Kate and Curran know that separating from the Pack completely is a process that will take time. But when they learn that their friend Eduardo has gone missing, Kate and Curran shift their focus to investigate his disappearance. Eduardo was a fellow member of the Mercenary Guild, so Kate knows the best place to start looking is at his most recent jobs. As Kate and Curran dig further into the merc's business, they discover that the Guild has gone to hell and that Eduardo's assignments are connected in the most sinister way...An ancient enemy has arisen, and Kate and Curran are the only ones who can stop it--before it takes their city apart piece by piece" -- Publisher's description.… (more)

Ilona Andrews is one of my favorite authors and the Kate Daniels series is my favorite of all the books that the husband/wife duo write. The writing style is fast paced and engaging and the characters are completely believable despite the fantastical elements that surround all the books. These books are a must read for me and I eagerly devour them and count the months until the next one arrives. I love that despite the occult and romance leanings of these books there is still a generous dose of humor. I highly recommend the Kate Daniels series ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
reread from 6 november until 7 nov
reading this the second time was much More enjoyable. lesson learned, don't read books in a series directly as an audiobook.

18 november 2015
Hmm I liked it but I didn't loved it.

And I don't really know why.

Still I'm hooked on this series so yeah.. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |

"Does everybody think I'm an asshole?" Curran asked.

"Only people who know you or have met you.

After a while of Curran and Kate being Beast Lord and Consort, dealing with all things Pack and Pack politics, it's really nice to get back to a more Kate-the-mercenary feel from the first books. And Curran seems to be dealing well with stepping down from power--by finding a new project to build and run.

Plotwise, on one hand, the big bad has a different, more Arabian flavor than we've seen before--new magic is almost always interesting in a kitchen sink style world. I especially like their take on ghouls. Making them intelligent/retain their personality (especially when vampires do not) is a fascinating choice. And being essentially a larval/early form of djinni? Neat!

On the other hand, it's a bit of a step down from the previous ramping of the last few books. That's somewhat made up for by the end. I'm thoroughly intrigued by the direction Roland and Kate are taking towards what turns out is the final two books! Eep!

At this point, of course you're going to read the book. Worth it though.

“Curran, please don’t bite his head off.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s illegal. Technically you assaulted him first when you threw him across the lawn.”

“I didn’t throw him very far."

I rolled my eyes.

“I could’ve thrown him straight up and let him land on the pavement.”

“That would also be illegal.”

“You keep bringing this ‘illegal’ thing up as if it means something to me.”
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Good book though I wish it pushed the main plot along more. ( )
  richvalle | Jul 11, 2021 |
Magic Shifts is the eighth book in the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. The implications of the ending of the last book play off in spades in this installment. There is so much going on and it all weaves together brilliantly. The impact of Kate's claiming is starting to be revealed, how the Pack is handling their shake up plus where Kate and Curran take their life next, all combined with the breathless action and interesting mythology that I love about these books. This far into the series I still have no idea how the writers manage to pack so much depth into less than 350 pages.

Kate and Curran are relationship goals. For whatever reason pop culture tends to portray unhealthy relationships on tv and in movies more often than not. It is refreshing to have two main characters who love each other for who they are, embracing their strengths and weaknesses, work together on their problems, are supportive of each other through the bad and good, and do it all in a, for this world, healthy manner. Both characters have grown through the series and they've done it together.

This is easily my favorite book in the series so far. About the only thing missing was more of Roland. Somehow I doubt that will be an issue in the remaining two books. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 10, 2021 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, AndrewAuthor's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, IlonaCo-author's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gill, JasonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

I rode through the night-drenched streets of Atlanta on a mammoth donkey. The donkey's name was Cuddles.

After breaking from life with the Pack, mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate—former Beast Lord Curran Lennart—are adjusting to a very different pace. While they’re thrilled to escape all the infighting, Kate and Curran know that separating from the Pack completely is a process that will take time.

But when they learn that their friend Eduardo has gone missing, Kate and Curran shift their focus to investigate his disappearance. Eduardo was a fellow member of the Mercenary Guild, so Kate knows the best place to start looking is his most recent jobs. As Kate and Curran dig further into the merc’s business, they discover that the Guild has gone to hell and that Eduardo’s assignments are connected in the most sinister way…

An ancient enemy has arisen, and Kate and Curran are the only ones who can stop it—before it takes their city apart piece by piece.
After breaking from life with the Pack, mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate - former Beast Lord Curran Lennart - are adjusting to a very different pace. While they're thrilled to escape all the infighting, Curran misses the constant challenges of leading the shapeshifters.
So when the Pack offers him its stake in the Mercenary Guild, Curran seizes the opportunity - too bad the Guild wants nothing to do with him and Kate. Luckily, as a veteran merc, Kate can take over any of the Guild's unfinished jobs in order to bring in money and build their reputation. But what Kate and Curran don't realize is that the odd jobs they've been working are all connected.
An ancient enemy has arisen, and Kate and Curran are the only ones who can stop it - before it takes their city apart piece by piece....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,301,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible